Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Is Toyota's quality-control slipping?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-17, 11:25 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

I get Kia rentals all the time. Many are brand new with a hundred miles on them. You can’t convince me it has higher quality than the Lexus I drive. Haha. 35k HARD miles and not a single rattle on my Is350. Amazing quality.
Old 09-23-17, 11:51 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

2007 4Runner V8. No rattles and no warranty repairs. Had it 3.5 years, 65k miles.
V8 4Runner? Strange, never heard of it.
Old 09-23-17, 11:51 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
On the same note. U.S. News & World Report (which compiles information and data from a variety of sources) says the Avalon's interior is "premium and high tech". It received a higher score than the ES. It seems there are no glaring issues with the interior, but as often discussed it's an area that's highly subjective and there will never be agreement. Personally, if I were I the market for an Avalon the interior quality would not be an issue at all.
Thanks. Did not know that this website existed. I just looked at it. The 2013 said that the pros were a well built upscale interior. So I am not buying the argument that the 2013 interior was poorly done. No evidence has been provided to support that. So, I just looked at that website for the large cars:

Some of the comments from the site about the Avalon:
From upscale materials and handsome styling to spacious seats, it has one of the best cabins in the class.
a premium cabin with comfortable, supportive seats and plenty of room

#1. Toyota Avalon
#2. Toyota Avalon Hybrid
#3. Buick Lacrosse
#4. Nissan Maxima
#5. Chevrolet Impala

From what I posted above, I really don't see how the title of this thread makes any sense.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 09-23-17 at 12:25 PM.
Old 09-23-17, 11:55 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bagwell
I have a 4Runner with a V8. Only available for the one generation.
Old 09-23-17, 12:09 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,610 Likes on 1,026 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
Shame they don't make them anymore. It was a great vehicle.

Old 09-23-17, 01:43 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDR76
Shame they don't make them anymore. It was a great vehicle.

It is too bad. My parents would of paid a premium for a V8 4Runner back in 2015.
Old 09-23-17, 02:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 86 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
It is too bad. My parents would of paid a premium for a V8 4Runner back in 2015.
With the power that many of today's V6s make, does it really need a V8? MeThinks probably not.
Old 09-23-17, 02:54 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
With the power that many of today's V6s make, does it really need a V8? MeThinks probably not.
The 4Runner has an aging 4.0L V6 mated to an 5-Speed Auto. 270hp and 278lbft in a truck that weighs 4400-4800lbs.. MeThinks probably.
Old 09-23-17, 03:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
The 4Runner has an aging 4.0L V6 mated to an 5-Speed Auto. 270hp and 278lbft in a truck that weighs 4400-4800lbs.. MeThinks probably.
Still, given that 4Runners typically run 200 and even 300K miles more without major drivetrain problems (it's one of the most reliable SUVs on the market), MeThinks the 4.0L V6 is not terribly over-stressed.

I'm not saying it shouldn't necessarily have a V8 option. I'm just questioning if it needs one.
Old 09-23-17, 03:17 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Thanks. Did not know that this website existed. I just looked at it. The 2013 said that the pros were a well built upscale interior. So I am not buying the argument that the 2013 interior was poorly done. No evidence has been provided to support that. So, I just looked at that website for the large cars:

Some of the comments from the site about the Avalon:
From upscale materials and handsome styling to spacious seats, it has one of the best cabins in the class.
a premium cabin with comfortable, supportive seats and plenty of room

#1. Toyota Avalon
#2. Toyota Avalon Hybrid
#3. Buick Lacrosse
#4. Nissan Maxima
#5. Chevrolet Impala

From what I posted above, I really don't see how the title of this thread makes any sense.
It's a good website. I use it to get a quick look at a particular model or more info on a segment.
Old 09-23-17, 05:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

2013 Toyota Avalon
Car and Driver certainly liked it
Did you even bother to read any of the actual responses in that column? ....my guess is no. Here are two of them:

I checked out both MKZ hybrid and Avalon and the Avalon interior quality is nowhere as nice. Check out the thin doors and other places in interior and compare that to MKZ. There's no way you could conclude this is better. Yet it's priced exactly same way if you compare hybrid.

