ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   Car Chat (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car-chat-139/)
-   -   Mercedes-Benz X-Class pickup (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car-chat/862677-mercedes-benz-x-class-pickup.html)

bitkahuna 07-18-17 09:18 PM

Mercedes-Benz X-Class pickup

https://a57.foxnews.com/images.foxne....jpg?ve=1&tl=1

Mercedes-Benz has finally unveiled the production version of its first proper pickup, the X-Class.

The long-gestating midsize truck the product of a joint venture with Nissan and based on the Japanese automaker’s Navara pickup. The German’s take looks very much like a Mercedes, however, from the shape of its grille to its interior design.

With a starting price of around $40,000 in Germany, it’s also a very luxed-up effort. Mercedes calls it the first pickup from a premium manufacturer, which is a little bit of a stretch considering Lincoln and Cadillac have both had offerings in the segment, not to mention the fact that you can easily spend over $70,000 on a high tech, leather-lined Ford, Chevy or Ram today.

Nevertheless, it is dressy for a midsize pickup and will be offered with a list of electronic safety features that includes emergency braking and lane-keeping assist. A range of four diesel and gasoline engines will be available, the most potent one a 258 hp gasoline V6.

Built with a traditional body-on-frame construction and a live rear axle, the X-Class uses coil springs front and rear like a Ram 1500. Its four-wheel-drive system has a low range transfer case and a locking rear differential is optional for added traction. Mercedes says its maximum payload and tow ratings are 2,200 pounds and 7,000 pounds, respectively.

Aside from its platform, one very important thing that the X-Class has in common with the Navara is that it will be sold just about everywhere but the United States. In its current form, it wasn’t engineered to meet safety standards here. It would also be subject to a 25 percent import tax, unless Mercedes started building it here, where it doesn’t think there’s a big enough market for a high-end small truck.

At least not yet.

http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2017/07/...-in-style.html

Toys4RJill 07-18-17 09:30 PM

Looks pretty solid. Doubt it will sell well in the US.

RXSF 07-18-17 09:44 PM

^^ they would never bring this over to the US

I quite like it except for the actual pickup part. Looks like they just took the Nissan bed and slapped it onto a mercedes

chromedome 07-18-17 11:36 PM

From some angles, it looks like a Mitsubishi Triton. I'm not sure this will ever be a mass market model... It could end up being a niche novelty like the G series.

Fizzboy7 07-18-17 11:41 PM

It was good until they got to the bed part. Cheap and dated Nissan design meets modern Euro front end. Clashing failure. Interior is blah, with out-of-place retro air vents taking up way too much prime control and viewing space.
But if it's got the MBZ emblem on it, is a pick-up, and cost a bundle, it will sell well in the U.S.

Aron9000 07-20-17 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7 (Post 9928906)
It was good until they got to the bed part. Cheap and dated Nissan design meets modern Euro front end. Clashing failure. Interior is blah, with out-of-place retro air vents taking up way too much prime control and viewing space.
But if it's got the MBZ emblem on it, is a pick-up, and cost a bundle, it will sell well in the U.S.

I don't think so, this would never sell in the US, especially with the under 200hp diesels and gas engines on tap. You can buy so much more truck for your buck with fullsize domestic offerings, even midgrade 1/2 ton trucks now days are 4 door crew cab, 4wd, leather heated seats, big high hp engine options big tow capacity, for under 50k.

Pickup buyers really eschew a "luxury" badge as well. I'm sure GM and Ford have really done their homework on this, otherwise they'd sell Lincoln or Cadillac branded pickups for a 10 to 30% premium. If there was a market for luxury badged trucks, we would have Lincoln and Cadillac trucks instead of Denali, Platinum, King Ranch, and High Country trucks.

chromedome 07-20-17 04:32 AM

It's too small for the American market but it could sell in Europe, Asia and Australia. The Nissan Navarra that this thing is based on competes against the Toyota Hilux, Ford Ranger etc. The problem is that those other vehicles are usually used as work pickups, not as luxury transport. I don't know why anyone would buy an X-class when its competitors are so much cheaper.

Mr Bond 07-20-17 06:33 AM

Mercedes always had transport vehicles under the Mercedes brand name in Europe. Dont know about this X class, but the other transport vehicles sell pretty well. In fact they are a lot better than many others in terms of refinement, I have have driven the MB Vito on Autobahn for hours in about 90-100 mph and you dont even need to raise you voice that much. Its like driving your daily driver in terms of comfort. Those smaller diesels are also very strong and much more refined in every aspect, especially compared to the japanese competetion. You can drive like you stole it aswell, wont break down for nothing.

