IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Nail in one of my tire!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-17, 05:40 PM
stevelifts
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Nail in one of my tire!

just saw a nail in one of my rear tire today. Nail is close to the side wall and im almost certain it cant be repaired. I have michelin pilot sports all season tires on and had it since last year, it has about 10k miles on it. Going to the tire shop first thing tomorrow morning to order the same tire and have it replaced. How much should i aim to pay for the new tire at local tire shop? I just want a ball park number. Has anyone experience this themselves?
Old 04-21-17, 05:47 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,734 Likes on 1,369 Posts

You should ask them if the tire has Road Hazard warranty. They can pro-rate the tire and you can get a new one at a discount.
Old 04-21-17, 05:57 PM
stevelifts
Driver

I will do that sir. This tire shop is near my house and it is also the tire shop i went to last year to order the tires to be put on but i declined the additional warranty they asked me to purchase but you are right they may offer a pro rate discount under the factory warranty? Ill keep you all posted
Old 04-21-17, 09:32 PM
nvbirdman
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine picked up a nail near the sidewall and the dealer said it could not be repaired. My car only had 5,000 on it. The dealer told me a new tire would cost $400. I went to an auto parts store and bought a tire repair kit for about five dollars. So far it's been fifteen thousand trouble-free miles.
Old 04-22-17, 10:01 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Never, never patch a sidewall. There's a reason shops will not repair them. You're driving on borrowed time, and if an accident occurred you'd be exposing yourself to additional liabilities.
Old 04-22-17, 10:03 AM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by stevelifts
I will do that sir. This tire shop is near my house and it is also the tire shop i went to last year to order the tires to be put on but i declined the additional warranty they asked me to purchase but you are right they may offer a pro rate discount under the factory warranty? Ill keep you all posted
post up a picture of the nail position.

ALWAYS, ALWAYS purchase road hazard protection. Most think its a scam, until they pick up a nail on the sidewall of a $300 low profile tire
Old 04-22-17, 10:20 AM
stevelifts
Driver

Originally Posted by ssmoked
post up a picture of the nail position.

ALWAYS, ALWAYS purchase road hazard protection. Most think its a scam, until they pick up a nail on the sidewall of a $300 low profile tire
my thoughts exactly now. Didnt purchase road hazard protection. My shop will sell me the michelin pilot a/s tire for wholesale price of 219$. Gonna come back to the shop monday since the warehouse is closed but my guy was able to place an order this morning.

Tire is obviously not repairable as yall can see
Old 04-22-17, 10:28 AM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by stevelifts
my thoughts exactly now. Didnt purchase road hazard protection. My shop will sell me the michelin pilot a/s tire for wholesale price of 219$. Gonna come back to the shop monday since the warehouse is closed but my guy was able to place an order this morning.

Tire is obviously not repairable as yall can see
Oh yeah that tire is dead. Check if tirerack.com sells it cheaper. Or if you have Discount Tire Store chain near you, they price match with superb customer service
Old 04-22-17, 10:35 AM
stevelifts
Driver

Originally Posted by ssmoked
Oh yeah that tire is dead. Check if tirerack.com sells it cheaper. Or if you have Discount Tire Store chain near you, they price match with superb customer service
the tire shop price matched the price on tirerack. All good. Lesson learned, will be purchasing road hazard protection on my next set of new tires :/
Old 04-22-17, 10:41 AM
AMNss
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just repaired a nail on the rear tires today. I let the shop externally patch it, since the rims will end up scratched if they try using internal patch. Before ordering a new tires try patching the tires if possible since it is still one cm away from the side wall.