Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

sc300/400-Changing out the heater core-i lived...

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-17, 10:14 AM
megamax
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default sc300/400-Changing out the heater core-i lived...

so. as i was modifying my heater core hoses, the darnedest thing happened. i started leaking coolant on the passenger floor board shortly after(**** my life).

so before actually looking this up, i went to the local junk yard and attempted to pull a heater core from a 97+ sc400 (mind you i have a 94). looking up a replacement from toyota it appeared to be the same part number for all the years, so i didn't think anything of it.

-DISCLAIMER- this is NOT how you remove/replace the core in a car you want to keep, this was from a car at the scrap yard, and even this way was a ***** to get out.

there is the *****.

and after i pulled her out.

after lots, lots of cursing, here is what you are rewarded with. you CANNOT get by the fact you need to remove the ac core. so yes you need to drain the system outside in the engine bay.

these have movable nipples and o-rings as you can see that COULD become problematic down the line. i plan on replacing the rings and using sealant also.
Old 05-03-17, 10:27 AM
megamax
Lexus Champion

so, there are about 2 write-ups out there on how to remove the dashboard. they are accurate EXCEPT the need to remove the steering wheel, i simply UN-bolted it and let it drop/hang.

other than that there is a single bold under the dash column you have to really look for to get the bash-bar out. the total amount of bolts holding in the ac/heater plastic body is only 4.

you need to pull this bastard out far enough to clear the core, it slides up and out. here is a picture AFTER i modified the nipple holders, why did i have to modify them you say?

Old 05-03-17, 10:32 AM
megamax
Lexus Champion

THIS is why, the bastard is smaller than the oem.

and here is where you can see the leakage. i like the fact that there are no o-rings on the older one, but when they crack they crack.

Last edited by megamax; 05-03-17 at 10:37 AM.
Old 05-03-17, 10:46 AM
megamax
Lexus Champion

so now onto the core gap, i figured i could make this work by slanting the new core forward, yes it would create a gap but it would still do the job.

BUT, the nipple pipes had to be bent and altered a good amount, luckuly i had my nifty torch to make this happen.

i had to adjust the tabs for it to fit also.

Old 05-03-17, 10:57 AM
megamax
Lexus Champion

well now that is done, re install everything. for me the unit didn't want to go back in, without some force. i also had to drill a screw or 2 in the brittle/old plastic so be careful when you are handling this on a -97 car.

and finally don't forget ur front gromet for the ac lines.

back together and done, give yourself a hand... the nightmare is over

Old 05-04-17, 05:13 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 430 Likes on 315 Posts

good job Jim . These kind of threads you start help a lot of people ! Thanks ...

On my end though as I have mentioned to you on the phone , I would rather replace that whole blower assembly since I have a few of them . I hate to have some eventual leaks through those heater core pipings. It will be another nightmare to go through it again .
The following users liked this post:
megamax (05-04-17)
Old 05-04-17, 06:41 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,227 Likes on 861 Posts

Jim -- Love it that you made a step by step guide for this!! I know well the pain of taking out the entire dash in one of these cars but it has been a few years for me.

Excellent job!!

Gerry -- You're suggesting that when replacing an SC heater core it's also a good idea to replace the blower assembly that surrounds it also?
The following users liked this post:
megamax (05-04-17)
Old 05-04-17, 07:00 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 430 Likes on 315 Posts

Craig - since I have a few from different years , I would rather replace that whole AC / Heater / Blower Assembly. That whole white thing under the dash . I would have to unbolt every bolt to the firewall anyway . Less work and time to spend on my end .That is just me .

I know not every one have the luxury of having an extra of those assemblies so you have to do what you got to do as Jim did .