SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

New SC buyer -Right Decision?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-22, 08:17 AM
Zeepak
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Imm going to look at a 2002 today or tomorrow. I have a 2007 ES350 that I hate. Im sure the SC will be an improvement in handling and acceleration.
Old 05-13-22, 08:39 AM
jrjmac1
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Just keep in mind that the SC 430 was not intended to be a sports car or drag racer. It was always intended to be and is a Grand Touring Automobile. Just keep that in mind and you won’t be disappointed. For a long distance or just a day ride, you will arrive in class, style and comfort. That’s how mine makes me feel anyway. Good luck in your search.
The following users liked this post:
Bgw70 (05-13-22)
Old 05-14-22, 12:08 AM
Studog
Driver

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Those ES numbers were always hounds in my view. They barked from day one. There were not successful in Japan - not one of the line that I can recall.

The SC is nothing like an ES. Totally different purpose-based decision. The ES is just a glorified Camry. A family workhorse.

The SC is for just you. and someone who loves what you do. If you have two hamsters, the back seats can be filled.

I always think the ES is the least special of the Lexus line. It was always a Toyo and had its roots at the Toyo factory. Some other lexus like the 200H i dislike, but its still a lexus. Its has a quality you associate with "lexus".

The SC is a vehicle in my mind, that when you get in conjures up thoughts of what is termed a "classic marque" - without the maintenance issues.

Good luck brother. As long as your expectations are modified, you will be a happy man.
Old 05-14-22, 02:02 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 434 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Studog
The SC is nothing like an ES. Totally different purpose-based decision. The ES is just a glorified Camry. A family workhorse.
My wife and I bought a new 2011 ES for her to drive. Its reliability has been nearly flawless, and it's running gear is impressive. We couldn't be happier with the ES for its intended purpose. We would like to replace it with a 2022 ES300h, but they are hard to find in the color/trim we want at the moment due to high demand and low supply.

It doesn't really make sense to compare/contrast the ES with the SC. The MSRP of my SC was over double the cost of the ES, so yes, one should expect much higher design/build quality in a SC. We have a very positive impression of our "glorified Camry," considering what we paid for it. In the end, we love both cars!
The following 2 users liked this post by Wilson2000:
Badhobz (05-15-22), JDaveSC430 (05-14-22)
Old 05-15-22, 12:41 AM
Studog
Driver

Sorry Wilson, I didnt mean to be rude. I have never had a high opinion of the ES line.

They look like camrys. Perform like camrys.

Whatever floats your boat mate. There are a host of high end Toyos that set a person apart - The Majesta Crown, the higher end "mark"s.

The SC is distinct. Who recognizes an ES? Anyway, I was originally responding to Zeepak not enjoying his ES. Commiserations to all who are unhappy with their purchase. Apologies for agreeing with Zeepak.
Old 05-15-22, 01:13 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 434 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Studog
Sorry Wilson, I didnt mean to be rude. I have never had a high opinion of the ES line. They look like camrys. Perform like camrys.
No harm/no foul Studog, and no apology necessary! I just wanted to express my ES experience. Unfortunately, America doesn't get the high-end Toyota's you identified, and most of the Toyotas we do get are made here in America, which is an issue in my book. In over 40 years of buying Toyota/Lexus vehicles, the ones made in Japan have always treated me better, quality-wise.
Old 05-16-22, 01:35 AM
Studog
Driver

Wilson ol mate, there are a host of import companies that will bring in what you want. I was going to put a list up but i reckon if you are keen you will look into it yourself.

Nothing wrong with the ES matey. I guess part of the reason dudes like me are talking SC is because there arent many of them about and they dont look like any other vehicle out there.There are a few more ES vehicles out there than a SC and the looks, and behavior are totally different.

Hell, you cant put kids in the back of an SC, and for most of us when we acquire an SC kids are almost adult size and they dont want to have much to do with you! hahahahhaha Isnt life funny.

Anyway, whatever vehicle floats your boat is the main thing. We all have opinions, but if whatever you drive makes you happy dont listen to anyone else. Only you can decide what car sets the juices running. Hell, my missus loved our IS200 though she never drove it above 100km nor went around corners at the speed of light. I did all that without her knowledge! And that is why I knew it was a great little thing. The leather wrapped steering wheel, the 6 stack CD system and sunroof with that engine tone that went from silent to racing over 4krpm were all gold. hahahahha

Hell, I am driving a 1997 toyo hilux surf that I have driven all over Nippon and Oz. It gets better mileage than the current rivals and can go offroad at the drop of a hat. Plus, I can throw the surfboards or the bicylces and dogs in the back and not care what damage they do.

Ultility is probably the word i am looking for. And we all have different ideas of what that entails.

My fondest memories of CA? Being picked up at LAX by a friend of my yank gf of the time who had two large maccas foam cups in the drink holders filled with coke and scotch for me and bourbon for him. Didnt know wtf bourbon was. Surfing big rock in San diego smashing beers with Billy idol.

Yanks were just awesome to us aussies in those days. The pinnacle of humanity..Though, we did love to whoop your a$5ses at swimming. Now you poor buggers have been reduced to our level. I have a few of hundred liters of fuel stored given what is happening over there. Food for thought.

Sorry for the aimless rant gentlemen.
Old 05-16-22, 06:22 AM
tmakogon
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by oneround
"hire someone to follow with your luggage in their car”
Trunk is large enough to carry a standard set of three suitcases: large, medium and carryon. Picture proof