Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 f-150 updates

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-17, 03:56 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts
Default 2018 f-150 updates

new front is a nice improvement.

Ford took a big gamble three years ago when it introduced its all-aluminum F-150 and it paid off…bigly.

The automaker’s engineers, dealers and loyal customer base all came through, and sales have been going up ever since production of the next-gen pickup ramped up to full steam.

Nevertheless, the full-size pickup segment remains highly competitive and Ford isn’t ready to rest on its lightweight laurels, so it updated the F-150 for 2018.

It’s far from a new vehicle, but is a significant refresh that I had the opportunity to check out in lovely Dexter, Mich., before it goes on sale nationwide. Here’s the most important stuff you need to know:

Sometimes cosmetic surgery is good

The most obvious change is the F-150’s new grille and headlamps, which ape the look of the latest F-Series Super Duty’s. There are actually several different grills across the lineup, with all but one featuring twin horizontal bars that appear to be held in place by the ‘C-clamp’ style lights. An all-mesh version appears on a sporty STX trim package that’s available on the entry-level F-150 XL. I think the new grille looks better than the oversized, radiator-style one that debuted in 2015, and clearly so do a lot of people at Ford or they wouldn’t have changed it. (The high performance F-150 Raptor retains its 2017 design.)

Related Image

Expand / Collapse (Ford)
It has stronger bones

The F-150 equipped with its 375 hp 3.5-liter twin-turbocharged V6 and max trailering package can now tow 13,200 pounds. That’s a 1,000 pound increase over 2017 and 700 pounds more than the top Chevrolet Silverado 1500 can manage. It’ll even beat a bunch of F-Series Super Duty configurations. The extra strength can be chalked up largely to a thicker-gauge steel frame that comes with the package, but there are also suspension modifications and a reengineered steering system to help you handle the extra weight on the move.

Related Image

Expand / Collapse (Ford)
More from less

The F-150 has a selection of four new or updated engines, and they’re all more potent and fuel efficient than the ones they replace. The 3.5-liter turbo V6 received its power boost last year and was paired to a 10-speed automatic transmission that now trickles down to the 5.0-liter V8 and 2.7-liter turbocharged V6, each getting 1-2 mpg better fuel economy out of the deal.

slideshow

Ford pickup turns 100

The 5.0-liter remains the F-150 and segment payload champ at a maximum of 3,270 pounds, but will have an easier time carrying the load with 10 more horsepower and 13 additional pound-feet of torque for a total of 395 hp and 400 lb-ft. A new fuel injection system and spray-in bore liner tech borrowed from the Mustang Shelby GT350’s engine contribute to the added oomph.

Entry-level buyers aren’t forgotten, either. They get an all-new 290 hp 3.3-liter V6 that is more powerful than the old 3.5 liter, and ties the 2.7-liter for class efficiency honors among gasoline-powered full-size pickups at 22 mpg combined, even though it is the only engine that still comes with a 6-speed transmission. (The first diesel F-150 is set for a Spring release and should be the mileage king.)

Related Image

Expand / Collapse (Ford)
It can’t drive itself, but…

There’s a 360-degree camera system that’s handy when parking, or squeezing through trees; a blind spot monitoring system that can be programmed to take the length of your trailer into account; Pro Trailer Backup Assist, which uses cameras and sensors to help you drive in reverse with a trailer attached by taking over all of the steering while you use a **** on the dashboard to simply point the truck where you want it to go; adaptive cruise control that will bring the truck to a stop in traffic then go again if you’re not stationary for more than three seconds, even with a trailer attached; and a pedestrian detecting automatic emergency braking system. The only other full-size pickup offering that last one for 2018 is the Toyota Tundra.

Related Image

Expand / Collapse (Ford)
No surprises: It’s better

Ford’s engineers say the aluminum body has performed as expected, so there were no major structural alterations for 2018. They did make a pretty significant change to the suspension, however, by switching from twin-tube to monotube dampers, which deliver a better ride. On the road, and a short off-road course Ford set up for the launch, the new trucks felt to me like they were more polished, even before I knew about the new shocks. That was true whether they had empty beds, were carrying a half-ton payload or towing trailers that weighed several tons.

Aside from a couple of new trim colors, the interior of the F-150 remains the same, but you can now fill it with crystal clear sound from new 10-speaker B&O Play audio system, at least on high end models.

The most expensive of those can run well over $60,000, but the starting price for a good old fashioned stripped F-150 work truck is $28,675, which is less than three hundred bucks more than last year.

----------

Power:

3.3L V6: 290 hp, 265 lb-ft

2.7L V6: 325 hp, 400 lb-ft

5.0L V8: 395 hp, 400 lb-ft

3.5L V6: 375 hp, 470 lb-ft

http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2017/08/...d-to-know.html
Old 08-14-17, 05:20 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Fresh update and a nice array of powertrain options
Old 08-14-17, 06:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I usually don't comment on one vehicle "copying" another in the styling, simply because it is so difficult, nowadays, to come with something that is truly original-looking. Even taking that into account, though, I'm not impressed with that new oversized bar across the middle the grille.....it's too much of a copy of its arch-rival Silverado. I'm also not convinced, despite the big weight reduction, that aluminum is the way to go in a work truck.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-14-17 at 06:39 PM.
Old 08-14-17, 07:18 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I saw one of these yesterday at a Ford. They look great with the new style front end. Well done. Goes to show you why Toyota has no chance with their mediocre Tundra.
Old 08-14-17, 08:13 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I'm also not convinced, despite the big weight reduction, that aluminum is the way to go in a work truck.
apparently some 70,000 people (new buyers) a month disagree.
Old 08-14-17, 08:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

Oh, no doubt. The F-150 name would sell on just about anything. I'm not always one to follow the crowd.....I tend to think for myself, though sometimes it turns out I was wrong.

