RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Can you return a Pre-owned Lexus to the Lexus dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-17, 04:23 PM
omarkhan78
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you return a Pre-owned Lexus to the Lexus dealer?

Hi,
I am a new driver and I bought a Lexus RX350 2012 from a Lexus dealer.Within a month, Rust bubbles popped up in the car, before the car was sold to me someone applied touch up paint to the rust spots and they are popping up now. There is rattling noise from the car when it goes over Bumps.

I purchased the vehicle on finance through a Canadian Lexus dealer. Is there any way I could return the vehicle back? What options do I have? I took Lexus for peace of mind turns out it's giving me a headache.

Thanks for your help.
Old 04-27-17, 05:26 PM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

No harm in approaching the dealer with the question.
Bottom line they will want to keep their money but may be willing to talk to you about something else on the lot.
Be reasonable & they might be too. Perhaps you can negotiate a discount on a proper paint repair job ?
Most of what you have today is the result of a previous owner.
Where are the bubbles......hood area ? Exposed to rocks from the road ?

Rattle from the car could be almost anything. Rear seat frames are noted to rattle as does the rear cargo cover.
Ask the dealer to road test it with you present, possible get it up on a hoist & identify it. Go from there.
The servicing dealer job #1 is to make money and keep people coming back while doing it.

Last edited by SteveCraig; 04-27-17 at 05:31 PM.
Old 04-27-17, 06:41 PM
omarkhan78
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SteveCraig
No harm in approaching the dealer with the question.
Bottom line they will want to keep their money but may be willing to talk to you about something else on the lot.
Be reasonable & they might be too. Perhaps you can negotiate a discount on a proper paint repair job ?
Most of what you have today is the result of a previous owner.
Where are the bubbles......hood area ? Exposed to rocks from the road ?

Rattle from the car could be almost anything. Rear seat frames are noted to rattle as does the rear cargo cover.
Ask the dealer to road test it with you present, possible get it up on a hoist & identify it. Go from there.
The servicing dealer job #1 is to make money and keep people coming back while doing it.
Thank you for your response. the bubble is on the rear trunk surface, front glass panel, near the gas tank and stone chip all over the hood.Attached are the images.
Attached Thumbnails Can you return a Pre-owned Lexus to the Lexus dealer?-front-wind-sheild.jpg   Can you return a Pre-owned Lexus to the Lexus dealer?-fuel-tank-cap.jpg   Can you return a Pre-owned Lexus to the Lexus dealer?-upper-side-on-th-back.jpg   Can you return a Pre-owned Lexus to the Lexus dealer?-trunk.jpg  
Old 04-27-17, 06:44 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

vehicle return policies are usually governed by the State in the USA, for example in CA there is no "cooling off" period, so no a return is not usually possible, however certified vehicles usually have a small warranty to cover these things..

you might want to check the law in your Canadian Province to see what applies in your area.

Last edited by mjeds; 05-01-17 at 03:27 PM.
Old 04-27-17, 07:05 PM
tincan13
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Steve. If the car is mechanically sound and the only problems you have with the car are the paint and rattle, I would keep the car. You would take too big a loss at this point to either sell or trade in the car. Talk to the dealer about doing just a touch up the paint job in their body shop.
Old 04-28-17, 06:10 AM
F250
Lead Lap

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by tincan13
I agree with Steve. If the car is mechanically sound and the only problems you have with the car are the paint and rattle, I would keep the car. You would take too big a loss at this point to either sell or trade in the car. Talk to the dealer about doing just a touch up the paint job in their body shop.
... BUT... they need to do the touch-up job properly by sanding down the rust spots all the way to the base metal, then primer/filler coat to fill in the dimple, then base coat, then clear coat... wet sanding carefully to achieve and maintain a smooth surface between each step and polishing the final clear coat.
Old 04-28-17, 08:36 AM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Received 1,101 Likes on 991 Posts

Lets not conclude that any particular party is guilty.

First: Compile the list of issues.
Second: Discuss with the dealer
Third: Find an amicable solution.

Unknowns are:
Is OP regretting the purchase and wants to leverage the situation by the late discovery of rock-chips.

Rock chips can be repaired professionally.

Salim
Old 04-28-17, 08:26 PM
roadbike56
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

When buying a used car, even a CPO car, caveat emptor applies. You need to do your homework before you buy. I did, I went over our CPO Lexus with a fine tooth comb. Still I missed scratches on the drivers door and one on the rear deck. But I don't expect perfection from a used vehicle.
Unless the dealer lied to you or sold you a clearly defective auto outside of normal wear and tear, you generally have little to no recourse. For something like rock chips, you can ask very nicely if the dealer will correct the problem, but I would be surprised on a used vehicle.
However, there is good news. There is a product called Dr. Colorchip that is very effective in hiding rock chips. It takes a little practice to learn how to used it. I took the time to learn on my previous cars and am very happy with the results. I plan on buying a Dr. Colorchip set for our just purchased 2014 RX 350.
Old 05-01-17, 08:03 AM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by mjeds
vehicle return policies are usually governed by the State in the USA, for example in CA there is no "cooling off" period, so no a return is not usually possible, however certified vehicles usually have a small warranty to cover these things..

you might want to check the law in your Canadian Providence to see what applies in your area.
Actually, in CA, there is a state mandated return policy with an additional fee. I remember it was $500 to participate in the "return" program with another $500 to "restock" the vehicle if I chose to do so (but only for the first 30 days). In hindsight, something like that could have been useful - not to return the car but to gain leverage on repairs if I found something completely overlooked.
Old 05-01-17, 08:31 AM
lx302
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by salimshah
Lets not conclude that any particular party is guilty.

