GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

5th gen gs ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-17, 02:16 PM
xeus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5th gen gs ?

Is there going to be a 5th gen gs ? We have it from the 2012 model not like the usa so it's the 6th year now is the 2018 model coming because I'm planing on getting one
Old 06-24-17, 05:26 PM
ARISTOh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

We would have seen a mule by now I doubt anything is in the making just yet. We MIGHT see a 2019 model IF Lexus decides to keep the model going. I'll be in the new M5 by then so good luck
Old 06-25-17, 02:16 PM
mrpartsman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

No way, the new LS will be replacing the GS.
Old 06-25-17, 03:45 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,610 Likes on 1,026 Posts

Yes, new GS confirmed. Should be out for MY '19.
Old 06-26-17, 02:16 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
Yes, new GS confirmed. Should be out for MY '19.
Been scouring the internet for info on this, and it's all a bunch of dodgy blogs saying "Lexus is killing it off" or "2018/2019 model with TTv6 will be available as a range topper".

I'd like to see some hard info from a trusted source. I mean, I know the Toyota Crown is still under development and as long as it exists we should get another GS, but the way the stupid SUV craze is going, sedans are starting to die off.
Old 06-27-17, 06:19 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 209 Likes on 143 Posts

So I took my '16 F-Sport in for it's first service today (5K). I managed to talk to one of the salesmen while I was there, and he specifically mentioned that the GS and GS-F are being discontinued. He said they are creating an AWD version of the ES and they will also have an ES F-Sport (#sickface).

Not sure where @JDR76 lives, but it doesn't look good for NA customers for a 5th gen GS. As bad as they are selling, it's not surprising. He said they sell 35 ESs for every 1 GS they sell.

He also showed me pictures on his phone of an ES "mule" driving around Lexington, KY (Toyota/Lexus plant is in Georgetown..15 miles north).

Last edited by jtrue28; 06-27-17 at 06:25 AM.
Old 06-27-17, 07:02 AM
TrevorTran
Driver

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by jtrue28
So I took my '16 F-Sport in for it's first service today (5K). I managed to talk to one of the salesmen while I was there, and he specifically mentioned that the GS and GS-F are being discontinued. He said they are creating an AWD version of the ES and they will also have an ES F-Sport (#sickface).

Not sure where @JDR76 lives, but it doesn't look good for NA customers for a 5th gen GS. As bad as they are selling, it's not surprising. He said they sell 35 ESs for every 1 GS they sell.

He also showed me pictures on his phone of an ES "mule" driving around Lexington, KY (Toyota/Lexus plant is in Georgetown..15 miles north).
If that's the case, that would make the GS a rarity going forward! Not sure how I feel about an ES F Sport though
However, given the numbers for sales between the GS and ES, it'd be a hard sell to convince Lexus to continue producing the GS if it's not as profitable as the ES.
Old 06-27-17, 07:39 AM
DystinctGS
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Dealer says to expect a new GS for 2019MY late summer next year with TTV6
Old 06-27-17, 07:59 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,610 Likes on 1,026 Posts

I would never rely on the dealer for this kind of information.

We had 3 or 4 threads about this on CL and there is more information on the Lexus Enthusiast site and forum. Lots of speculation and no confirmations of a cancellation, only confirmation by an industry insider that there is a timeline and a development code for the next gen GS. It's up to you who/what you want to believe at this point. Until there's something solid from Lexus, talks of cancellation are nothing more than rumors. Anything can happen, but we'll have to wait and see.

FYI - sales of the current gen are pretty much right on track with the previous generations of GS. Sales of the GS always fall right around the 5th or 6th model year. It's too long of a cycle for this car. The ES has pretty much always handily outsold the GS. This is not a new development at all.

On the first gen, sales fell from 19,164 the first year to just 2,044 by the fourth year.
On the second gen, sales fell from 30,622 the first year to 13,306 by the sixth year.
On the third gen, sales fell from 33,457 the first year to 7,430 by the fifth year.
On the fourth (current) gen, sales fell from 22,160 the first year to 14,878 by the fifth year.

By comparison to previous versions, the current gen GS has been much more steady in its yearly sales. And this is despite the SUV/CUV craze that the previous gens didn't have to deal with in this scale.

Last edited by JDR76; 06-27-17 at 09:17 AM.
Old 06-27-17, 09:52 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by jtrue28

A salesman does not know more then any of us for future models. Companies do not feed them secret information 2 years down the line. I have heard so much BS from car salesman that I just don't pay attention anymore. I remember a Acura salesman in 2003 saying the NSX was due next year and it would be smaller and lighter, totally wrong on every account.

