Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mercedes-Benz X-Class pickup

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-17, 04:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
The examples you cite, the Blackwood and the Escalade ESV, are no longer being made, both were flops, especially the Blackwood. I'd also point out that the luxury SUV market is very different than the expensive pickup market, totally different types of buyers.
The Blackwood was a flop for good reason. Who in their right mind would design a truck with rare and expensive African wood in the TRUCK BED, of all places?...something that gets all kinds of s*** dumped into it? That design, IMO, gets the Blockhead of the Year award.

Old 07-22-17, 05:06 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The Blackwood was a flop for good reason. Who in their right mind would design a truck with rare and expensive African wood in the TRUCK BED, of all places?...something that gets all kinds of s*** dumped into it? That design, IMO, gets the Blockhead of the Year award.

Really?? LOL I’ve never looked in the back of one.
Old 07-22-17, 10:00 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Some people buy these niche vehicles so they can say "me too", with no intention of ever using their 'truck' as a truck. As silly as it is, it is unique. Problem with the Blackwood, Mark LT, and Escalade EXT are that they are just gussied up F-150's and Silverado's (or in the latter's case Suburban/Avalanche). If they or Benz made a bespoke truck to the Lincoln, Cadillac, or Benz brand it would be far more special. They would however be very expensive, and doesn't make much business sense, at least Stateside. As to the X-Class, it'll probably be embraced internationally despite the reskin.
Old 07-22-17, 10:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by yardie876
Really?? LOL I €™ve never looked in the back of one.
Yes, one can use a protective bed-liner, but then, what's the use of buying something like that in the first place......rare tropical wood in a truck bed? I still think it was a silly design......that's probably why they only built a thousand of them. I've only seen one on the road myself......in the parking lot at my usual grocery-store.
Old 07-22-17, 11:07 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

Yes, one can use a protective bed-liner, but then, what's the use of buying something like that in the first place......rare tropical wood in a truck bed? I still think it was a silly design......that's probably why they only built a thousand of them. I've only seen one on the road myself......in the parking lot at my usual grocery-store.
The wood is there to provide for pretty contrast after loading up your groceries from Whole Foods.
Old 07-22-17, 11:37 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by davyjordi
The wood is there to provide for pretty contrast after loading up your groceries from Whole Foods.
LOL. Even people who shop at Whole Foods aren't that picky.
Old 07-22-17, 01:30 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by davyjordi
Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Some people buy these niche vehicles so they can say "me too", with no intention of ever using their 'truck' as a truck. As silly as it is, it is unique. Problem with the Blackwood, Mark LT, and Escalade EXT are that they are just gussied up F-150's and Silverado's (or in the latter's case Suburban/Avalanche). If they or Benz made a bespoke truck to the Lincoln, Cadillac, or Benz brand it would be far more special. They would however be very expensive, and doesn't make much business sense, at least Stateside. As to the X-Class, it'll probably be embraced internationally despite the reskin.
The whole idea was to provide a luxury vehicle with a large trunk. The Lincoln marketers at the time did not market it was a pick up, it was supposed to be a luxury utility vehicle. Case in point, the bed has a cover that was power operated, and that bed or "trunk" really was a sealed tight. So no elements could get in. Also, the cover was carpeted. The marketing by Lincoln also pointed out that the trunk was "27 percent larger than the cavernous trunk of a Lincoln Town Car" There was also storage bins in the walls of the bed and inside the tail gate. Finally, the truck was RWD only and the ride was very very cushy. And lastly. the wood in the bed was fake.

Overall, a cool idea.

The wood was fake. And the wood was not on the inside of the bed. The bed was stainless steel with carpeting.

Some people buy these niche vehicles so they can say "me too", with no intention of ever using their 'truck' as a truck. As silly as it is, it is unique.
And if you are into cars and classic car show stuff. A prestine Blackwood would be the perfect vehicle for that.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 07-22-17 at 01:44 PM.
Old 07-22-17, 01:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The wood was fake. And the wood was not on the inside of the bed. The bed was stainless steel with carpeting.
The one I saw on display at the D.C. Auto Show that year did have a wooden bed. And the wood was not fake.....I asked a Lincoln rep about that.

