GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Vaistech MML vs. SLB3 (Bluetooth)

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-17, 11:22 AM
Dmeadow
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Vaistech MML vs. SLB3 (Bluetooth)

Considering buying one of the other of these systems to patch over my problem with the factory Aux not working in my 2008 GX470. Vaistech tells me that the MML has better music quality, but that the SLB3 Bluetooth system has more convenient connectivity and those are the only differences. However, for the Bluetooth system it seems you have to organize everything in playlists, which doesn't seem to be the case with MML, correct?

The hardwire connectivity doesn't bother me if I'm gaining quality. I've got the Mark Levinson system and I'd like to take full advantage of it. Is the difference in sound quality distinguishable?

I will be using the system to connect to iPhone and iPad for both music and to listen to podcasts and audiobooks.
Old 04-21-17, 12:26 PM
dkpnkc
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If I'm reading the descriptions properly it appears the SLB3 allows you to control the device via the factory controls (radio face & steering wheel controls), whereas the MML does not. I haven't used BT audio that much in my cars but when I have ('14 Focus ST & '13 Mustang GT) I feel the quality is not that great to begin with. For the GX I wanted Sirius & iPod so I bought a kit that used the iPod cable & uses the factory controls - though it's far from perfect compared to OEM setups (not sound but rather controls).

If it was me I'd pick the functionality (SLB3) as I change what's playing quite a bit, but if you're the type the turns on the music and doesn't fidget a lot with what's playing then I guess sound (MML). Sounds like you're used to controlling the music from the device since you used the aux port, so it wouldn't be a change.

Oh, by the way, be careful when you pull the trim pieces to remove the radio. I broke a tab on the walnut trim & thought "Oh well, it's probably cheap." then had a heart attack when I looked it up. I'll live with the broken tab...
The following users liked this post:
Dmeadow (04-21-17)
Old 04-21-17, 01:24 PM
Dmeadow
Rookie

Thanks, dkpnkc. I don't understand the distinction you are making on the controls, though. Both descriptions for each system on the Vaistech website say "You have a choice to control your music either from your radio or directly from the connected device." I downloaded the Installation/Operations manuals for both devices, as well, and, at least for CD/MD Emulation modes it shows identical screen shots of the factory radio screen for controls.

The main difference I found in the manuals is that the MML supports a variety of file formats that the SLB3 does not. Not that it matters for me, since I doubt I'll be using anything other than my iPhone.
Old 04-21-17, 01:37 PM
dkpnkc
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ah, I apologize - I didn't read good enough!
Old 04-21-17, 04:31 PM
Dmeadow
Rookie

Originally Posted by dkpnkc
Ah, I apologize - I didn't read good enough!
No problem whatsoever. Thank you for making the effort!
Old 04-21-17, 10:37 PM
LoneHiker
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

My phone supports aptx over bluetooth which is audiophile quality. I don't know if my sl3b supports aptx or not, but the sound quality is indistinguishable from CD/DVD. I'm a DIY audiophile and I've done extensive A-B testing on bluetooth vs cd sound quality in the GX. So I wouldn't worry about bluetooth quality too much as long as your phone has decent bluetooth codec support.
Old 04-22-17, 07:42 PM
tomclayton
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Vaistech SL3b

I have an 09 GX470 and wanted bluetooth for IPod. Just received a SL3B today [4/22/17] and ,of course, spotted a negative post yesterday. Maybe one of you can decode what Erkelbot https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...tech-sl3b.html is saying about his problems with Vaistech/Apple/SL3b. I don't know if I should open this thing or send it back.
Old 04-24-17, 06:02 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

I have the MML and it works well. Plays MP3 and WAV files (and maybe others), but not Apple Lossless (m4a).

The only annoyance is that it uses a directory for caching and when loading new files on the USB stick you have to delete it first, before adding new files. Otherwise the device will see it in the directory (even though it was marked as deleted) and use the stale info in there.

Sound quality is excellent.

You can have up to 99 folders, each with up to 99 songs (seems to be a limitation of the MiniDisc emulation they use). I have a few 2 hour long WAV files and it plays them fine.

Chip H.
Old 04-24-17, 08:29 AM
Dmeadow
Rookie

Originally Posted by tomclayton
I have an 09 GX470 and wanted bluetooth for IPod. Just received a SL3B today [4/22/17] and ,of course, spotted a negative post yesterday. Maybe one of you can decode what Erkelbot https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...tech-sl3b.html is saying about his problems with Vaistech/Apple/SL3b. I don't know if I should open this thing or send it back.
The thing about playing the same song every time you initiate it is an Apple thing. My iPhone does that, too, just with earbuds or using the Aux cable. How any of that could affect the steering wheel controls I have no idea.
Old 04-25-17, 07:56 AM
Dmeadow
Rookie

Checked with Vaistech and they indicated their Bluetooth device does not support aptx. They said it may do so in the future, but they have no plan or schedule to include it. I'm not sure it matters too much for me, since my iPhone doesn't support it, either. Still haven't made up my mind...
Old 04-25-17, 09:53 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

I have a 2004 gx470 I installed the sl3b blue tooth an dam very happy with quality . The play list requirements are just naming them with a number. I have so many music choices now not just BT but also Pandora and other app
Old 04-25-17, 01:08 PM
Dmeadow
Rookie

OK, finally pulled the trigger on the SL3b. In the end, convenience won out. I don't do USB stick so that function of the MML would be lost on me. Also, this way one less cord to deal with in the cabin. Thanks, everyone, for your input.
Old 04-29-17, 01:35 PM
DiabloX22
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Did you look at the USA Spec BT45? This is all new to me! I skimmed through what you are trying to do. It may be incorrect, but a thought.

Last edited by DiabloX22; 04-29-17 at 01:37 PM. Reason: add
Old 04-29-17, 05:19 PM
Dmeadow
Rookie

Originally Posted by DiabloX22
Did you look at the USA Spec BT45? This is all new to me! I skimmed through what you are trying to do. It may be incorrect, but a thought.
Yes, but IIRC that one disabled the CD/DVD drive, which I didn't want to do. I think it also took over the Bluetooth phone function, which I didn't need.
Old 05-01-17, 12:12 PM
deeken
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Dmeadow
Yes, but IIRC that one disabled the CD/DVD drive, which I didn't want to do. I think it also took over the Bluetooth phone function, which I didn't need.
This is not true. You can use your existing CD Player along with the Bluetooth with the USA Spec BT45. I installed this a week ago and was able to use both the CD player and the bluetooth.