Coilover Spring Rate Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-18, 11:37 PM
airjordan1
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Coilover Spring Rate Help

Hi,

I just ordered a set of BC coilovers from FIGS engineering because I wanted to bundle it together with their front LCA bushing and I customized the spring rates to be 14k/12k but a rep contacted me and recommended going 14k front and rear due to the 3IS having a divorced rear spring and shock set up and that due to the spring being "closer to the pivot point which makes the spring 'feel' lighter than it is" they are recommending a square set up over a staggered one. I have never seen anyone run a square set up when it comes to spring rates so I am just curious as to what other people's inputs are for this situation. Should I go with the square set up they recommend or still run 14k/12k?
Old 06-19-18, 12:33 AM
jameshan
Pole Position

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

I'm on 12/10 and it's stiff enough for me.
Old 06-19-18, 12:37 AM
airjordan1
Rookie

I just wanted to go a little stiffer than that for the wheel setup I want to go with in the future.
Old 06-19-18, 12:39 AM
jameshan
Pole Position

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

I see. Well I literally never heard of anyone going square rates. oO
Old 06-19-18, 12:45 AM
airjordan1
Rookie

Right? Which is why I thought the rep's recommendation was a bit weird but I don't know too much about coilovers and spring rate selection that's why I wanted to see what other people think. Based on his explanation, the main reasoning seems to be because of the divorced spring and shock set.
Old 06-19-18, 03:09 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 588 Likes on 397 Posts

The stock setup has stiffer springs in the rear than in the front (approx 4.2/6.4 F/R).

Definitely don't go with a stiffer front setup than rear, if that's what you had selected I would recommend against it. At minimum go the same front and rear, but I would probably suggest going with stiffer rear than front. Probably in the 30-50% stiffer range for the rear.

Jeff
Old 06-19-18, 07:03 AM
airjordan1
Rookie

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
The stock setup has stiffer springs in the rear than in the front (approx 4.2/6.4 F/R).

Definitely don't go with a stiffer front setup than rear, if that's what you had selected I would recommend against it. At minimum go the same front and rear, but I would probably suggest going with stiffer rear than front. Probably in the 30-50% stiffer range for the rear.

Jeff
Interesting. If that's the case I wonder why so many aftermarket companies sell their coilovers with the front usually stiffer than the rear.
BC Racing: 12k/10k
RSR: 10k/ 8.3k
Parts by Max: 20k/16k
KW X Greddy: 11k/8k
I wasn't aware that the stock suspension is stiffer in the rear than the front. The only coilovers that I found with stiffer rears than the front is from Tein which most of their coilovers is 9k/ 11k
Is there a big difference running 14k front and rear as opposed to 14k/ 12k?
Old 06-19-18, 08:39 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 588 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by airjordan1
Interesting. If that's the case I wonder why so many aftermarket companies sell their coilovers with the front usually stiffer than the rear.
BC Racing: 12k/10k
RSR: 10k/ 8.3k
Parts by Max: 20k/16k
KW X Greddy: 11k/8k
I wasn't aware that the stock suspension is stiffer in the rear than the front. The only coilovers that I found with stiffer rears than the front is from Tein which most of their coilovers is 9k/ 11k
Is there a big difference running 14k front and rear as opposed to 14k/ 12k?
Interesting, I'm seeing differences in some of their offerings.

RSR Lowering Springs are 4.6k/8.67k or 5.1k/8.16k, but their coilovers are 10k/8.3k or 18k/10k

Seems odd to me, but I don't know. I've never gone so far as to swap which springs are stiffer front to rear, but apparently companies are doing it with the 3IS, so perhaps there is a benefit to making the front way stiffer than the rear?

Jeff
Old 06-19-18, 08:50 AM
airjordan1
Rookie

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
Interesting, I'm seeing differences in some of their offerings.

RSR Lowering Springs are 4.6k/8.67k or 5.1k/8.16k, but their coilovers are 10k/8.3k or 18k/10k

Seems odd to me, but I don't know. I've never gone so far as to swap which springs are stiffer front to rear, but apparently companies are doing it with the 3IS, so perhaps there is a benefit to making the front way stiffer than the rear?

Jeff
Seems like it works for everyone so far. Guess I'll still try a square set up and see how it goes. Maybe RSR made their lowering sorings to be similar to the OEM 3IS specs since you did say the rear is stiffer than the front? Idk
Old 06-20-18, 09:50 AM
L0ngJ0hn
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have 14/12. I don't see a big issue with 14 in the back.
Keep in mind stiffer rear = more oversteer
Old 06-20-18, 10:31 AM
airjordan1
Rookie

Originally Posted by L0ngJ0hn
I have 14/12. I don't see a big issue with 14 in the back.
Keep in mind stiffer rear = more oversteer
I don't mind a little more oversteer. Shouldnt be a crazy amount of increased oversteer right?
Old 06-21-18, 02:10 PM
TOPENDMS
Former Sponsor

Received 117 Likes on 108 Posts

Check what rates performance brand springs use as your starting point. For instance, I see all Tanabe springs have a higher rear spring rate. Unless you have Research and Development experience and/or racing feedback .. I would stick with the top brand recommended rates depending on the drop.
Old 06-21-18, 04:32 PM
CLUM
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

Suspension tuning is a well known black magic...there's so much to think about. Eerything affects everything and there's usually a lot of math involved. Check out this very informative link if you want the long answer: http://speed.academy/how-to-choose-s...h-koni-marcor/

Short/lazy answer is 2K difference isn't much and won't be very noticeable on the street. Either 14/14 or 14/12 will be fine, nether setup will help you get to work faster nor make you crash on the highway ramp. Springs are cheap. If you don't like your choice, you can always change it later.

On the topic of different manufacturers offering different rates and front/rear bias: The easiest explanation for a softer rear rate is less oversteer. Oversteer can be dangerous, so manufacturers like to play it safe. Also, wheel/tire choice makes a difference--R comp or street tire--staggered or square wheels/tires, vehicle weight, etc etc. Going from divorced spring and shock to true coilover also affects spring rate choice. As I said above, everything affects everything lol
Old 06-21-18, 09:55 PM
airjordan1
Rookie

Originally Posted by CLUM
Suspension tuning is a well known black magic...there's so much to think about. Eerything affects everything and there's usually a lot of math involved. Check out this very informative link if you want the long answer: http://speed.academy/how-to-choose-s...h-koni-marcor/

Short/lazy answer is 2K difference isn't much and won't be very noticeable on the street. Either 14/14 or 14/12 will be fine, nether setup will help you get to work faster nor make you crash on the highway ramp. Springs are cheap. If you don't like your choice, you can always change it later.

On the topic of different manufacturers offering different rates and front/rear bias: The easiest explanation for a softer rear rate is less oversteer. Oversteer can be dangerous, so manufacturers like to play it safe. Also, wheel/tire choice makes a difference--R comp or street tire--staggered or square wheels/tires, vehicle weight, etc etc. Going from divorced spring and shock to true coilover also affects spring rate choice. As I said above, everything affects everything lol
Yah haha the more research I did the more confused I got with the overwhelming amount of info regarding suspension but its all interesting to read up on. I figured it won't make a huge difference but again I was just curious as to what other members had to say. The rep from FIGS gave me their recommendation after asking basically questions about my current set up and what I eventually want to build in the future. So I guess taking all of that info into consideration they just told met to go 14k all around. Thanks for the link.
Old 07-19-18, 01:57 AM
airjordan1
Rookie

Hey guys I got my coulovers earlier this week. Just curious but what are your settings for dampening? I just want to have like an idea of a good setup. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Coilover Spring Rate Help