Aron9000 07-20-17 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Mr Bond (Post 9930225)
Mercedes always had transport vehicles under the Mercedes brand name in Europe. Dont know about this X class, but the other transport vehicles sell pretty well. In fact they are a lot better than many others in terms of refinement, I have have driven the MB Vito on Autobahn for hours in about 90-100 mph and you dont even need to raise you voice that much. Its like driving your daily driver in terms of comfort. Those smaller diesels are also very strong and much more refined in every aspect, especially compared to the japanese competetion. You can drive like you stole it aswell, wont break down for nothing.

Hate to break it to you, but the diesel engine is a Nissan unit, not a Benz. Only thing Benz going on here is the interior, some slight exterior tweaks and the 3 pointed star in the grill. Chassis, frame, engines, suspension, all Nissan.

Hoovey689 07-20-17 07:00 PM

X-Class pretty much looks like a Nissan Navara. Nothing special here. Too bad Benz didn't have an alliance with Ford (Ranger) or Toyota (Hilux) :p

mmarshall 07-20-17 07:11 PM

I can understand the reluctance of M-B to introduce it here in the U.S.........I wouldn't place much stock in it knocking either the Toyota Tacoma or Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon off their pedestals, especially with an all-new Ford Ranger on the way late next year to add another competitor.

Propulsion 07-20-17 07:47 PM

It's hideous.
Keep it out of the United States please! :(

Fizzboy7 07-21-17 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by Aron9000 (Post 9930119)
I don't think so, this would never sell in the US, especially with the under 200hp diesels and gas engines on tap. You can buy so much more truck for your buck with fullsize domestic offerings, even midgrade 1/2 ton trucks now days are 4 door crew cab, 4wd, leather heated seats, big high hp engine options big tow capacity, for under 50k.

Pickup buyers really eschew a "luxury" badge as well. I'm sure GM and Ford have really done their homework on this, otherwise they'd sell Lincoln or Cadillac branded pickups for a 10 to 30% premium. If there was a market for luxury badged trucks, we would have Lincoln and Cadillac trucks instead of Denali, Platinum, King Ranch, and High Country trucks.

There very much was a market for luxury-branded pick-ups (Lincoln Blackwood, Caddy Escalade ESV, and the fancy GM models). Then the gas crunch hit and the economy tanked. Now, things are picking up again with brands offering more SUV's, pick-ups, and more luxury on many models. GMC does very well with the Denali brand. Chevy, Ford, and Dodge move out $55k pick-ups in the big city all the time. There is plenty of luxury in all those models. If you put a Mercedes badge on it, I am positive it would sell well. They have the name, reputation, heritage, and plenty of wealthy people that would love to tool around the hills in one.
I had no idea this new MBZ was not coming to the states. I stopped reading once I saw the cheap, out-dated bed from fifteen years ago. Benz is a big and smart enough company to create a truck bed. It's a simple box with five sides, two taillights, and a damn bumper. Shame on them for going cheap. Hyundai and Kia would have produced something more worthwhile.

Aron9000 07-21-17 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7 (Post 9931182)
There very much was a market for luxury-branded pick-ups (Lincoln Blackwood, Caddy Escalade ESV, and the fancy GM models). Then the gas crunch hit and the economy tanked. Now, things are picking up again with brands offering more SUV's, pick-ups, and more luxury on many models. GMC does very well with the Denali brand. Chevy, Ford, and Dodge move out $55k pick-ups in the big city all the time. There is plenty of luxury in all those models. If you put a Mercedes badge on it, I am positive it would sell well. They have the name, reputation, heritage, and plenty of wealthy people that would love to tool around the hills in one.
I had no idea this new MBZ was not coming to the states. I stopped reading once I saw the cheap, out-dated bed from fifteen years ago. Benz is a big and smart enough company to create a truck bed. It's a simple box with five sides, two taillights, and a damn bumper. Shame on them for going cheap. Hyundai and Kia would have produced something more worthwhile.

The examples you cite, the Blackwood and the Escalade ESV, are no longer being made, both were flops, especially the Blackwood. I'd also point out that the luxury SUV market is very different than the expensive pickup market, totally different types of buyers.

Truck buyers want all that luxury with the higher trim levels, and they sell very well. The expensive truck buyer also sees the size of their rig as part of the status, big diesel engines, lift kits, big off road tires, all that nonsense. But at the same time they don't want that Cadillac or Lincoln badge, those marks have no history of making pickup trucks. I also think there is a big old fogie association with Cadillac and Lincoln that would be a no go, along with it might be coming off as pretentious to drive a Cadillac pickup.

BrownPride 07-21-17 01:33 PM

It looks like a typical "3rd world" truck. Huge disappointment given how beautiful the concept was. I'm glad we won't have it stateside.