mirror tilting acting weird

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-16, 05:58 AM
strikeraj
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question mirror tilting acting weird

Hello CL
Just the last two days my reverse mirror tilting on 2008 IS350 has been acting weird
The driver side mirror still tilt fully as before, but the passenger side just tilt a very tiny bit and stop.
I confirm the motor is still working by manually adjusting the position of the mirror, so I am guessing there is some signal issue or it thinks it has reached the stop position early?
Is there any way to adjust the stop position?

has anyone encounter this before?
I am so used to backing in with this feature and it feels really awkward without it.

Thanks
Old 10-05-16, 08:09 AM
scott1256c
Pole Position

I've run into this in the past, but passenger mirror. Now I leave the switch in the middle to turn it off since I heard it was hard on the motor and would wear it out prematurely.
My recollection is that resetting the seat position and saving would only fix the problem for a time or two, and then would reappear. I THINK this was resolved on my car when I disconnected the battery and reconnected. So you might try disconnecting for a 1/2 hr. or so.
Old 10-12-16, 07:48 AM
strikeraj
Driver

Just did a bit more testing as I don't really want to disconnect battery yet.
If I put in reverse, it automatically tilts down slightly. Then I can manually tilt it down all the way. When I put it in D again, it will still come back up fully to my set position.
Old 10-12-16, 09:25 AM
See5
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Same here.. IS350 . It is annoying as it doesn't even return to its original position.
Old 10-12-16, 12:17 PM
jjc250
Driver

Same thing happened to my driver's side mirror but I just leave the switch in the center position since I don't use that feature. Unfortunately, there's nothing we can do besides replacing the motor itself.
Old 10-13-16, 07:05 AM
CarterIS
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had the same thing happen to me about 3 months back on my 08 IS350. And believe it or not I couldnt find anything on what actually caused it, I was about to just ignore it, but it's actually a surprisingly easy fix.

I was planning to install turn signal side view mirrors around that time anyway. I never even thought about fixing it, the plan was to just keep an eye out for a motor from a donor car, which I did. Luckily nothing came up, or I would've been out a couple hundred bucks or so.
Old 10-13-16, 07:07 AM
CarterIS
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FIX - "What worked for me"

Anyways, to the point. Please read through it before attempting it.
I went to install my turn signal mirrors, so while they were OFF the car, the plan was to spray the motor with a bit of grease. I didn't have the grease on hand. So I decided to just play around with it. Seems like the motor was just stuck or lost its memory position.

Step 1 and 2 are performed intermittently the 1st time around.
Steps
0. I performed this while the mirror was unmounted, but I'm sure looking at it now, it could've been done while still in place.
1. What I did was move it all the way in All 4 directions (Up, Down, Side to Side, by pushing on the glass.
2. I was holding the mirror assembly since it was removed from the door, so i got the gf to move it in all directions using the controls. (When I finished moving it all the way up, she would hold the control in the up position for a couple seconds)
3. Once you complete cycling all directions. Select your memory option to put the mirror in your prefered driving position. Then put the switch to either side so auto tilt is engaged.
4. Put the car in reverse, and check if it goes all the way down then back into drive. At this point it still didn't work for me.
5. If it worked then no need to continue, if it didn't go to step 6.
6. Repeat step 1-4. BUT the second time around, do step 1 by itself. 2-3 times in each direction, followed by step on and 2 as mention.

**For me I went all the way to step 6, about 3 times, with the mirror going a little further down, the second time. Then operating as usual the 3rd time.

Last edited by CarterIS; 10-13-16 at 07:13 AM.
The following users liked this post:
TonicGin (05-02-24)
Old 10-14-16, 07:18 PM
JM1995
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I too have this problem, mine do go down all the way though but when they go back up they end up in different positions and I have to manually adjust them again.
Old 10-14-16, 07:58 PM
Grizsk
Driver

Received 51 Likes on 18 Posts

'07 350 with the same issue here, passenger side only. The mirror tilts down in reverse intermittently, but almost never returns to its preset position. Thinking I'll just grab some new JDM turn signal units and be done with the nuisance.
Old 10-15-16, 01:56 PM
strikeraj
Driver

Originally Posted by CarterIS

I went to install my turn signal mirrors, so while they were OFF the car, the plan was to spray the motor with a bit of grease. I didn't have the grease on hand. So I decided to just play around with it. Seems like the motor was just stuck or lost its memory position.

Steps
0. I performed this while the mirror was unmounted, but I'm sure looking at it now, it could've been done while still in place.
1. What I did was move it all the way in All 4 directions (Up, Down, Side to Side, by pushing on the glass.
2. I was holding the mirror assembly since it was removed from the door, so i got the gf to move it in all directions using the controls. (When I finished moving it all the way up, she would hold the control in the up position for a couple seconds)
3. Once you complete cycling all directions. Select your memory option to put the mirror in your prefered driving position. Then put the switch to either side so auto tilt is engaged.
4. Put the car in reverse, and check if it goes all the way down then back into drive. At this point it still didn't work for me.
6. Repeat step 1-4. BUT the second time around, do step 1 by itself. 2-3 times in each direction, followed by step on and 2 as mention.

**For me I went all the way to step 6, about 3 times, with the mirror going a little further down, the second time. Then operating as usual the 3rd time.
fixed!!
This method works for me!
One repeat and mirror tilting again.
The only step I did extra is blowing compressed air through the side when manually tilting, trying to clean some dirt out, not really sure if that helped though
Old 05-02-24, 02:39 PM
TonicGin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CarterIS

Steps

Thank you! Your method is still being greatly helpful in 2024.
Apparently the mirror started to act funny after I disconnected it to replace a cracked frame housing. No reverse tilting and only horizontal memory, etc.
Followed your steps and it is now fully functional again!