200k Club

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-19, 05:36 PM
JoeBlob
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Soarer209
Anyone with 200k run a turbo kit??
Not currently but once I get my suspension bushings changed out and fab a new exhaust system I'm looking at either a supercharger or some nitrous
Old 05-03-19, 11:25 PM
Soarer209
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeBlob
Not currently but once I get my suspension bushings changed out and fab a new exhaust system I'm looking at either a supercharger or some nitrous
what if it’s auto transmission ?
Old 05-05-19, 10:41 PM
JoeBlob
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Soarer209
what if it’s auto transmission ?
I have a 400 so it is an auto. Leaning towards nitrous for the simplicity of install and being able to drive it like a normal NA car the 99% of the time when I only need the standard power when i floor it lol. Will probably install a shift kit and a bigger trans cooler but I'm not worried about the Auto surviving I doubt I'll exceed a 150shot and will probably be running 100. Nitrous kits are awfully common on Craigslist and letgo around here
Old 05-07-19, 11:38 AM
arnoldgwyn
Driver School Candidate

Hi All,
In 2014 I inherited a 93 SC400 with 254k miles from my sister-in-law. My brother bought it brand spanking new in May 1993 for close to $60k!!!. He took pretty good care of it, but he was also a car enthusiast and loved to push it hard. From what i see in the records folder he left behind, he took it in for regular check ups and maintenance. I've always admired this car from a distance. He was talking about giving it to me a couple of years ago, but kept changing his mind and wanted to hold on to it some more.

He had recently passed away from cancer at 52 after a two year battle, leaving behind a young wife and four daughters. The SF Bay Area Air Quality agency sent his wife a letter offering to buy it from her for $1000 so they could scrap it. It's cosmetically sound, never been in an accident, just some door dings. She offered it up to the family and I jumped at it. Had to tow it nearly 400 miles to it's new home, but well worth the effort. I never thought I would acquire the car this way, so it is very bitter-sweet. I really miss my brother, who taught me so much about the things I love in life, cars in particular. RIP bro. I'll take really good care of your first "baby".

I'm here to learn and hopefully share some diy tips.

Update

5/7/2019: Five years later I still have this car, but may have to give it up due to limited parking space, so I am looking for reasons why I should keep this car. I've barely driven it, maybe 1000 miles in that time, but never left idle for more than a few weeks at a time. The longest trip was two years ago, a 300 miles round trip on rural roads averaging 70 mph and it drove beautifully. I always try to dive it around the block every so often. Early on when acquiring the car in 2014, I did the following myself: re-soldered instrument gauge needles with new micro LEDs (they were all out when I got the car), soldered climate control display with new LEDs (this also went out when I got it), replaced all dash and console lights with LEDs, replaced all four wheel bearings, replaced steering rack bushings (this fixed loose and misaligned steering wheel). The only thing done by a mechanic was to replace the power steering rack due to leaking when I first got the car.

Here's a link to pictures of when I first got the car and towed it to my home from SF to LA: https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...kE?usp=sharing . It was my brother's daily driver for the entire 20 years he owned it, so I only towed it because I didn't want to add mileage to it, and I was on vacation with my family using our Ford Econoline.

Now my dilemma: I am moving and need to decide if I want to keep it, due to limited parking space. Please send me your thoughts on why I should keep it, other than nostalgic reasons. My daily driver is a 1993 Honda civic del sol with 200k miles and still going strong, giving me 35 freeway mpg, so I do not want to use the sc400 as a daily driver. If it helps, I am a weekend garage warrior and not afraid to tackle any car repairs and have done two successful engine swaps on honda civics.
Please convince me why I should keep the SC400.

And if I should get rid of it, how? to whom? Should I sell it or give it someone who really appreciates it? Where I live in central Texas, my guess is that it would probably only sell for no more than $1000-$1500.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-07-19, 12:52 PM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Received 1,197 Likes on 830 Posts

Originally Posted by arnoldgwyn
Hi All,
In 2014 I inherited a 93 SC400 with 254k miles from my sister-in-law. My brother bought it brand spanking new in May 1993 for close to $60k!!!. He took pretty good care of it, but he was also a car enthusiast and loved to push it hard. From what i see in the records folder he left behind, he took it in for regular check ups and maintenance. I've always admired this car from a distance. He was talking about giving it to me a couple of years ago, but kept changing his mind and wanted to hold on to it some more.

He had recently passed away from cancer at 52 after a two year battle, leaving behind a young wife and four daughters. The SF Bay Area Air Quality agency sent his wife a letter offering to buy it from her for $1000 so they could scrap it. It's cosmetically sound, never been in an accident, just some door dings. She offered it up to the family and I jumped at it. Had to tow it nearly 400 miles to it's new home, but well worth the effort. I never thought I would acquire the car this way, so it is very bitter-sweet. I really miss my brother, who taught me so much about the things I love in life, cars in particular. RIP bro. I'll take really good care of your first "baby".

I'm here to learn and hopefully share some diy tips.

