Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

My widebody 98 SC400

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-14, 05:39 PM
PiXEL
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post My widebody 98 SC400

Hello everyone. I've been lurking on here for quite some time now so i figured i'd make a build thread to track the progress of my car a little better.
I bought my SC400 in October of 2012 from a lady in Denton Texas just outside Dallas who had recently passed away and her husband and son were selling the car. The car only had 72k miles and if i remember correctly was the lowest mileage SC for sale in the country at the time except for a 99 with 68k. The final price paid was 10,500 (pricey for an SC yes but i think i saved some money in the long run with such low miles on it) and it was driven back to Houston.

We had some issues driving back however. The car i guess had a leak of some sort and had dripped onto the alternator. we made it about 3/4ths of the way until we ran out of battery and pulled over and diagnosed the problem. new battery fully charged was purchased and car was run the rest of the way home (~80 miles) on just battery without the alternator in, and thats the end of the buying of the car

fast forward to december 2012. I was really into stance at the time (not that im not into it anymore now, but less so) and the first purchase made for the car was a set of KSport Kontrol Pro's. Excellent suspension and purchased for 1000.

ill post the finished pictures now to show the end result. Keep in mind these pictures are skipping any 'story line' posts. If the car doesn't have GTR wheels, it is a story line post. Sorry for the confusion

suggestions, feedback, etc. is greatly appreciated.
All body work was done by ICAR Houston located in katy texas. they got me one hell of a deal for the paint and body work, and as we all know it is no small task to get an ED kit to fit good. (did i mention its an ED widebody?)

Last edited by PiXEL; 02-26-15 at 05:19 PM.
Old 01-31-14, 06:21 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

I think it looks great!

When I first started reading I thought you were nuts even thinking about putting a widebody on such a clean and low mile SC. The end result looks awesome though.

Are those GTR wheels?

Only thing I would change immediately are the eBay headlights and taillights and replace them with clean factory ones.
Old 01-31-14, 08:48 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ what he said. Why put so much work into a car then slap on some cheap lights? Get rid of those and you'll have a nice rare widebody vvt-i 400!
Old 01-31-14, 10:26 PM
myLEXsc400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

^X3

Then its perfect!
Old 01-31-14, 10:38 PM
GZZ-TT
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

kit looks good, lights look bad

Last edited by GZZ-TT; 01-15-16 at 12:31 AM.
Old 02-01-14, 12:40 AM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice start so far. Just needs much more aggressive wheels or 30mm spacers.
Old 02-01-14, 02:53 AM
TonyFrench
Rookie

So beautiful !!!
Old 02-01-14, 07:52 AM
Slid3ways
Driver School Candidate

Clean man. kinda a crazy price to buy it low miles or not. (Even paying for an engine rebuild and buying one for 2kwould be half of what you paid). Either way nice car. Same comment about lights but no biggie.
Old 02-01-14, 11:15 AM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Congrats on the pickup! Looks good, and as others have already stated...headlights and tail lights would look better with the stock sets? On a side note, I'm sort of diggin the G35 wheels?

steve

Last edited by lilSCsteve; 10-26-14 at 06:53 AM.
Old 02-01-14, 01:32 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Slid3ways
Clean man. kinda a crazy price to buy it low miles or not. (Even paying for an engine rebuild and buying one for 2kwould be half of what you paid). Either way nice car. Same comment about lights but no biggie.
I dont think thats a crazy price at all. For a mint car with 78k miles $10.5K is very reasonable imo. I paid $9500 for my old '99 with 95k on it. Biggest selling point for me was that the maintenace was kept up to date and it was in better shape than my '99 now with 80k (and if I was to sell it I'd be asking a bit more than $10k as well).
If you buy a high mileage SC for $2k and hope that a rebuilt engine is the cure to all your problems then you're kidding yourself. You'll be spending another $5k trying to replace all the worn leather, bushings, suspension, etc etc (list goes on). All you'll have then is a nice $10k car with high mileage.
There's a lot to be said for a well kept low mileage car
Old 02-01-14, 04:25 PM
babowc
Driver

Not sure why buy such a clean car to rice out..
Old 02-01-14, 06:19 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
I think it looks great!

When I first started reading I thought you were nuts even thinking about putting a widebody on such a clean and low mile SC. The end result looks awesome though.

Are those GTR wheels?

Only thing I would change immediately are the eBay headlights and taillights and replace them with clean factory ones.
Originally Posted by UZZ-TT
If you've been lurking, have you not noticed the distain for Ebay crap lights by basically everyone on the SC forum??

Your build would be amazing with the factory taillights swapped back in, and some clean factory headlights. It completely CHEAPENS the whole build by using Ebay circle taillights and headlights... It screams knock-off, and secretly you have many people who are snickering at those ricer junk lights. Don't mean to be rude at all, but telling you like it is, because you need to know-- and the rest of your exterior looks GREAT! Even the GT-R rims fit nicely enough!

Step into 2014 by changing your lights back to some legitimate originals. The car Gods will smile down upon you.

*Side note, you could leave the high beam projectors and it'd be ok by most peoples "standards"- (and you wouldn't have to remove the bumper(- but then please swap the clear lenses from those Ebay low beam housings you already have onto the factory inner lights which I hope you still have stored away, so it'll match and look 10x better. (*and make sure you seal them well if you do this.) But the tails especially... are ruining everything.

I'm rooting for you.

*Also, it'd look nice with some JDM bump clear corner lights.
^^^^^What these guys have said!

Plus i wouldnt have modified a low mileage clean car like that with knockoff kits and cheap ebay lights!

Its dosent look bad tho but you could of done this probably for half the price.

Should black out that chrome trim it would look sportier

Any plans for the engine?
Old 02-01-14, 06:42 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm sure you had the itch to change the factory headlights and tails, but I'm with everyone else. It would be x10 better with OEM lights.

Everything else looks great. The widebody and paint looks amazing in the pics.
Old 02-01-14, 06:57 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

The tails aint bad... And great job. Paint and the ed kit look good!
Old 02-01-14, 07:38 PM
Slid3ways
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by scENFORCER
I dont think thats a crazy price at all. For a mint car with 78k miles $10.5K is very reasonable imo. I paid $9500 for my old '99 with 95k on it. Biggest selling point for me was that the maintenace was kept up to date and it was in better shape than my '99 now with 80k (and if I was to sell it I'd be asking a bit more than $10k as well).
If you buy a high mileage SC for $2k and hope that a rebuilt engine is the cure to all your problems then you're kidding yourself. You'll be spending another $5k trying to replace all the worn leather, bushings, suspension, etc etc (list goes on). All you'll have then is a nice $10k car with high mileage.
There's a lot to be said for a well kept low mileage car
I bought an 800 dollar sc . I dont disagree about maint dates, and a well kept low mile car. But id still rather put my work into and apend less.

I will be posting my build here soon in about a month (as long as i can make a deciaion on wheels and a couple more pieces can be found. I bought my sc3 for 800. Was two colors, no rear seats or passenger. Tons of oil leaks, a failing torque converter. But everything else works fine. 176k

In under 6k my build is complete (this includes boost *except ems*, and 5spd conversion) so add another 2k between wheels and the standalone im buying. 9k build restored, boosted and manual. Im stoked to post it.

Quick Reply: My widebody 98 SC400