I do think seats for MKZ really need improvement. The Avalon look cheaper but overall shape is at least better.
You would think this would compare to the GS or LS460 since the Avalon is such a large vehicle, but how come the Maxima isn't in its top competition? The Maxima down here in Georgia out sells the Avalon like i said in Georgia I can not speak for anywhere else. Otherwise I've driven the new Avalon it's nice and rides smooth, but that interior is a real pain Toyota went a step forward in the exterior for the Avalon but took a big step back on the interior. I do like the fact that they have a hybrid Avalon but only 39/40? The Chevrolet Malibu and Nissan Altima(Yes I know sometimes their MPG doesn't always match) but I mean if they don't always match what the brands say then their hybrid Avalon needs improvement on the MPG, if a non-hybrid vehicle can almost match you're hybrids MPG? that to me is an area for improvement, but I don't come to bash any brand or car. I've loved the Avalon for years but come on man don't just sell us a Lexus knockoff.
Old 09-23-17, 07:57 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,311 Likes on 1,513 Posts

Funny reading about avalon here. Friend's 2015 just had one of the trunk arms break today somehow... makes a bad noise when closing, so it's going in for a fix. this is his third avalon ('10 '13 '15). This newest one is nicer inside and rides nicer than the 13 (same gen) one which was noisier, stiffer, and just not pleasant to be in, confirming what mmarshall said. The '10 was the marshmallow boat
Old 09-23-17, 09:10 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Funny reading about avalon here. Friend's 2015 just had one of the trunk arms break today somehow... makes a bad noise when closing, so it's going in for a fix. this is his third avalon ('10 '13 '15). This newest one is nicer inside and rides nicer than the 13 (same gen) one which was noisier, stiffer, and just not pleasant to be in, confirming what mmarshall said. The '10 was the marshmallow boat
I don't think anyone is arguing about the ride quality. What is of issue is interior comments which I believe I have provided proof that the interior materials of the 2013 Avalon were quite nice.

Here is an except from CR:
But there is much to like about this sedan. In fact, the interior has stepped it up, with rich materials and fine design touches. There's lots of room inside and you get a comfortable cabin for transporting full-fledged adults

Yet you said, and just not pleasant to be in

I must say that I do value your friends opinion as he as owned one.Also, the suspension has not changed, the difference is that Toyota has now added a softer riding version.
Old 09-24-17, 12:51 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 97 Posts

I've driven and owned a lot of cars in the past twenty years, and I still come back to the premium German brands creating and building the nicest, highest quality interiors. Specifically Audi, which are totally solid all around and do not show any signs of obvious cost-cutting. Having owned and tested many newer Lexus's in the past five years, I have not seen a dip in interior materials or quality control. I believe the 2007/8 Camry was knocked most for a cost-cutting interior, but the last two generations have greatly improved. Considering such a car opens in the low $20's, that's a fair deal and decent achievement. My dad's newer Hyundai Santa Fe costs more and the interior quality is several notches down from a Camry. So I'd say Toyota is actually gaining ground in this area, not falling.
While on topic, I was just in a friends new ES hybrid over the weekend for an extended trip, and was really impressed with the interior trim, colors, and layout.
Old 09-24-17, 03:13 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Having owned and tested many newer Lexus's in the past five years, I have not seen a dip in interior materials or quality control.
I agree...with Lexus interiors, it did not start in the last 5 years, but around 2006 or so. But, be clear, Lexus has always ranked very high in drivetrain durability and overall reliability....that never changed.

I believe the 2007/8 Camry was knocked most for a cost-cutting interior, but the last two generations have greatly improved.
Agreed on the latest version, but with the Camry, there was a long gradual slip from the superb 3Gen 1992-96 version to the one that you are referring to.

My dad's newer Hyundai Santa Fe costs more and the interior quality is several notches down from a Camry.
What's interesting is that, at Hyundai, Kia has noticeably overtaken it in the quality department...Kia and Genesis now rank #1 and #2 in the J.D. Power Initial Quality Survey (IQS)....which pretty much agrees with what I myself have priced in the new Kias, and my brother's experience as a Kia repeat-customer.

While on topic, I was just in a friends new ES hybrid over the weekend for an extended trip, and was really impressed with the interior trim, colors, and layout.
Yes, on the surface, the ES looks nice inside (no arguments there)....I'm just not impressed with the materials used for the door, dash, hardware, and general trim

Quick Reply: Is Toyota's quality-control slipping?