Perhaps they made some changes from the prototype for the start of production...if so, of course, that would not be unusual.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-22-17 at 02:05 PM.
Old 07-22-17, 02:03 PM
Hoovey689

If memory serves me, the aluminum silver lines were supposed to mimic a pinstripe suit. After the Blackwood, when the Mark LT came around some versions had a simple carpet lined bed, a sprayed on plastic bedliner, or nothing at all just the steel box. Guess they figured they should give it a little more utility than the Blackwood. The Blackwood used the 4-valve 5.4L Triton V8 vs the Mark LT using 3-valve.

Because the X-Class is smaller and with the backing of the tri-star badge, Benz should be slightly more successful than the Lincoln ones were respectively. Benz is pretty popular with their Sprinter vans.
Old 07-22-17, 02:10 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Because the X-Class is smaller and with the backing of the tri-star badge, Benz should be slightly more successful than the Lincoln ones were respectively. Benz is pretty popular with their Sprinter vans.
Depends, GM and Ford are too well know for trucks. Lincoln would win vs Mercedes in a truck fight. The new F-150 in Lincoln garb would be outstanding.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 07-22-17 at 02:15 PM.
Old 07-22-17, 02:54 PM
Hoovey689

Depends, GM and Ford are too well know for trucks. Lincoln would win vs Mercedes in a truck fight. The new F-150 in Lincoln garb would be outstanding.
I don't doubt that for a second especially if a new Lincoln (Mark Blackwood LT) truck was based on the new F-150. But this Mercedes X-Class is for international consumers only, and it is cheaper so it will be overall more successful vs the short stinted Lincoln ones. Funny enough the Mark LT was sold in Mexico until 2014.
Old 07-22-17, 03:00 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Given the new, and maybe a little shaky, direction of the Lincoln division, I wonder how viable a new Lincoln pickup would be.
Old 07-22-17, 03:03 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I don't doubt that for a second especially if a new Lincoln (Mark Blackwood LT) truck was based on the new F-150. But this Mercedes X-Class is for international consumers only, and it is cheaper so it will be overall more successful vs the short stinted Lincoln ones. Funny enough the Mark LT was sold in Mexico until 2014.
I really don't agree. The prices of some of the American trucks are getting really high. I think a Sierra Denali with a diesel can be had for $80K now. There is a bit market of people who are willing to spend big on American cars and trucks. Trucks is where the Americans dominate. If MB were to make a truck, it would need to be a full size model for the North American market.

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Given the new, and maybe a little shaky, direction of the Lincoln division, I wonder how viable a new Lincoln pickup would be.
I believe Lincoln is doing well. If Lincoln did a truck, I could see Buick doing it as well.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 07-22-17 at 04:02 PM.
Old 07-22-17, 03:56 PM
Hoovey689

3,356 MY2002 Blackwoods
36,187 MY2005-2008 Mark LT's
Totaling Lincoln trucks 39,543
Pretty sure the X-Class will outsell them when all said and done.
Hence it will be more successful.

Agreed if Benz made a truck for N.A. it would be a fullsize one.

If you need a Benz truck they have one for you

There's also a pickup version in Australia based on the G-Wagen SUV, known as the "G Professional," a pickup. It's offered with a single cab, which is just the standard G-Wagen front end, and then a pickup situation in back.

Old 07-22-17, 04:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I really don't agree. The prices of some of the American trucks are getting really high. I think a Sierra Denali with a diesel can be had for $80K now. There is a bit market of people who are willing to spend big on American cars and trucks. Trucks is where the Americans dominate. If MB were to make a truck, it would need to be a full size model for the North American market.

I believe Lincoln is doing well. If Lincoln did a truck, I could see Buick doing it as well.
No. Neither the Lincoln Blackwood or LT sold in any significant numbers (and the Blackwood was a dumb design to start with). Cadillac's Escalade EXT pickup (an upmarket spinoff of the Chevy Avalanche) didn't do much better, either. IMO there's no credible reason to believe that Buick would succeed in the pickup market. Besides, Buick's sister GMC division already has the market for premium trucks covered at GM.