IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

ML sound system upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-16, 01:02 PM
LeeJonah
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default ML sound system upgrade

Hey i have the ML sound system in my is 350, but was wondering if it is possible to get more bass. Was wondering if id be possible to just upgrade the door speakers for better bass? or would that cause of problem with the ML Amps and wiring. Not too familiar with how wiring and everything works so please help me out!
Old 08-25-16, 01:33 PM
3ISRC
Intermediate

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by LeeJonah
Hey i have the ML sound system in my is 350, but was wondering if it is possible to get more bass. Was wondering if id be possible to just upgrade the door speakers for better bass? or would that cause of problem with the ML Amps and wiring. Not too familiar with how wiring and everything works so please help me out!
You can probably upgrade just the speakers and get a slight improvement in sound quality and possibly more bass. But I doubt it will be that big of a improvement without changing the head unit and or amplifier. You can add better speakers that can handle more power but if you don't change what's supplying the power it won't be much of an improvement. You will most likely get speakers that can handle more power than stock speakers so it should not cause problems with the existing amplifier.

If I was you I would leave the stock speakers as is (since they already sound great) and see if the stock head unit can support another amplifier that you can add along with a subwoofer. If not, there is not much you can do other than replacing the head unit and adding new amplifier and speakers/subs.

This is just my opinion based on my experience upgrading the audio system in previous cars. I do not have any experience upgrading the system in the IS. I'm quite content and surprised how great the ML audio system sounds on mine.

Last edited by 3ISRC; 08-25-16 at 01:39 PM.
Old 08-25-16, 01:49 PM
LeeJonah
Driver

Originally Posted by 3ISRC
You can probably upgrade just the speakers and get a slight improvement in sound quality and possibly more bass. But I doubt it will be that big of a improvement without changing the head unit and or amplifier. You can add better speakers that can handle more power but if you don't change what's supplying the power it won't be much of an improvement. You will most likely get speakers that can handle more power than stock speakers so it should not cause problems with the existing amplifier.

If I was you I would leave the stock speakers as is (since they already sound great) and see if the stock head unit can support another amplifier that you can add along with a subwoofer. If not, there is not much you can do other than replacing the head unit and adding new amplifier and speakers/subs.

This is just my opinion based on my experience upgrading the audio system in previous cars. I do not have any experience upgrading the system in the IS. I'm quite content and surprised how great the ML audio system sounds on mine.

Yeah i don't mind the ML system at all, its just that after i sat in my friends RC with ML it made me question the quality of my ML system. His sounded a lot deeper and overall a better experience but shouldn't our audio system be the same since they're both ML?
Old 08-25-16, 01:52 PM
3ISRC
Intermediate

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts

They should be close but not knowing the specs and the amount of speakers on each I'm not sure. Have you tried tweaking the audio settings (equalizer) as well as the source of the music (e.g. if you are using your phone)? I know I had to do this to achieve the sound quality that I like.

Originally Posted by LeeJonah
Yeah i don't mind the ML system at all, its just that after i sat in my friends RC with ML it made me question the quality of my ML system. His sounded a lot deeper and overall a better experience but shouldn't our audio system be the same since they're both ML?
Old 08-25-16, 01:55 PM
LeeJonah
Driver

Originally Posted by 3ISRC
They should be close but not knowing the specs and the amount of speakers on each I'm not sure. Have you tried tweaking the audio settings (equalizer) as well as the source of the music (e.g. if you are using your phone)? I know I had to do this to achieve the sound quality that I like.
Yeah, i even had my friend set his audio settings into my car, still sounded a lot different. Made me question if i blew a speaker.
Old 08-25-16, 01:58 PM
brendanf
Advanced

Received 148 Likes on 90 Posts

The easiest way to get more bass is to install a line converter and add a new amp and new sub to your car.

If you search for amplifier wiring you will find a thread here that goes through doing this.