ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Data free way to view gas stations and prices?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-18, 03:01 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Data free way to view gas stations and prices?

When I had the 2013 ES350, I could be wrong, but I think there was a way to view gas prices during the trial Sirius XM period.

Was this possible?

I don't see anything similar on my 2018 ES350.

I'm trying to see if it's possible for there to be a data-free way to view gas prices. As in, not using my cell phone carrier's data.
Old 06-19-18, 03:32 PM
Kijug
Intermediate

Received 99 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by nuraman00
When I had the 2013 ES350, I could be wrong, but I think there was a way to view gas prices during the trial Sirius XM period.

Was this possible?

I don't see anything similar on my 2018 ES350.

I'm trying to see if it's possible for there to be a data-free way to view gas prices. As in, not using my cell phone carrier's data.
Nope...not in a 2013-2015 ES (have a 2014). You need an XM subscription. With 2016+ you get traffic and weather via HD radio for free (I don't have a 2016 so I don't know how good it is).
Old 06-19-18, 08:48 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kijug
Nope...not in a 2013-2015 ES (have a 2014). You need an XM subscription. With 2016+ you get traffic and weather via HD radio for free (I don't have a 2016 so I don't know how good it is).
Does that mean it is possible, during the trial XM subscription, to view gas prices?
Old 06-19-18, 09:55 PM
john341
Pole Position

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Just an option that I use, which does not lot of data as long as you have location Services turned off. You can download an app called "GasBuddy". which is crowdsourced, and is more accurate than what XM reports.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...droid&hl=en_US
Old 06-19-18, 11:16 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

Originally Posted by john341
Just an option that I use, which does not lot of data as long as you have location Services turned off. You can download an app called "GasBuddy". which is crowdsourced, and is more accurate than what XM reports.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...droid&hl=en_US
Thanks.

I had used the web version before. I guess I can download the app too.
Old 06-20-18, 05:47 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

The 2013 and 2014 ES got various information, including information about nearby gas stations and prices, from the Sirius/XM subscription. For more recent ES, the information does not come from the (Sirius/XM) satellite. Instead, it comes via the HD radio signal, and the information provided does not include information about nearby gas stations or gas prices.

Phone apps, such as GasBuddy, do provide more accurate information than what was provided by the Sirius/XM information on the 2013 and 2014 ES, and the amount of your phone plan bandwidth that is used is quite minimal.

Note, also, that one of the apps in the free Enform App Suite is a fuel guide, which includes information about gas station locations and gas prices. It does use cell plan bandwidth, but, like with the GasBuddy app, I'm sure that the amount of bandwidth used is minimal.

Last edited by lesz; 06-20-18 at 07:45 AM.
Old 06-20-18, 11:05 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

Originally Posted by lesz
The 2013 and 2014 ES got various information, including information about nearby gas stations and prices, from the Sirius/XM subscription. For more recent ES, the information does not come from the (Sirius/XM) satellite. Instead, it comes via the HD radio signal, and the information provided does not include information about nearby gas stations or gas prices.

Phone apps, such as GasBuddy, do provide more accurate information than what was provided by the Sirius/XM information on the 2013 and 2014 ES, and the amount of your phone plan bandwidth that is used is quite minimal.

Note, also, that one of the apps in the free Enform App Suite is a fuel guide, which includes information about gas station locations and gas prices. It does use cell plan bandwidth, but, like with the GasBuddy app, I'm sure that the amount of bandwidth used is minimal.
Thanks.

So I did remember correctly, that it was possible on the 2013 ES. I remember using it for a few months during the XM trial subscription, and then couldn't use it anymore.

In an effort to minimize duplication, and install as few apps as possible, if I had to pick one app, should I do GasBuddy or the Enform App Suite? I am probably never going to use the remote start. So is there much use beyond the fuel guide in the Enform App Suite itself? If so, I might pick that. If not, then maybe I'll go with the dedicate gas app, GasBuddy.

Note: I also have the Glass Break Sensor. If there's something in the Enform App Suite that can be used with the Glass Break Sensor, then maybe I pick that.
Old 06-21-18, 05:13 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Thanks.

So I did remember correctly, that it was possible on the 2013 ES. I remember using it for a few months during the XM trial subscription, and then couldn't use it anymore.

In an effort to minimize duplication, and install as few apps as possible, if I had to pick one app, should I do GasBuddy or the Enform App Suite? I am probably never going to use the remote start. So is there much use beyond the fuel guide in the Enform App Suite itself? If so, I might pick that. If not, then maybe I'll go with the dedicate gas app, GasBuddy.

Note: I also have the Glass Break Sensor. If there's something in the Enform App Suite that can be used with the Glass Break Sensor, then maybe I pick that.
The Enform Remote App and the Enform App Suite are two completely different apps.

The Enform Remote App is the one that you would use to remote start the vehicle, check vehicle status, etc. It requires a paid subscription.

The Enform App Suite is free and contains a handful of different apps, including the Fuel Guide app. The most useful app in the Enform App Suite is, I think, the Destination Assist app. It significantly enhances the capabilities of the navigation system. It allows you to enter destinations into the navigation system with two significant advantages. First, the data base is more complete and up-to-date than is the data base that is in the car. And voice commands work better than when just using the in-car system. I believe that, if you are not using the Destination Assist app, you are not getting the full capabilities of the navigation system.
Old 06-23-18, 12:13 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

Originally Posted by lesz
The Enform Remote App and the Enform App Suite are two completely different apps.

The Enform Remote App is the one that you would use to remote start the vehicle, check vehicle status, etc. It requires a paid subscription.

The Enform App Suite is free and contains a handful of different apps, including the Fuel Guide app. The most useful app in the Enform App Suite is, I think, the Destination Assist app. It significantly enhances the capabilities of the navigation system. It allows you to enter destinations into the navigation system with two significant advantages. First, the data base is more complete and up-to-date than is the data base that is in the car. And voice commands work better than when just using the in-car system. I believe that, if you are not using the Destination Assist app, you are not getting the full capabilities of the navigation system.
Thank you very much for this info.

And for listing the advantages of the destination assist app within the Enform App.

Yes, it was annoying when I had the 2013 ES and the navigation couldn't find a place by name, so I had to manually enter the address.

I haven't run into this yet with the 2018 ES, but I also haven't driven it too many different places. Based on your suggestion, I'll be prepared with the Enform App in the future.