LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

First LS460L Just Purchased Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-17, 04:55 PM
Jcslater
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First LS460L Just Purchased Questions

First off I'd just like to introduce myself as this is my first post on the board. I am a fist time LS owner. Have owned ES's in the past. Really looking forward to being a contributor to this fourm in the future.
So I just sealed the deal on my first LS yesterday and picked up a one owner 2007 460L in black sapphire pearl and the car has 107,000 miles on it. I have been looking for a decent deal on one locally here in Minneapolis and finally found one. I should be taking delivery of it within the next few days as the dealer is installing 4 new tires and bring through their inspection and "reconditioning" process.
The car has had all of the suggested services proformed at the correct times throughout the life of the car at one of the local Lexus dealerships.
Here are the few initial details that I want to take care of. It does have the 3M film on the front end but it is discolored to the point where you can clearly see the line where it starts and ends I will more then likely remove that and possiblly have it replaced but don't want to pay dealer prices. Suggestions?
The alcantara on the inside door post is frayed. It's about a 4-5" rip essentially from the guy who owned it sliding into the front seat. The salesman said he was "a big guy" so he would prop his back against the door post and basically roll in which caused the rip. Suggestions?
Last but not least the main thing that has been on my mind is the brake actuator issue that is relatively common with the LS. It didn't mention anywhere in the service history that it had anything addressed with the brakes. Im just wondering what other owners experience is. Is this a sure thing that is bound to need to be addressed?

Thanks for the help!
Old 07-24-17, 06:37 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 322 Likes on 280 Posts

I don't think the break actuator is all that common but if it does happen, you're looking at a about $2500 to repair. The B pillar wear is a very common issue. You can get a replacement from ebay for a couple of hundred. Are you sure the interior is alcantara, as that will be more difficult to find.
Old 07-24-17, 07:56 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 509 Likes on 386 Posts

Here are the few initial details that I want to take care of. It does have the 3M film on the front end but it is discolored to the point where you can clearly see the line where it starts and ends I will more then likely remove that and possiblly have it replaced but don't want to pay dealer prices. Suggestions?
I removed mine for the reason you state. Don't miss it. However, you could get a new film put on, which is apparently night and day better than previous products.

As for the actuator, I agree with Keith...not as common as some members make it out to be. I have over 125k miles on my LS and it hasn't had the actuator issue.

Congrats on the new LS and welcome to an excellent forum here at CL. Lots of very helpful, friendly and knowledgeable folks..
Old 07-24-17, 04:22 PM
Nospinzone
Forum Moderator

Received 428 Likes on 330 Posts

Welcome to CL and congrats and I wish you good luck with your new car.

Talk to some people locally and get a recommendation for an independent shop to put on the clear bra. Best place to go is a local cars and coffee on a Sat. or Sun. morning. Find some people with a good looking clear bra and ask them where they had it done. Actually, the ones with a really good looking one are hard to see!

Unless the rip on the door post really bothers you, I would just leave it. No one else ever sees it.

I don't know who told you that brake actuator failure was a "common" issue, but he/she didn't know what they were talking about. Could it fail? Sure. Is it likely to fail? No.
Old 07-24-17, 05:48 PM
Cubbylex
Intermediate

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Congrats on your new LS. I have the same issue on the door pillar but not ripped, just frayed. Haven't looked into replacement.

I'm sure if you look at any car, there will be some things that appear to be a big problem, but in reality, not so much because we only hear about "problems". Obviously, if you feel or hear something odd, have it checked out.

I hope you have many years and many happy miles in your LS.

Cubby
Old 07-25-17, 10:22 AM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Received 479 Likes on 353 Posts

Welcome

You are going to love the ride of the LS460L. Your biggest problem will not be the brake actuator. It will be getting that **** eating grin off your face when you are on a long drive in the 460L. Enjoy

Dennis
Old 07-25-17, 07:41 PM
Jcslater
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the help and replies everyone. Really happy to be at CL. Thanks for the welcome!
I took delivery of the 460L yesterday and yes, big smile moving down the road. The dealer mounted 4 new Continentals and 2 new front rotors as well.

​​​​​​Im glad to hear that the brake actuator isn't as big of an issue as I imagined. Cross my fingers that things stay that way.

The door pillar rip is not as noticeable as I thought and I think I'll just secure the loose fabric and call it good. I'll do some checking around on the clear bra.

​​​​​​I am getting a message to change the air conditioning filter when turning the car on. I'm guessing this is the cabin air filter correct? Front and rear?

​​​​​​Still trying to mess around with the Park Assist feature and get used to that.
​​​​​
​​​​
Old 07-26-17, 05:52 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Unless your car has the executive rear seating, there's no rear AC. When you change the front cabin filter, be sure to put the system into recirculate mode or you'll break the door.
Old 07-26-17, 10:36 AM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

My car does not have executive seating, and it does have the rear filter. I was thinking it was related to having rear air. I do have the upgraded rear seats (vibration), whatever that option is officially called.

Jcslater - Welcome. Love to hear about your car going forward and your enjoyment. If you're like me, I thought the car was too quiet. It drove me nuts, I wanted to hear it. If interested in what I did about it, check out the links in my signature. Either way, enjoy the ride!

Jason Oliver
Old 07-26-17, 11:08 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 355 Likes on 245 Posts

I thought the brake actuator was covered under an extended warranty until the end of this December? With unlimited mileage for the 07's, no?
Old 07-26-17, 12:43 PM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Oliver

I also have the rear seat upgrade (not the Executive Package) and have the rear AC.

Dennis
Old 07-26-17, 01:26 PM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by DJWLDW
Oliver

I also have the rear seat upgrade (not the Executive Package) and have the rear AC.

Dennis
Dennis - I looked it up, it is called the "Comfort Plus Package." Includes the following:

Includes Comfort Package features
Power rear seats with lumbar massage and power butterfly headrests
Rear seat-mounted side airbags
•Semi-aniline leather

The Comfort Package includes:
Front climate control seats (heated and cooled)
Headlamp washers
Heated rear seats
Heated steering wheel (RWD only)
Intuitive Park Assist
One-touch open/close power trunk with power door closer
Rear power sunshade
Old 07-26-17, 03:43 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

OK, "Comfort Plus" package, not "Executive Rear Seating" package!

Old 07-26-17, 05:11 PM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Oliver

Yes that is correct. I have that package listed in my sig. It also has heated and cooled rear seats.

Dennis