LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Door check pin replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-17, 11:19 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 408 Likes on 346 Posts
Default Door check pin replacement

Our LS400'S use a split tension pin to fasten the door check to the front door jamb bracket.

This tension pin loses tension over time causing loose fitting between the door check and door jamb bracket .

The pins, door brackets are inexpensive so I elected to replace them along with the door check plastic covers...

Total parts cost for front doors about $20 Exploded parts diagram containing Door Check and related hardware.
Cropped image showing relevant parts. Items 68617, 68621A (D) and 68618 (C) were replaced.
I will also be replacing torx head mounting bolt 90148-80006..which has an integral nylon shoulder bushing...
Removing Door Check plastic cover. P.N. 68621-50030
Door Check pivots on slotted tension pin
The Door Check Tensioner Pin presses out from the bottom up..A few very light taps from a hammer works well.. Since I am not reusing the pin, I utilized a lock pliers to gently ease the pin out...Mind the composit door check arm...it is part of a $125 assembly should you break it.
Door Check Pin Bracket and Door Check Pin
Side view of new door check bracket.
Toyota Body Grease was used...Expensive stuff, but it is compatible with plastics and lasts forever...
Side-by-side picture of the old tension pin (left) and new tension pin (right) The old pin has compressed such that it no longer has tension as evidenced by the closure of the slot...as compared to new part...If you do nothing else, replace the pins. I estimate 365 days X 18 years X 2 door openings/day(4 compression cycles) = 26,280 cycles...conservative..
Replacing with new tension pin removed slop and ultimately decreases wear and tear on expensive door check assembly arm.

# 40 Torx bit required

Last edited by YODAONE; 02-16-17 at 11:28 PM.
The following users liked this post:
UNCNOR (02-19-17)
Old 02-17-17, 12:12 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Yeah the grease, about 50 bucks for a sooo small quantity. Agree good stuff though.
Old 02-18-17, 07:06 AM
YoshiMan
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

Huh.... never knew they sold the body grease by itself.... you learn something new everyday
Old 02-18-17, 10:28 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 173 Likes on 130 Posts

I Learned : if it last forever, why do you need to buy more??
Old 02-18-17, 12:44 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by billydpowe
I Learned : if it last forever, why do you need to buy more??
The short answer is the new replacement parts from Lexus do not have the lubricant that lasts forever....that is sold separately.
Old 02-20-17, 05:17 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by YODAONE
Our LS400'S use a split tension pin to fasten the door check to the front door jamb bracket.

This tension pin loses tension over time causing loose fitting between the door check and door jamb bracket .

The pins, door brackets are inexpensive so I elected to replace them along with the door check plastic covers...

Total parts cost for front doors about $20 Exploded parts diagram containing Door Check and related hardware.
Cropped image showing relevant parts. Items 68617, 68621A (D) and 68618 (C) were replaced.
I will also be replacing torx head mounting bolt 90148-80006..which has an integral nylon shoulder bushing...
Removing Door Check plastic cover. P.N. 68621-50030
Door Check pivots on slotted tension pin
The Door Check Tensioner Pin presses out from the bottom up..A few very light taps from a hammer works well.. Since I am not reusing the pin, I utilized a lock pliers to gently ease the pin out...Mind the composit door check arm...it is part of a $125 assembly should you break it.
Door Check Pin Bracket and Door Check Pin
Side view of new door check bracket.
Toyota Body Grease was used...Expensive stuff, but it is compatible with plastics and lasts forever...
Side-by-side picture of the old tension pin (left) and new tension pin (right) The old pin has compressed such that it no longer has tension as evidenced by the closure of the slot...as compared to new part...If you do nothing else, replace the pins. I estimate 365 days X 18 years X 2 door openings/day(4 compression cycles) = 26,280 cycles...conservative..
Replacing with new tension pin removed slop and ultimately decreases wear and tear on expensive door check assembly arm.

# 40 Torx bit required

Replaced the rear door check pins...much improved pin tension in the door bracket which eliminated all check pin movement while opening and closing door..much smoother operation.

Well worth it...all pins had taken a compression set.

Inexpensive fix.. $10 for all 4.

If using lubricant , be sure it is compatible with plastics/composite material.

Toyota body grease is expensive but works well..and is recommended by Lexus for other areas such as steering tlt and telescopic gears, power antenna, etc. Use sparingly and it will go a long way.
Old 03-29-21, 08:57 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Default Door check repair kit

Our Door Checks are well made, but use and age have taken their toll.

The Driver's door on 1999 LS400 is not bad after 22 years but is not as smooth and precise as new. $100 - $150 each to replace.

Located Unevix, a Russian manufacturer of Door Check Repair Kits:

Images taken from Unevix e-bay posting

Image of door check

Tabs of door check assembly being pried open

Door Check internal components..

Graphite i.pregnated rubber components and dry lubricant

Kit components depicted

Facebook Post

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Door-Check-...-/293974992513

Door Check repair kits appear to be a focus of Unevix.

The rubber molding appears to be spot on, but is unclear spring tension and whether and how springs are heat-treated...

