RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Replacing Tires - Just the rears

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-17, 08:55 AM
Curtis2000
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Replacing Tires - Just the rears

Has anyone experienced replacing just the rear tires and not the fronts? I still have 6/32 on the front, OEM tires. I opted for Continental DWS 06 based on Discount Tire's local recommendation. Got them on today and seems like the car drifts some, not sure how to describe what I'm feeling. Maybe there is so much traction on the backs and not the fronts it affects the handling so much that you notice?
Old 08-23-17, 09:04 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

I have not done this on my RCF, but on 2 previous vehicles with a staggered size setup I did, and I experienced similar things especially in cornering. you might also notice some braking issues as the result of having different tread patterns from the different tire manufacturers, as the tires will have different stopping characteristics.
Old 08-23-17, 09:07 AM
Curtis2000
Driver School Candidate

Is it bad for the car, like it would be for AWD? Just sucks not getting more out of the fronts, rears will also wear out faster...
Old 08-23-17, 09:30 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,829 Likes on 1,291 Posts

You put an All Season tire on the back with a Max Performance, different branded tire on the front. Not a good combination. Handling will be unpredictable. You don't drive a Honda you drive a Hi-Po car. Tires are an important part of that equation. All four should be the same brand and model. I've used discount tire for years and VERY surprised they did this.

Lou
Old 08-23-17, 09:50 AM
Curtis2000
Driver School Candidate

Are you saying they are surprised they sold me the Continentals?

I haven't replaced the fronts, they are still factory ones, I only have about 13K miles on my car.
Old 08-23-17, 12:38 PM
mplusg
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Curtis2000
Are you saying they are surprised they sold me the Continentals?

I haven't replaced the fronts, they are still factory ones, I only have about 13K miles on my car.
They are surprised that Discount Tire switched out the back tires without telling you that it can cause differences in handling.
Old 08-23-17, 12:42 PM
Curtis2000
Driver School Candidate

What I was thinking. Has anyone else tried these? I know they are not summer performance tires, I don't go the tracks, just fun driving around town and need something safe to drive in the winter. We don't get too much snow here in Texas, but lots of rain and some cold weather.

Need to figure it out before I buy the fronts now...
Old 08-23-17, 12:53 PM
mplusg
10th Gear

What I was thinking. Has anyone else tried these? I know they are not summer performance tires, I don't go the tracks, just fun driving around town and need something safe to drive in the winter. We don't get too much snow here in Texas, but lots of rain and some cold weather.

Need to figure it out before I buy the fronts now...
They have good reviews if you check out Tire Rack. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...t&autoModClar=

The point is that you have different types of tires on your car. You need to go back and get the all seasons in the front too if you want your driving to be back to normal. I like all seasons on my 200t, because I get lots of rain and sometimes snow and I would rather be able to drive in it if I need to. Some people prefer the summer performance tires, but that is all up to you. But they are saying that if you keep the all seasons on the rear that you should also put all seasons on the front.
Old 08-23-17, 01:25 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,829 Likes on 1,291 Posts

Personally, I will never buy any tire branded Continental again:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...xtreme-dw.html

Terrible experience and terrible customer service. Thank goodness Discount tire stepped up to the plate and made it right.

To the OP, I was rushed when I made my comments this morning. But, as I said, you need to have the same brand and model of tire front and rear. If that's Max Performance or All Seasons, your choice. But, you drive a performance vehicle, and IMHO, you will never be able to enjoy the exceptional handling designed into the vehicle with All Seasons, Again, just my opinion.

And, Discount Tire needs to be held accountable for this

An RCF is not an RC 200t!

Lou
Old 08-23-17, 03:18 PM
mplusg
10th Gear

Originally Posted by flowrider

An RCF is not an RC 200t!
Agreed. If I had an RCF I would definitely put summer tires on it. They are completely different driving experiences.
Old 08-23-17, 05:41 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Your RCF handling problems with your current setup WILL be even worse if you are in areas where ambient temperature drops to below 40 degrees F. This is bc the front OEM tires are "Summer tires" which will turn into just a chunk of useless hard rubber with little or no traction in cold temperatures. The new rear all season tires will still be good and do well. This setup will throw the RCF out of balance and all those electronic nannies on board will try to mitigate while the hair on the back of your neck will stand up and cause you even more grief and pain in situations of impending loss of control. This will be problematic in heavy rain as well.

Don't do it. It's not worth trying to save the $400 or so for a set of matching new front tires. Go get them changed ASAP!!

Has anyone experienced replacing just the rear tires and not the fronts? I still have 6/32 on the front, OEM tires. I opted for Continental DWS 06 based on Discount Tire's local recommendation. Got them on today and seems like the car drifts some, not sure how to describe what I'm feeling. Maybe there is so much traction on the backs and not the fronts it affects the handling so much that you notice?
Old 08-23-17, 08:33 PM
Curtis2000
Driver School Candidate

I already ordered them, I can't drive like the way it is, feels like it makes me swerve a little at times. Yes, it does get below 20-40 here in the winter, I don't want to have two set of tires nor do I have the storage space for them, so I'm just going to go with the all season.
Old 08-24-17, 01:03 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

yeah it sucks that the front wear at half the rate of the rears, but such is the life of a RWD High Performance car with a staggered setup..
Old 08-24-17, 10:16 PM
Suburbazin
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

The reason the rears wear out so fast isn't really because they're staggered. It's a combination of 2 things- the Torsen/TVD is brutal on rubber and the 1.5 degree camber runs on the inside of the treads. I've never before had a car where the mechanic doing the oil change tells me I've got cords on the rears showing, while the outer edge looks great.

Before you feel bad- I've gone 34,000 miles on 4 sets of rear tires.
Old 08-25-17, 12:20 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

I already ordered them, I can't drive like the way it is, feels like it makes me swerve a little at times. Yes, it does get below 20-40 here in the winter, I don't want to have two set of tires nor do I have the storage space for them, so I'm just going to go with the all season.
Since you already ordered the DWS for the rears, bite the bullet and order the DWS for the fronts too. Use up your current set (Michelin PSS?) a little longer if you can safely and swap all four out later in the Fall with the new DWS.

Quick Reply: Replacing Tires - Just the rears