ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Lower Spring Insulators alternative (on Suspension Coils)

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-17, 06:56 PM
nikovdh
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lower Spring Insulators alternative (on Suspension Coils)

I ordered KYB struts for my 1999 ES300, along with all brand new OEM components (bearings, mounts, etc. EXCEPT for the lower spring insulators- because of a post I saw *below*). I have not installed the struts yet (probably in 2 weeks).

The topic of this post is regarding alternatives to the Lower Spring Insulators (which run like 15$ each, requiring 4 total: 60$+ for some stupid shaped rubber) and how it might affect the vehicle.

While researching and reading suspension posts, I saw a post by Lexmex (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...yb-gr-2-a.html) over in the RX forums, where he uses plastic hosing around the bottom of the coils instead of using lower spring insulators (claiming that this setup lasts much longer than the typical rubber lower insulators). He also claims it is a very common alternative to lower insulators in Mexico. This option is much more budget friendly, and if it lasts longer, then it sounds very worthy of using over the typical lower spring insulators.

My questions about this though, are:

1. Has anyone used this method and have had it hold up long term without any problems with noise that were directly caused by using this method?
What about anyone who isn't using insulators nor hosing?

2. How does this option affect ride height? If the hosing has a little height to it when flattened against the lower coil seat, just like the insulator would have some height when flattered against the lower coil seat, then I wonder if it would make little to no difference in ride height? However, I've seen a couple posts through google about people purposely lowering their ride height by using "Heater Hose mod" instead of insulators (Note: not a plastic kind like in LexMex's post), but I believe they just use the hose at the top end, while taking out insulator.
[I do not want my ride height altered unless it is so slight and not noticeable]

3. If I was concerned about ride height, I wonder if I could just glue a layer or 3 of "Solid Grip Shelf Liner" in a similar location/fashion around inside the lower seat on the KYB struts + use the plastic hose /or/ heater hose, etc. around the bottom 22 inches of the coil spring like LexMex suggests. Seems like no noise could ever result from such coil on metal protection either.. but I don't know how well shelf liner would hold up.

4. Has anyone ever tried anything else?
Attached Thumbnails Lower Spring Insulators alternative (on Suspension Coils)-img_0047.jpg   Lower Spring Insulators alternative (on Suspension Coils)-4240222.jpg   Lower Spring Insulators alternative (on Suspension Coils)-black-20-in-x-6-ft-add1-image.png.jpg  
Old 04-26-17, 07:54 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,712 Likes on 2,297 Posts

I've heard of people using fuel line successfully, the difference in ride height will be very small and not noticeable. The main issue I have with with doing this is the hose is going to be a moisture trap the bottom of the coil is probably going to rust and maybe even break.
Old 04-27-17, 02:07 AM
nikovdh
Rookie

I broke down and bought the OEM lower insulation for all 4 corners. Found an online parts store with good shipping price since ebay and amazon were pretty bad with these parts, so total 57$.

Your point about moisture trap is a good one.

I'm too worried about jumping outside the design of the car in this case, and I've already spent 725$, so I might as well do it by the books.

I didn't buy the "Spring Upper Seat"s though.. it seems like those aren't talked about as a "wear" item and a source of noise, so I'm not super worried. Good thing those are only on the front though.

Last edited by nikovdh; 04-27-17 at 02:22 AM.
Old 04-27-17, 09:08 AM
Oro
Racer

Received 339 Likes on 294 Posts

When I replaced our car's suspension at 220k, there was no real degradation to the insulators. I just re-used them. I inspected them yesterday at a tire rotation and all is as it should be 50k later. I think unless you get to a really blown suspension that is moving a lot, you can't wear these out.

That said, it's nothing special and it would be easy to fabricate some from available materials as you've figured out vs. ordering new ones.
Old 04-27-17, 02:16 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,712 Likes on 2,297 Posts

Originally Posted by nikovdh
I broke down and bought the OEM lower insulation for all 4 corners
I've done the same, Monroe makes them but don't bother they don't fit, too big.
Originally Posted by Oro
When I replaced our car's suspension at 220k, there was no real degradation to the insulators. I just re-used them.
Done many suspension renews the lower insulators were all bad, the best ones still had holes where the end of the coil contacts.
Old 04-28-17, 02:08 AM
nikovdh
Rookie

I'm not sure I trust that mine are good. My boots are all cracked except one corner, and the lower insulators are all shredded on the top part. Original suspension parts still at 163k miles.

There isn't much noise.. some little clunks though, and pretty rough feeling on rough roads. Feels smooth on perfect roads still. The shocks leak oil. It doesn't handle turns all that well.
I plan on doing the sway bushings too.. It seems people say those are pretty worn when you're around 150k.

Last edited by nikovdh; 04-28-17 at 02:16 AM.
Old 04-28-17, 02:19 AM
nikovdh
Rookie

On a side note. I don't know if you guys know about this site, but their shipping costs to me are extremely low (I don't know if it would be the same for everyone?) Far lower shipping costs (and lower total cost for me) than any other Toyota OEM supplier (I spent a work night clicking through them all and checking shipping/total costs from each one)

Some items are cheaper on amazon/ebay.. but when they aren't (like for the lower insulators).. this website seems great.

https://www.oemgenuineparts.com/

Last edited by nikovdh; 04-28-17 at 02:23 AM.
Old 04-28-17, 08:32 PM
Oro
Racer

Received 339 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
I've done the same, Monroe makes them but don't bother they don't fit, too big.

Done many suspension renews the lower insulators were all bad, the best ones still had holes where the end of the coil contacts.
sometimes true, but in many cases you can rotate it about 10° and it's good as new. Not always, but often.