Update

5/7/2019: Five years later I still have this car, but may have to give it up due to limited parking space, so I am looking for reasons why I should keep this car. I've barely driven it, maybe 1000 miles in that time, but never left idle for more than a few weeks at a time. The longest trip was two years ago, a 300 miles round trip on rural roads averaging 70 mph and it drove beautifully. I always try to dive it around the block every so often. Early on when acquiring the car in 2014, I did the following myself: re-soldered instrument gauge needles with new micro LEDs (they were all out when I got the car), soldered climate control display with new LEDs (this also went out when I got it), replaced all dash and console lights with LEDs, replaced all four wheel bearings, replaced steering rack bushings (this fixed loose and misaligned steering wheel). The only thing done by a mechanic was to replace the power steering rack due to leaking when I first got the car.

Here's a link to pictures of when I first got the car and towed it to my home from SF to LA: https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...kE?usp=sharing . It was my brother's daily driver for the entire 20 years he owned it, so I only towed it because I didn't want to add mileage to it, and I was on vacation with my family using our Ford Econoline.

Now my dilemma: I am moving and need to decide if I want to keep it, due to limited parking space. Please send me your thoughts on why I should keep it, other than nostalgic reasons. My daily driver is a 1993 Honda civic del sol with 200k miles and still going strong, giving me 35 freeway mpg, so I do not want to use the sc400 as a daily driver. If it helps, I am a weekend garage warrior and not afraid to tackle any car repairs and have done two successful engine swaps on honda civics.

And if I should get rid of it, how? to whom? Should I sell it or give it someone who really appreciates it? Where I live in central Texas, my guess is that it would probably only sell for no more than $1000-$1500.

Thanks in advance.

So sorry to hear about your brother's early passing. To be honest, I don't know if I could ever let a car like this go under the circumstances. However, I understand your dilemma and respect the fact that nostalgia aside, sometimes we simply can't justify keeping something as space consuming as a car sitting around. For what that car is worth, you'll never find anything to replace it that will give you the same driving experience and pleasure (let alone the joy of having it owned by your late brother). If you do decide to sell it, I'd recommend doing so carefully and making sure that it finds its way into the hands of someone who will cherish it as both you and your brother have. Whether that be a fellow SC enthusiast, or perhaps a kid just learning to drive/wrench on/and maintain a car for the first time. My first car was a Honda Civic Si and I guarantee there were very few that ever loved a Civic (or maybe any car) more than I did that thing. I'll never forget it and all of the lessons it taught me. If it could be that for another young enthusiast, I think that's the best thing this car could become.

Best of luck and I hope this car ends up in great hands if you don't decide to keep it!
Old 05-07-19, 05:35 PM
MoogieBoogie
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Update

Thanks in advance.
I would keep it if you can. There's a lot of nostalgia behind the car - something that nobody else will have. To the next buyer, the car will be a $1000 car. It will treated like a $1,000 car. When that person gets sick of it, they'll sell it to someone who will likely treat it the same or worse. A buyer will just nod and agree that they will take care of it, but who knows what they'll actually do. Life events could cause them to break that agreement, even if they truly tried to honor it.

Then again, you're speaking to someone who has cars parked in 4 different locations and shells out thousands annually in parking fees.. all for nostalgia.
Old 05-10-19, 06:51 PM
arnoldgwyn
Driver School Candidate

Your love of cars for mainly nostalgia is encouraging. That would be the main reason I would keep it. If not for the low gas mileage I would be open to making it my daily driver (45 miles one way, all freeway) as it is much more comfortable than my del sol, which I'd have to get rid of, however, due to limited space. hmm...
Old 05-10-19, 06:54 PM
arnoldgwyn
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, I am still in love with my first car, a 1975 toyota celica coupe. I had wanted to keep it after it overheated during college. For the longest time I had dreamed of fixing one up. Maybe some day.
Old 05-15-19, 08:51 AM
Dokuji
Rookie

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Your love of cars for mainly nostalgia is encouraging. That would be the main reason I would keep it. If not for the low gas mileage I would be open to making it my daily driver (45 miles one way, all freeway) as it is much more comfortable than my del sol, which I'd have to get rid of, however, due to limited space. hmm...
Screw the del sol. Keep the SC. drive it til it needs a new motor. Your brother would be proud to see you swap one in and keep the beast alive
Old 05-16-19, 08:59 AM
arnoldgwyn
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the vote for the SC. I was just about to ask for opinions on whether I should keep the 200k miles 93 del sol si, or the 93 sc400 with 256k. Ironically, the del sol was a direct hand-me-down from the same brother nearly 17 years ago. That was his other car that he rarely drove. He gave it to me at 100k miles. Which would last longer as a daily driver? a 200k 1.6 honda engine or a 256k miles Toyota V8? Any other advice?
Old 05-16-19, 10:17 AM
Dokuji
Rookie

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Ah i see. well, which one is more fun to drive and more comfortable to be in?? and better looking?
Old 05-16-19, 10:42 AM
arnoldgwyn
Driver School Candidate

the del sol is more fun as it's lighter, peppier, but definitely the lexus is more comfortable and better looking. Believe it or not the lexus is a bit cheaper to insure as well. Of course gas mileage goes to the del sol.