Lexus needs a mid level lux sedan, there are no ways around it, they can't just drop it, and a awd ES won't fly or compete against a 5 series or E class. Instead of just giving up because they priced the GS too high, used a carryover engine, and it is not different enough fro the ES they need to just make the GS better and a bigger step over a ES, not price it so high, drop the 4cyl and hybrid, add a affordable V8 along with a new 6 cylinder, and it will sell much better.
Old 06-27-17, 11:03 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 224 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
A salesman does not know more then any of us for future models. Companies do not feed them secret information 2 years down the line. I have heard so much BS from car salesman that I just don't pay attention anymore. I remember a Acura salesman in 2003 saying the NSX was due next year and it would be smaller and lighter, totally wrong on every account.

Lexus needs a mid level lux sedan, there are no ways around it, they can't just drop it, and a awd ES won't fly or compete against a 5 series or E class. Instead of just giving up because they priced the GS too high, used a carryover engine, and it is not different enough fro the ES they need to just make the GS better and a bigger step over a ES, not price it so high, drop the 4cyl and hybrid, add a affordable V8 along with a new 6 cylinder, and it will sell much better.
The GS isn't priced too high...compared to the Germans, you'll be getting a turbo-4 for the price of the GS350. The GS was competitively priced and competed performance-wise very well against the Germans when it was released in 2012. The GS-F isn't too overpriced if you look at the discounts many people are getting on them.

Also, there is a huge difference in driving dynamics and interior material quality between the GS and ES. Most people going into the Lexus showroom aren't comparing the GS and ES since they offer different things. If someone wants additional space and comfortable/soft ride, and doesn't care much about sporty performance and handling, then they'll walk straight to the ES. The GS offers a more sporty/performance-oriented package with more refinement and features. Since the ES is based on the Toyota Avalon platform (FWD), there is no way the ES will be able to offer anything near what the GS offers, so I highly doubt they can sell a "sporty" ES to the GS customers.

I have a feeling that Lexus will release a 5th gen GS for MY2019 or 2020. Not much
development will be needed since Lexus already has stuff they can use. It will probably feature the new chassis (shorter version) of the upcoming LS. Maybe feature some aluminum or carbon fiber to decrease weight. Probably will feature the turbo-4 as the base engine, TTV6 for mid-level, updated hybrid V6 (maybe plug-in?), and range topping V8 (probably what they will slot in the upcoming LC-F). I don't see Lexus lowering the price of the GS since it already undercuts the Germans in price and offers more standard features.
The following users liked this post:
Infamous3 (06-27-17)
Old 06-27-17, 01:02 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 209 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by dchar
... there is no way the ES will be able to offer anything near what the GS offers, so I highly doubt they can sell a "sporty" ES to the GS customers...
Exactly. Having driven both now, I will never voluntarily go back to an ES. And certainly not a "sport" ES.
The following users liked this post:
TrevorTran (06-27-17)
Old 06-27-17, 04:36 PM
Infamous3
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by dchar
The GS isn't priced too high...compared to the Germans, you'll be getting a turbo-4 for the price of the GS350. The GS was competitively priced and competed performance-wise very well against the Germans when it was released in 2012. The GS-F isn't too overpriced if you look at the discounts many people are getting on them.

Also, there is a huge difference in driving dynamics and interior material quality between the GS and ES. Most people going into the Lexus showroom aren't comparing the GS and ES since they offer different things. If someone wants additional space and comfortable/soft ride, and doesn't care much about sporty performance and handling, then they'll walk straight to the ES. The GS offers a more sporty/performance-oriented package with more refinement and features. Since the ES is based on the Toyota Avalon platform (FWD), there is no way the ES will be able to offer anything near what the GS offers, so I highly doubt they can sell a "sporty" ES to the GS customers.

I have a feeling that Lexus will release a 5th gen GS for MY2019 or 2020. Not much
development will be needed since Lexus already has stuff they can use. It will probably feature the new chassis (shorter version) of the upcoming LS. Maybe feature some aluminum or carbon fiber to decrease weight. Probably will feature the turbo-4 as the base engine, TTV6 for mid-level, updated hybrid V6 (maybe plug-in?), and range topping V8 (probably what they will slot in the upcoming LC-F). I don't see Lexus lowering the price of the GS since it already undercuts the Germans in price and offers more standard features.
Agree with this 100%

People sometimes trip out when I tell them how much the GS costs but its the same if not cheaper than a 5 series/e class or a6
Old 06-27-17, 06:18 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 224 Likes on 178 Posts

On a side note...I did see an ES350 F-sport the other day while I was driving on the freeway. It was just a stock MY2013-2015 ES350 with F-sport badges on the front fenders and trunk. It made me chuckle a bit...
Old 06-28-17, 06:28 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I would rather drive a maxima or a civic than an ES. I'm not in the market for an LS. They didn't give the GS enough power, imo.