RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Start up Issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-17, 06:50 AM
robinsonta
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Start up Issues

I just bought a 2015 RC F and absolutely love it. Every time I drive it I get a big smile on face. This morning I pushed the button to start it up and the engine started right up but then died. But then I pressed the button again and it started right up and did not have any issues at all getting to work. This is the second time that this has happened in the last two months of ownership. I am hoping that this does not become a bigger issue as this is my first Lexus and have heard wonderful things about the car. I traded in a Jaguar F Type with lots of issues and bought a Lexus in hopes of having a fun reliable car. If anyone has any recommendations or knows what this might be I would love to hear your stories. Thank you.
Old 08-01-17, 08:03 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

I would get it checked out at a Lexus dealer, if it is still under warranty. Try to video tape it. I know it is a pain. But if they can't reproduce it, it is kind of difficult to say it did happen. It will require you to video tape it EVERY TIME YOU START IT UNTIL YOU GET IT ON VIDEO.

Also get the TSB ECU reflash PLUS ask them to check out the fuel pump as there is a TSB on it too.
​​​​​​​

Originally Posted by robinsonta
I just bought a 2015 RC F and absolutely love it. Every time I drive it I get a big smile on face. This morning I pushed the button to start it up and the engine started right up but then died. But then I pressed the button again and it started right up and did not have any issues at all getting to work. This is the second time that this has happened in the last two months of ownership. I am hoping that this does not become a bigger issue as this is my first Lexus and have heard wonderful things about the car. I traded in a Jaguar F Type with lots of issues and bought a Lexus in hopes of having a fun reliable car. If anyone has any recommendations or knows what this might be I would love to hear your stories. Thank you.
Old 08-01-17, 11:25 AM
robinsonta
Driver School Candidate

Smile Thank you

I appreciate you responding. I called the Lexus dealership and I have an appointment set up for tomorrow. They said that sometimes they can still run code readings if I get it in there right away. They will also review the Service Bulletins. I hope that it is not a big deal and that I can still love my Lexus. I have heard wonderful things about the product and was very excited to get such an AMAZING car. I will post the results after Service is done. The car only has 9800 miles on it so hope it is nothing major.
Old 08-01-17, 01:05 PM
drgrant
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 99 Posts

I appreciate you responding. I called the Lexus dealership and I have an appointment set up for tomorrow. They said that sometimes they can still run code readings if I get it in there right away. They will also review the Service Bulletins. I hope that it is not a big deal and that I can still love my Lexus. I have heard wonderful things about the product and was very excited to get such an AMAZING car. I will post the results after Service is done. The car only has 9800 miles on it so hope it is nothing major.
Tell them you want the fix applied if it applies to your vehicle and it hasn't already been done. Sometimes you have to be firm. There are a bunch of oddities tied to the fuel pump/ECU reflash.

-Mike

Last edited by drgrant; 08-01-17 at 01:09 PM.
Old 08-01-17, 03:01 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

That's RIGHT!!! ASK THEM FIRMLY TO APPLY ALL TSB AND/OR RECALLS.

If they say NO, PLEASE KINDLY REMIND THEM ONE OF THE TOP REASONS THAT YOU GOT A LEXUS IS ITS LEGENDARY IMPECCABLE SERVICE YOU ALWAYS HEARD ABOUT AND NOW YOU WANT TO EXPERIENCE IT!!

​​​​​​​I have confidence that Lexus will treat you right.

Originally Posted by drgrant
Tell them you want the fix applied if it applies to your vehicle and it hasn't already been done. Sometimes you have to be firm. There are a bunch of oddities tied to the fuel pump/ECU reflash.

-Mike
The following 2 users liked this post by lexusrus:
drgrant (08-01-17), Suburbazin (08-02-17)
Old 08-21-17, 06:16 PM
Riva
Driver School Candidate

Just curious if you found out what was the cause for this issue. I had the same problem and the dealer told me today that it was the fuel pressure regulator. I will have to wait until the part comes in, which they say should only be a couple of days.
Old 08-22-17, 10:20 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,831 Likes on 1,293 Posts

OP, did you by any chance disconnect the battery? If you did, that's normal first startup.

Lou
Old 08-25-17, 02:22 PM
Riva
Driver School Candidate

Just an update - got my car back today and the tech replaced the sticking fuel pressure regulator. No issues with starting up now.
Old 08-26-17, 05:32 PM
Bilious72
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Riva
Just an update - got my car back today and the tech replaced the sticking fuel pressure regulator. No issues with starting up now.
That's very interesting. I have the exact same issue on a 2015 RC F with 13k miles. It started about a month ago. It happens almost every time I get gas. It will start, then immediately die at least once. I wait a few seconds and it starts fine. I took it in a couple weeks ago, and they could not replicate the behavior and said their were no stored codes. I'm going to make another appointment and ask them to check the fuel pressure regulator. Thank you
Old 08-27-17, 07:19 AM
Riva
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bilious72
That's very interesting. I have the exact same issue on a 2015 RC F with 13k miles. It started about a month ago. It happens almost every time I get gas. It will start, then immediately die at least once. I wait a few seconds and it starts fine. I took it in a couple weeks ago, and they could not replicate the behavior and said their were no stored codes. I'm going to make another appointment and ask them to check the fuel pressure regulator. Thank you
You're welcome and keep us updated!