First: Compile the list of issues.
Second: Discuss with the dealer
Third: Find an amicable solution.

Unknowns are:
Is OP regretting the purchase and wants to leverage the situation by the late discovery of rock-chips.

Rock chips can be repaired professionally.

Salim

Yes, returning a vehicle for a few paint chips?
Get them fixed/painted correctly with dealer assistance.
Old 05-01-17, 11:55 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MellonC00
Actually, in CA, there is a state mandated return policy with an additional fee. I remember it was $500 to participate in the "return" program with another $500 to "restock" the vehicle if I chose to do so (but only for the first 30 days). In hindsight, something like that could have been useful - not to return the car but to gain leverage on repairs if I found something completely overlooked.
you're right looks like it took affect in 2006, for used cars under certain conditions. Only gives you 2 days to return the vehicle, is non refundable and can cost up to $1000 for the option.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/de...t_facts/ffvr35

Used Car Buyers

Consumers who purchase a used car for less than $40,000 must be offered a two-day contract cancellation option agreement.NOTE: There is no "cooling off" period unless you purchase a contract cancellation option agreement.EXCEPTION: The contract cancellation option agreement does not apply to used cars priced at $40,000 or more, new cars, private party sales, motorcycles, off-highway vehicles, recreational vehicles, or vehicles sold for business or commercial use (does not include pickup trucks purchased for personal use).Cancellation Option Specifics
If you choose to purchase the contract cancellation option agreement, expect to pay:
  • $75 for a vehicle costing $5,000 or less.
  • $150 for a vehicle costing $5,001–$10,000.
  • $250 for a vehicle costing $10,001–$30,000.
  • One percent of the purchase price for a vehicle costing $30,001–39,999.
If you return the vehicle within the time specified, the dealer may charge a maximum restocking fee of:
  • $175 for a vehicle costing $5,000 or less.
  • $350 for a vehicle costing $5,001–$10,000.
  • $500 for a vehicle costing $10,001–39,999.
NOTE: The contract cancellation option agreement fee is nonrefundable. However, if the dealer charges a restocking fee, they must deduct the contract cancellation option agreement fee from the restocking fee. If the dealer did not charge for the contract cancellation option agreement and sold or transferred title of the vehicle the buyer used as a down payment or trade-in, the fair market value or value stated in the sales contract must be refunded, whichever is greater.Contract Cancellation Option Agreement Vehicle Returns
  • The buyer must return the vehicle:
  • To the dealer where purchased by close of business within two days, or within the time-frame allowed by the contract.
  • Without exceeding the miles permitted by the contract.
  • With all original receipts for the sale and contract cancellation option agreement.
  • In the same condition as received, except for reasonable wear and tear and defects or mechanical problems which occurred after the buyer took possession of the vehicle.
  • Free of all liens and encumbrances, other than those created by the sales contract.
The dealer must provide a full refund of the sales tax, registration fees, and deposit or trade-in vehicle collected from the buyer. If the buyer did not return the vehicle by the standards above, the dealer may refuse the return of the vehicle; however, a written notice must be provided to the buyer.
Old 05-01-17, 03:07 PM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mjeds
you might want to check the law in your Canadian Providence to see what applies in your area.
It's Province, eh !
Old 05-01-17, 03:27 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SteveCraig
It's Province, eh !
ok, eh..........
Old 05-02-17, 05:23 AM
rockie118
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good morning,

You might want to take a look at the factory warranty that came with the vehicle. Because your vehicle is branded 2012, you need to find out from Lexus when the vehicle was actually first on the road (that's the date when your warranty coverage would have started when the vehicle was new).

Lexus Canada has a warranty against "Corrosion Perforation" which covers 72 months, regardless of distance travelled.

If you decide that you want to keep the vehicle, trying to get this warranty coverage might be a good option.

Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
omarkhan78 (05-25-17)
Old 05-02-17, 08:46 AM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Received 1,101 Likes on 991 Posts

Originally Posted by rockie118
Good morning,

You might want to take a look at the factory warranty that came with the vehicle. Because your vehicle is branded 2012, you need to find out from Lexus when the vehicle was actually first on the road (that's the date when your warranty coverage would have started when the vehicle was new).

Lexus Canada has a warranty against "Corrosion Perforation" which covers 72 months, regardless of distance travelled.

If you decide that you want to keep the vehicle, trying to get this warranty coverage might be a good option.

Good luck!
Rockie:
The paint chips need to be examined, which the dealer should do once the issue is brought to them. If the reason is from inside out then manufacturers base warranty applies. If on the other hand it is due to a projectile which chipped the paint and then the metal was exposed and corrosion set in [followed by a poor/delayed job off paint coverup] then the base warranty would not apply. The owner then can make use of the insurance or pay out of pocket.
Typically the warranty you are talking about applies to the underside of the vehicle [non-colred/painted].

Salim

Quick Reply: Can you return a Pre-owned Lexus to the Lexus dealer?