LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2008 Lexus LS460 ML system audio help

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-24, 11:13 PM
Fishieboy
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Lexus LS460 ML system audio help

Hello everyone. I am new to the forum and hoping for some help with figuring out an issue with the audio in my 2008 LS460 with ML system.

Curiously, the functionality of the audio system seems to be working properly short of no audio output in any of the larger speakers in my four doors and in the subwoofer. The mids and highs sound pretty great in the smaller dash and door speakers, but there is no bass whatsoever due to complete lack of sound from the aforementioned larger speakers. I have tried ever method I could think of within the settings to illicit sound in these speakers, including using the fader/balancer, EQ settings, switching on and off surround sound and ASL, and different audio sources - to no avail.

I read numerous Club Lexus forum posts which mentioned that the ML amplifier may commonly be the culprit, so I bough a refurbished unit on eBay and installed it. This did not solve the problem.

I read a further forum post saying it was the ML stereo likely causing the problem. Again, I purchased a unit on eBay and installed it with no difference in the sound.

I have also removed and examined each fuse related to the audio system and all seem to be intact.

Has anyone experienced this issue before and found a solution? I am close to throwing in the towel and looking into having a subwoofer installed, but I heard the quality of the ML system is superb and I'm sure I would be more than happy with this should it function properly.

Thank you for your time. Sincere apologies if this has been answered before.
Old 05-04-24, 07:06 AM
Vtallysx4
Pit Crew

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Have you tested the speakers themselves?
The following users liked this post:
Fishieboy (05-05-24)
Old 05-04-24, 08:27 AM
jmcraney

Received 257 Likes on 197 Posts

You need to check the equalizer to see if is set to diminish the output to those speakers. And you need to be sure your content contains audio that would be reflected in those speakers.
Fishieboy (05-05-24)
Old 05-04-24, 03:08 PM
Fishieboy
3rd Gear

Thanks for the replies so far. The equalizer in the car has been adjusted both to maximum and minimum levels on all of the mid, treble, and bass bars. I have used both heavy bass music and rock music through my aux connection as well as through a CD and on the FM radio, but this does not make a difference.

I have looked physically at the speakers and they look fine, but I have not checked if they are receiving power. I will look into what tools I will need and see if this makes a difference.
Old 05-04-24, 08:21 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,220 Likes on 966 Posts

It sounds like you can’t be certain the used amp and head unit even work properly. Are you certain the replacements are an exact match? If not, that could be the problem as there are frequent changes between model years. United Radio does repairs to the systems. They are available to talk on the phone to help you.
Fishieboy (05-05-24)
Old 05-04-24, 11:01 PM
Vtallysx4
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Fishieboy
Thanks for the replies so far. The equalizer in the car has been adjusted both to maximum and minimum levels on all of the mid, treble, and bass bars. I have used both heavy bass music and rock music through my aux connection as well as through a CD and on the FM radio, but this does not make a difference.

I have looked physically at the speakers and they look fine, but I have not checked if they are receiving power. I will look into what tools I will need and see if this makes a difference.
This is how I determine which speaker is which when I run wiring in the car, it should also let you know if the speaker is functional: Get something that can output through a headphone jack, like an old iPod (phone w/headphone jack, portable CD player, walkman, anything will do). Get a headphone jack to RCA wire. Get 2 wires- tape one to the inside pin (this is positive) tape one to the outside collar (negative). You can also just butcher old headphones/earbuds. Connect your new positive and negative wires to the speaker leads. Play some music on your device. If it comes through, something is messed up before the speakers. If it does not, time for new speakers.
Fishieboy (05-05-24)
Old 05-05-24, 06:16 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Another issue that happens to many is connectors not completely seated. It could be that you or the previous owner may have done this. It’s highly unlikely that multiple speakers are bad at the same time.
Fishieboy (05-05-24)
Old 05-05-24, 09:20 AM
Fishieboy
3rd Gear

Thanks again for the replies. I also feel it is unlikely that all of the speakers are bad at the same time. However, I just bought the car and it came like this, so there is no telling what the previous owner did. I will still test the speakers and see what happens.

Also a good idea to reach out to United Radio since they seem to be one of the experts in this space.

Swfla, when you say the connectors may not be seated are you referring to the connectors to the speakers themselves, to the amplifier, or something else?
Old 05-05-24, 02:23 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Since you have no idea what the previous owner may have done, it could be any connectors. But I’d try reseating at the amp, and at the back of the head unit. Probably not at the individual speakers. Many times members report poorly seated or disconnected plugs.
Fishieboy (05-06-24)
Old 05-06-24, 07:07 AM
jmcraney

Received 257 Likes on 197 Posts

Seems like I remember that each source has its own equalizer settings. I no longer have an LS460 and my memory is about gone too. I know someone will tell us quickly.
Fishieboy (05-06-24)
Old 05-06-24, 07:11 AM
Vtallysx4
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by jmcraney
Seems like I remember that each source has its own equalizer settings. I no longer have an LS460 and my memory is about gone too. I know someone will tell us quickly.
Yes I recall the same- each source allows you to customize settings specific to that source.
The following 2 users liked this post by Vtallysx4:
Fishieboy (05-06-24), jmcraney (05-06-24)