Anyone use this kit?
Old 04-01-21, 11:26 AM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Default Ordered door check rebuild kit

Originally Posted by YODAONE
Our Door Checks are well made, but use and age have taken their toll.

The Driver's door on 1999 LS400 is not bad after 22 years but is not as smooth and precise as new. $100 - $150 each to replace.

Located Unevix, a Russian manufacturer of Door Check Repair Kits:

Images taken from Unevix e-bay posting

Image of door check

Tabs of door check assembly being pried open

Door Check internal components..

Graphite i.pregnated rubber components and dry lubricant

Kit components depicted

https://m.facebook.com/pg/plasticauto/posts/

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Door-Check-...-/293974992513

Door Check repair kits appear to be a focus of Unevix.

The rubber molding appears to be spot on, but is unclear spring tension and whether and how springs are heat-treated...

Anyone use this kit?
Ordered two Door Check Repair kitsfrom Unevix.

They recommend

"To pick up the kit correctly, we need year of manufacture, or better FRAME number of your car.

We do not make springs, just plastic fixators. They're made of polyamide 6 filled with graphite, polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) and molybdenum disulfide (MoS2).
This is highly durable material, recipe of own invention."

We would be glad to send you Door Check Repair Kits for Lexus LS400.
To pick up the kit correctly, we need year of manufacture, or better FRAME number of your car.

We do not make springs, just plastic fixators. They're made of polyamide 6 filled with graphite, polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) and molybdenum disulfide (MoS2).
This is highly durable material, recipe of own invention
Kit contents:fixators, compresatory plates, dry lubricant with applicator and installation manual.
We also provide 3 years warranty on them."

Several kit images:

RA40 (05-02-21)
Old 04-20-21, 08:32 PM
vidlev
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Yoda, have you installed these yet? Rear door checks are NLA so I am looking into restoring my current rears.
Old 04-21-21, 12:53 AM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Default Door Check Rebuuld Kit

Originally Posted by vidlev
Yoda, have you installed these yet? Rear door checks are NLA so I am looking into restoring my current rears.
Ordered door check restoration parts from the manufacturer and await their arrival...
Old 04-26-21, 04:27 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Default Door check repair kit arrived

The Unevix Repair kit arrived today "From Russia With Love"

This is from movie "From Russia with Love"

Repair kit includes; "Rollers", Lock & Hinge Lubricant and applicator brush for what appears to be 4 doors....

Instructions are straightforward English.

Instructions continued..

Vehicle Compatibility List for Type 2 Repair Kit.

Car Trim Removal Tools Kit...also made in Russia. Appears to be very good quality plastic and design
Old 05-02-21, 05:31 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Default Extracted and surveyed door check assembly

Removed door panel and door speaker to gain access to remove Door Check Assembly.

To determine whether your front driver's side door check is worn, simply open front passenger door and compare feel and movement.

The passenger side exhibited better movement and zero clunk extending to full open position..

Have not included images of door panel and speaker removal, but the door trim tool kit provided made quick work of removing the door switch plate..

Tool is angled to allow insertion and plate pops up and out easily

Speaker is removed to access the door cavity and extract Door Check Assembly.

Door Check Assembly extracted.

Tabs opened and assembly opened...notice degradation on rubber cushion/stop.

Unit internals

Original door check incorporates rolling pins

Another image depicting degraded and separated rubber stopper.

Due to degradation of the rubber component am replacing the entire door check assembly..

Last edited by YODAONE; 05-02-21 at 05:38 PM.
RA40 (05-02-21)
Old 05-14-21, 12:33 PM
dunk50
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Can someone tell me if this repair is JUST to keep the door open or does it in fact slow down the closing. I have asked the same question on a few forums and have not gotten an answer . My 2004 GX470 doors close way to easy to the point if you start them closing they just slam. It's bone jarring. I am trying to figure out if these are part of the problem or if it's door seals or an air vent issue. ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.
Old 05-14-21, 02:47 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dunk50
Can someone tell me if this repair is JUST to keep the door open or does it in fact slow down the closing. I have asked the same question on a few forums and have not gotten an answer . My 2004 GX470 doors close way to easy to the point if you start them closing they just slam. It's bone jarring. I am trying to figure out if these are part of the problem or if it's door seals or an air vent issue. ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.
So, first, I like projects so contacted the manufacturer in Russia and they were very helpful and knowledgeable about their product.

I acquired a set and removed my door panel and door check assembly.

My LS400 unit incorporates a rubber bumper that was disintegrating, so am replacing my entire unit.
When I obtain a new unit, will report whether a difference.

One way you can immediately determine wear on driver's door is by comparing it to front passenger door operation.

As to the repair kit..after replacing original door check, either I rebuild my old unit for show and tell purposes or, I contact you to provide you with parts to do rebuild on yours (provided LX470 uses same kit).

Again, I did take and post pictures of my door check disassembled, but did not actually rebuild it.

The new plastic parts should offer improved operation out of door check across the range of motion, including improved tension..as the repair kit dispenses with the metal rollers in favor of engineered plastic and special lubricant.

The rebuild kit should offer you some relief, but, alas, am not able to tell you more at this time.

Last edited by YODAONE; 05-14-21 at 02:52 PM.