SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Happy thoughts on the Lexus SC

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-01, 08:58 AM
Whitmanpc1
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Happy thoughts on the Lexus SC

Hello everyone! I haven't posted in a while but have been reading.

I find it interesting and cool how we'all visualize each other in this forum...personalities, attitude, sanity, etc.

One thing I'd like to figure out is: Is anyone in this forum planning on keeping their SC for life?

I sure do, and mine is a 1993. Sure, I really would LOVE to have a '98 (isn't that the 5 speed automatic?), and how wonderful would it be to have a 2000? mmm...didn't those ones come with HIDs?

As I lust after a newer model, I realize that is not really what I want (given I won't afford it). I'm fortunate in that I have owned this car since 40,000 miles. After about 80,000 miles of driving, this darn thing feels so new! It's better than any new car I've test driven, although I haven't test driven any high end cars...

Also, anyone out there with an older model who IS going to trade up to a 98+ with low miles? Perhaps one you're going to keep forever?

It seems now is the ideal time to be thinking about buying one IF you are like me (want it for life). You can pick one up with as little "wear and tear" as possible (the best you can afford) and then baby it like I do.

Of course, I do get a kick out of the guys who mod the heck out of their cars...then DYNO them (whatever that is...lol). ComputerWiz-I have such an animated visual of you, your personality, and your penchant for change..lol. Sounds like you could take a picture of your car each day for a year, play it like frames of a movie, and see dozens of changes!!

More than a kick, envy. It is SO GREAT to possess the knowledge and have the resources to perform these improvements. I listen to some of the simple mods (cold air intake) and think "how cool/interesting!", and read intently whenever someone talks about supercharging, turboing, whatever to their SCs.

Well happy holidays all!
Old 12-18-01, 09:48 AM
mjames08
Pole Position

Default ...

I am planning on keeping my SC for at least 5 years.. It is a '93 with over 100k miles on it, but I have a 2 year warranty and I figure if anything major is going to happen, it will happen soon Just had the alternator and power steering pump replaced last week.. I am hoping to repaint the SC within the next year, and change the emblems to chrome instead of gold, polish the headlights, and my new stereo is getting installed right now!! Eclipse CD receiver and under it an Eclipse 6 disk in-dash changer.. should look sweet! So, yes I do plan on keeping my SC as long as possible!!
Old 12-18-01, 10:02 AM
YuuDawg
Driver

Talking

i'm keeping mine for life, that's for sure
i have a '96 and have had it since about 46k too
i'm also planning on owning a few more SC's down the line
Old 12-18-01, 10:46 AM
Red93sc400
Pole Position

For life.... is a long time in car years.
If I had one car back... perhaps it would have been my 1973 Jensen Interceptor with the Hemi engine and B&M Hydrostick. That car would pass anything on the road.... except a gas station.

The SC 400 (1993) for me is a great car. Super smooth accelerator and built really well. Knock on wood it is dependable as heck too. I will probably upgrade it some time down the line for a similar 1998 or 99 that was babied like RED93SC4000 was.

I think that some of these units will be coming off of 3 year lease soon. Keeping in touch with the Lexus sales manager is key. The Lexus service reps in the Lexus dealership also know who has the babied SC's....

The problem is... what to do with REDSC400 when that time comes. My son just turned 15 so in one thin year he will be driving. The SC will KILL ME as far as insurance goes for him. Also it is perhaps too quick a car to unleash upon a new driver.

These are all future options.... but the bottom line is... at the end of the day will I be driving an SC? Yes, indeed. (as visions of an Absolutly Rec SC430 dances in his head).
Old 12-18-01, 11:20 AM
relapse
Rookie

i have a 93 sc300 and im getting rid of it within a week.. i havent had any trouble or anything...

im just getting a 2002 vw gti 1.8t..

my next car will most def. be an sc300...
i dont have the resources right now to do what i want to the sc... and in a few years, (With the pitiful resale value of the sc) finding one will be more affordable.

plus, the gti's own
Old 12-18-01, 11:35 AM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

relapse, you'll be looking again at the end of the warranty

I'm going to keep my car for a very long time.. I was gonna sell it but now I've got all the power I was missing. I was thinking Supra Turbo, but now I'm going to keep it. I imagine I'll eventually get the car repainted, and continue improving it. I suppose the car will go some way, but it wont be by my choice.
Old 12-18-01, 07:15 PM
machinegt
Pole Position

For Life!

Especially since they stopped making them.

One thing cool to notice is, look at pictures of cars way back in the day (1992) and compare their body styles to that of the SC, its amazing how ugly other cars were at the time!
(except for the dodge viper)

the SC is definately a collector's item.