RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

iOS 17.5 Apple Update Broke Siri for Apple Music

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-24, 07:53 PM
ColoradoDavid
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default iOS 17.5 Apple Update Broke Siri for Apple Music

More than one person I know experienced this. It is a iPhone issue, but was hard to run down. Using CarPlay in my 2024 RX350, "ask Siri" to play Apple Music (or a song or album in Apple Music) resulted in this message: "There was a network problem getting Apple Music." After many hours of trying different things, the fix was to "Reset All Network Settings" on the iPhone. Google it if you need it. Simple enough but have to reenter Wifi passwords, mainly. This tip will save you hours if you have this issue pop up.
Old 05-14-24, 03:44 AM
Urlik
Instructor

Received 545 Likes on 375 Posts

I’m curious why you aren’t using the Apple music built into the car right now while it is still in the three year trial?
Old 05-14-24, 05:20 AM
QPL
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Urlik
I’m curious why you aren’t using the Apple music built into the car right now while it is still in the three year trial?
Say what now....free Apple Music????
Old 05-14-24, 05:29 AM
Urlik
Instructor

Originally Posted by QPL
Say what now....free Apple Music????
You still need an Apple Music sub but the car uses the cell network to use it from the multimedia unit. Three year trial for the car on the cell for music. Amazon music too BTW.
The following users liked this post:
ColoradoDavid (05-14-24)
Old 05-14-24, 05:38 AM
QPL
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

You still need an Apple Music sub but the car uses the cell network to use it from the multimedia unit. Three year trial for the car on the cell for music. Amazon music too BTW.
Thanks. My Iphone always connects when I'm in the car (RX350 2024)
ColoradoDavid (05-14-24)
Old 05-14-24, 07:41 AM
Deeps1
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

i would personally delay this update. There are videos about the phone battery draining fast among other issues. The last time i upgraded to 17.3 my remote car connect stopped working for a few days and when i ended up calling the 1800 for lexus the first Q asked was did i migrate recently. I am going to wait this out.
ColoradoDavid (05-14-24)
Old 05-14-24, 08:10 AM
ColoradoDavid
Rookie

I was just trying to run music from my Apple Music Library stored on my iPhone (not steaming from Apple servers). But even this operation, that should not need to contact remote Apple services, was denied because of a bug in my Iphones operating system - that could only be fixed by the procedure I posted. I have not enabled my free three month wifi hotspot trial for the Lexus yet - and also have not activated the free Apple Music trial available in the Lexus app.

Last edited by ColoradoDavid; 05-14-24 at 08:30 AM.
Old 05-14-24, 08:11 AM
ColoradoDavid
Rookie

Originally Posted by Deeps1
i would personally delay this update. There are videos about the phone battery draining fast among other issues. The last time i upgraded to 17.3 my remote car connect stopped working for a few days and when i ended up calling the 1800 for lexus the first Q asked was did i migrate recently. I am going to wait this out.
I always jump on the updates and often the beta updates. It's pretty much always a mistake. Good for you!
Old 05-14-24, 09:08 AM
Urlik
Instructor

Originally Posted by ColoradoDavid
I have not enabled my free three month wifi hotspot trial for the Lexus yet - and also have not activated the free Apple Music trial available in the Lexus app.
Nothing to activate. It was turned on for three years as part of integrated streaming included in drive connect, i.e. "Hey Lexus." It doesn't use wifi hotspot. If you have an Apple Music sub already you can use the car's integrated streaming.
Old 05-14-24, 09:37 AM
ColoradoDavid
Rookie

Nothing to activate. It was turned on for three years as part of integrated streaming included in drive connect, i.e. "Hey Lexus." It doesn't use wifi hotspot. If you have an Apple Music sub already you can use the car's integrated streaming.
Hmmm. I am unable to access Apple Music or Amazon Music thru the Lexus operating system. If I try linking my Apple and Amazon account in the Lexus app, I get various paid options to allow streaming of those services and integration in the Lexus OS. I've scanned the deep dive video's and posts. If I "hi Lexus" play Rolling Stones on Apple Music - I get a voice response "Please log into your Apple Music account in the Lexus app." Trying to link Apple Music in the Lexus app brings up opportunities for paid sub to Apple Music. If I "Hi Lexus" play Amazon Music, I am offered a QR link on the screen that takes me to places to sub for Amazon paid plans. I am probably doing something wrong?

Old 05-14-24, 09:46 AM
Urlik
Instructor

Do you have a base model RX? Base model may not include the 3 years. I do not have either service so I haven't used them.

From the manual:
"Playing Integrated Streaming
The Integrated Streaming can be listened via audio system. In order to use this
function, the customer needs to download and install the Lexus app to mobile
device first. Your music account must be linked in Lexus app.
Go to https://www.lexus.com for more information.
This function is not available in some countries or areas."

Here's the Lexus FAQ on it: https://support.lexus.com/s/article/...treaming-10848
Since I don't use it, I may have made some assumptions that are not correct.

Last edited by Urlik; 05-14-24 at 09:51 AM.
ColoradoDavid (05-14-24)
Old 05-14-24, 10:59 AM
ColoradoDavid
Rookie

Do you have a base model RX? Base model may not include the 3 years. I do not have either service so I haven't used them.

From the manual:
"Playing Integrated Streaming
The Integrated Streaming can be listened via audio system. In order to use this
function, the customer needs to download and install the Lexus app to mobile
device first. Your music account must be linked in Lexus app.
Go to https://www.lexus.com for more information.
This function is not available in some countries or areas."

Here's the Lexus FAQ on it: https://support.lexus.com/s/article/...treaming-10848
Since I don't use it, I may have made some assumptions that are not correct.
@Urlik , as always you are very helpful. Mine is an RX350 Luxury with most options. I dug around on one of the links you provided and found the below. So the short answer is you need paid subscriptions to access either Apple Music server or Amazon Music server - if you want to use "Hi Lexus" to access and control them. The alternative is Apple CarPlay (or Android I imagine) - where you phone connects to music on your phone, and also connects to whatever free or other plan you have with Apple or Amazon music service. This Lexus thread below should help others, altho the language they use is still is not crystal clear. It has not been easy to sort out, so thanks again.

----
Do I receive Trial subscriptions with Apple Music and Amazon Music when I enable Integrated Streaming?

Integrated Streaming requires a Wi-Fi Connect, Music Lover or Premium Connected Services Plan, which in turn does not include trial subscriptions to Apple Music or Amazon Music.
----
Urlik (05-14-24)
Old 05-14-24, 11:11 AM
Urlik
Instructor

Thanks, sorry for steering you in the wrong direction for a bit.
ColoradoDavid (05-14-24)
Old 05-16-24, 08:48 PM
tolson37
10th Gear

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ColoradoDavid
More than one person I know experienced this. It is a iPhone issue, but was hard to run down. Using CarPlay in my 2024 RX350, "ask Siri" to play Apple Music (or a song or album in Apple Music) resulted in this message: "There was a network problem getting Apple Music." After many hours of trying different things, the fix was to "Reset All Network Settings" on the iPhone. Google it if you need it. Simple enough but have to reenter Wifi passwords, mainly. This tip will save you hours if you have this issue pop up.
No problem on my 2024 RX - I use Apple CarPlay and updated my iPhone yesterday. Works like a charm - hopefully you'll get it figured out.