GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

LED Headlights pattern is horrible

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-18, 02:01 PM
DiabloX22
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Default LED Headlights pattern is horrible

I installed a set of decent LED Headlights, was happy with everything except for the pattern. It seemed to be everywhere. I went to adjust them and when I pulled up close to a wall even then it didnt seem to have a uniform pattern. When you have low beam LED's that 1st time you use your brights, at least for me I was ordering the high beams the next day. But I still wasn't happy with the pattern, to me it seemed not uniform and not a pattern at all. I was doing some research and just found this, so I wanted to share. I will be fabricating these for both low beam and high beam. Maybe hitting them with with white or silver spray paint.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/problem-solved-the-led-headlights-glare-guard-mod.395222/
Old 01-16-18, 08:26 PM
Tdoll
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

That mod looks like its for standard type open reflector headlight assemblies, not projection beam assemblies. My cutoff is perfect on my low beams. WHen I compared my OEM halogen to my LEDs, the beam cutoff was identical, but the light was SO much better. Maybe the set of “decent” led bulbs you got are defective.?
Good find on the Mod though, i’ve got an older vehicle that I have wanted to put LEDs in, but never have because I know the beam pattern will be terrible and blind on coming traffic. Now I can look into doing that mod on a set of LEDs and make it happen! Thanks!
Old 01-17-18, 08:18 AM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

A nice set of HID's from Xenondepot is what you want---the HID's are FAR better than LED's, the light pattern sucks in the projector housings (I have tried several, crap lighting) the HID's will give you the nice pattern you are looking for and provide a nice cutoff line as well, I have been running HID's in my Lows and Fogs and its a super combo of light onto the road, and they have been super reliable for years!
The following users liked this post:
XenonDepot (01-17-18)
Old 01-19-18, 05:00 PM
DiabloX22
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Tdoll
That mod looks like its for standard type open reflector headlight assemblies, not projection beam assemblies. My cutoff is perfect on my low beams. WHen I compared my OEM halogen to my LEDs, the beam cutoff was identical, but the light was SO much better. Maybe the set of “decent” led bulbs you got are defective.?
Good find on the Mod though, i’ve got an older vehicle that I have wanted to put LEDs in, but never have because I know the beam pattern will be terrible and blind on coming traffic. Now I can look into doing that mod on a set of LEDs and make it happen! Thanks!
I'm not really up to date with all this lightning technology and just thought I would share. So you are saying that this would not be beneficial to our vehicles? Maybe I need a headlight adjustment, but when I pulled real close to a wall I did not really see a pattern.
Old 01-19-18, 05:27 PM
Tdoll
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by DiabloX22
I'm not really up to date with all this lightning technology and just thought I would share. So you are saying that this would not be beneficial to our vehicles? Maybe I need a headlight adjustment, but when I pulled real close to a wall I did not really see a pattern.
Ideally what I want when I adjust my headlight is that I have a nice cutoff at the top of the light and I want full lighting from edge to edge. The right side just a tad bit higher, but mostly a straight cutoff from Left to Right. If you google how to properly adjust headlights, there is a ton of useful info out there. Regardless of what type of bulb you have, properly adjusted headlights make a world of difference. Typically from the factory, lights are good to go. The benefits of HID and or LEDs far outweigh Halogen bulbs. Going with a quality Bulb is Key. Having a vendor with good standing as we do on this forum, I would suggest shopping there. Customer support from vendors is usually top notch. I've seen them interact regularly with great info.
Old 01-19-18, 07:18 PM
tz693
Intermediate

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

I upgraded my Halogen to HID a couple years ago and HID to LED recently. The LED has the same cutoff, but less a bright spot as the HID and Halogen.

Picture 1, Halogen Left, HID Right
LED Headlights pattern is horrible-hid.jpg

Picture 2, HID Left, LED Right
LED Headlights pattern is horrible-led3.jpg
Old 01-20-18, 07:16 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by tz693
I upgraded my Halogen to HID a couple years ago and HID to LED recently. The LED has the same cutoff, but less a bright spot as the HID and Halogen.

Picture 1, Halogen Left, HID Right
Attachment 473061

Picture 2, HID Left, LED Right
Attachment 473062
The bright spot is what gets you your distance down the road, I don't think LED is going to cast as far as HID in these housings.
Old 01-20-18, 07:30 AM
JamesF
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by IanB2
The bright spot is what gets you your distance down the road, I don't think LED is going to cast as far as HID in these housings.
That makes sense. The cutoff in my BPS G8 looks nice but the down the road light is definitely lacking.
Old 01-21-18, 04:45 PM
DiabloX22
Pole Position

Thanks for the input from everyone. I will look into the adjustments first, I think I know whats up
Old 01-21-18, 05:49 PM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Booyah
A nice set of HID's from Xenondepot is what you want...
As a long-time and satisfied Xenondepot customer, I completely concur. They’re a top notch outfit with a top quality product. Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
XenonDepot (01-23-18)