And, of course, it's not just the F-150. The entire American full-sized pickup market, in general, is probably the hardest nut in the industry to crack. F-150, Silverado/Sierra, and Ram owners, as groups, are more loyal and steadfast than the sunrise each morning.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-14-17 at 08:24 PM.
Old 08-14-17, 08:49 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Kudos on Ford for going with aluminum. Its forward thinking to do it. You can only improve as more and parts transition. The F150 feels much more solid than Toyota when you shut the doors and stuff.
Old 08-14-17, 09:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Kudos on Ford for going with aluminum. Its forward thinking to do it. You can only improve as more and parts transition. The F150 feels much more solid than Toyota when you shut the doors and stuff.
Here's some comments from actual F-150 owners. They are all over the map, both pro and con, in their opinions of the aluminum bed.

https://www.fordf150.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=122080
Old 08-14-17, 09:50 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I usually don't comment on one vehicle "copying" another in the styling, simply because it is so difficult, nowadays, to come with something that is truly original-looking. Even taking that into account, though, I'm not impressed with that new oversized bar across the middle the grille.....it's too much of a copy of its arch-rival Silverado. I'm also not convinced, despite the big weight reduction, that aluminum is the way to go in a work truck.
I couldn't agree more. First thing I thought when I saw the new front is "Chevy." I never suspected Ford had an image issue. They have their own huge following and a long list of merits. So why they thought to go closer in image to GM is a curious move. Maybe the next Silverado will take Ford styling ques and we'll have one big full-size truck from the two.
Old 08-15-17, 11:04 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I sooooo like to buy a Raptor, but it won't fit in my garage!
Old 08-15-17, 11:26 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I saw one of these yesterday at a Ford. They look great with the new style front end. Well done. Goes to show you why Toyota has no chance with their mediocre Tundra.
The tundra...oh boy...I love toyota for the reliability they offer. And the 1794 edition is simply a stunning interior...but it needs to have an all-new exterior design. The one they gave it a few years ago still isn't sitting well with me. If it had, I likely would have bought one of those instead of my Ram. The Ram, too, is beginning to get a bit long in the tooth. But FCA picked a more timeless design, it doesn't really age that much so they could run it longer. It's due though, and a 5th gen Ram will be debuting in 2019. So, in 2022 or so, I will be in the market for a new pickup.

On topic, if this F150 had debuted just like this in 2015, I would have jumped ship then from Ram and went the way of my family, and gotten an F150. The 15-current just don't look good except in the highest trims, and they ride like total *** compared to a Ram, even in the highest trim levels (coil springs in the rear FTW!). Ford makes a solid truck. But look out, because Nissan has a solid contender as well in the new Titan.
Old 08-16-17, 07:12 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
On topic, if this F150 had debuted just like this in 2015, I would have jumped ship then from Ram and went the way of my family, and gotten an F150. The 15-current just don't look good except in the highest trims, and they ride like total *** compared to a Ram, even in the highest trim levels (coil springs in the rear FTW!). Ford makes a solid truck. But look out, because Nissan has a solid contender as well in the new Titan.
Among full-size trucks, it's hard to beat the ride and general driving comfort of the Ram, though I'm sure you found that out for yourself already. The new aluminum F-150, however, does ride and handle significantly better than its F-150 predecessors...which, though, as you say, were solid trucks, would certainly not win any comfort awards.
Old 08-16-17, 11:06 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

Having owned both Ford and Ram, both fully loaded, full sized 4 door cabs, short beds...Great trucks.

Ram seemed more quiet, rode better (light to no load), but had many little annoying issues. Poor re-sale value (common in my area)
Ford took the abuse well and handled a very large boat/trailer with ease. Felt more comfortable with the heavy stuff. No issues with the aluminum bed.
Old 08-16-17, 12:07 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by FastFord
Having owned both Ford and Ram, both fully loaded, full sized 4 door cabs, short beds...Great trucks.

Ram seemed more quiet, rode better (light to no load), but had many little annoying issues. Poor re-sale value (common in my area)
Ford took the abuse well and handled a very large boat/trailer with ease. Felt more comfortable with the heavy stuff. No issues with the aluminum bed.
Poor resale is subjective based (as you said) on region, options, miles, etc.

My rams have been flawless. However, if they move production to china (FCA is thinking of selling to a chinese automaker), then I will be jumping ship fast.
Old 08-16-17, 02:38 PM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
Poor resale is subjective based (as you said) on region, options, miles, etc.

My rams have been flawless. However, if they move production to china (FCA is thinking of selling to a chinese automaker), then I will be jumping ship fast.
Region based has been like this for years, at least here. For some reason Chevy's seem to fetch more, possibly due to there are so few of them. Lots of Fords and many Ram's to pick from. Don't get me wrong I didn't dislike the Ram, it was great, except for silly little things breaking and falling off. My Toyota Sienna holds the record for problems. 33 issues in 3 years.

Looking forward to test driving the new Ford when it comes out. Might have to find room in the driveway!

Quick Reply: 2018 f-150 updates