Trunk / Storage area

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-12, 03:02 AM
terrymate
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Trunk / Storage area

Dear all,

I'm a happy owner of the Lexus sc 430 (2009 model). I have one problem and need your advice. Am I allowed to put anything in the storage/trunk area? I was told that by putting anything it might damage the roof-top of the car? Actually, when I bought the car, I did put some things, when I tried to open the roof, it got stuck and then I later read the guide/booklet and learnt I'm not suppose to put anything as it would damage the roof top. So my question:

1) How and where can I put storage ? obviouslty the trunk, but how and in what manner? Is it above the cover inside the trunk?

2) What kind of things can I put if that is ok.

3) When should I not store things in the trunk.

Thank you for advice.
Old 08-10-12, 03:55 AM
jeffwingo
Driver School Candidate

There is a cover that, when put in place Allows the roof to open. Never place anything on the cover. You can place whatever in the open space between the cover and the opening. If you need more space, you can retract the cover, which disables the top from opening. It's all in the manual.
Old 08-10-12, 05:08 AM
terrymate
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for the response.

1) Does this mean I can put whatever I wish under the cover (on the space below it) even if I wish to open the roof top? so opening roof top and things inside is ok?

2) Does the cover (like the button inside the drawers where manual is kept) controls to allow opening the roof top or not? i.e. if cover retracted, the roof will be disabled automatically?

3) Do you have a photo of the cover so I'm rest assured that we are talking about the same cover on the trunk?
Old 08-10-12, 06:54 AM
R40
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by terrymate
Thank you for the response.

1) Does this mean I can put whatever I wish under the cover (on the space below it) even if I wish to open the roof top? so opening roof top and things inside is ok?

2) Does the cover (like the button inside the drawers where manual is kept) controls to allow opening the roof top or not? i.e. if cover retracted, the roof will be disabled automatically?

3) Do you have a photo of the cover so I'm rest assured that we are talking about the same cover on the trunk?
1. yes, but not ever on top of the cover

2. yes, cover retracted means roof will not open

3. there is only one retractable cover as in this pic:

in this pic the cover is retracted so the roof wont open:

and finally pic with roof in the boot (as we in the UK know the 'trunk'!) - as you can see the area above the cover is needed for the roof to go into

Old 08-10-12, 07:50 AM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

Great photos...but to be clear ...the retractable tonneau cover is a guide to show you where the sliding roof will be when it retracts into trunk. You should never put anything on top of it. When the cover is fully retracted into its holder, the sliding roof will not retract into the trunk.
When the tonneau cover is extened and seated in the holder you can put anything that fits under it as long as it does not cross or protrude into the various planes of the cover. The actual switch which stops the roof is in the post which receives the cover and holds it in place. The cover has three purposes; it shows you where the roof is going to be when fully retracted into the trunk. It keeps the interior garnish pieces clean from any debris which is on the roof when it's sliding into the trunk, and it closes the switch in the post which tells the roof ECU the trunk is clear and ready to accept the sliding roof without any obstacles.
In the photos above, you can see the trunk space is severely limited IF you are carrying a spare tire. Neverttheless, if you do a search, there was a previous thread regarding custom soft sided luggage specifically designed to fit into space (without the spare tire) which will not interfere with the sliding roof.

Last edited by VVTiBob; 08-10-12 at 08:02 AM.
Old 08-10-12, 10:54 AM
terrymate
Driver School Candidate

This is excellent and I appreciate all the advice. One last question:

1) What's the best tip/advice to maximize the trunk space so I ensure I can put & store things if needed the space? Do I need to remove the tires, if so, how easily, if not, what's best way.

For the time-being, the cover is retracted so space is available.
Old 08-10-12, 06:17 PM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

Does your car have a spare tire? They are NOT standard equipment for the very reason you started this thread...they consume a large portion of the available trunk space!
Old 08-10-12, 08:48 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Terrymate,

The volume is all in the placement of what you are attempting to transport. The cover is an excellent guide to show you where you can and can't pack items in your trunk if you intend to put the top down. Obviously, if you plan on leaving the top up, there is no issue. I can't remember if it was JohnnyCake or Habious that uploaded pictures of his fully packed SC430. It was pretty impressive just how much stuff he was able to cram in his car.

The more you use it, the more tricks and cubby holes you'll learn about and learn how to use. Exploring your car is part of the adventure.
Old 08-11-12, 01:31 AM
terrymate
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the note. I would love to see a picture of a loaded trunk with things to learn the max I could put and and load on my trunk. Can someone please share?

As for the spare tires, I think it ought to be there incase of emergency right and thus I keep it in.
Old 08-11-12, 04:34 AM
Poqman
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Check out the custom fit luggage that will fit under the tonneau cover. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...for-sc430.html Fill them up, toss in the trunk, close the tonneau cover, lower the top and enjoy the ride. PS: I have a set if you want to buy. PM me for a price.

As for the spare tires, I think it ought to be there incase of emergency right and thus I keep it in.
Many of us carry a 12v compressor and/or patch kit ilo a spare. Search and you'll find info on them too. You can buy from Sewell.

Last edited by Poqman; 08-11-12 at 04:38 AM.
Old 08-11-12, 08:00 AM
tfischer

Received 194 Likes on 147 Posts

As for luggage, I have found after 10 years or so of road trips, that using canvas bags allows a huge amount of stuff to be put into the trunk. Solid suitcases do not fit into the undulating contour of the trunk and leave large spaces unusable.
Old 08-19-12, 08:10 PM
tmakogon
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Luggage in SC430 trunk (boot)

A set of three suitcases fit in SC430: large, medium and carry-on.
The medium one goes in first over the toolset, with toolset cover removed. The large one and carryon go on top.
Old 04-08-17, 05:00 AM
JMal
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default SC430 luggage cover

Hi all,

Is the luggage cover required for structural integrity? Would removing the luggage cover affect the car in any way other than roof operation? Note that a wedge will keep the roof operating without the luggage cover.
Old 04-08-17, 06:53 AM
tfischer

Received 194 Likes on 147 Posts

The "luggage cover" (that's not what it is) is not required for structural integrity. It's a piece of cloth, having neither structure nor integrity. Its function is to be a guide so that you do not have any protrusions into the space soon to be occupied by the folding roof. This could damage the roof and, in some instances, the mechanism. If you want to wedge something into the switches to override this, that's up to you, but it's not a common move to make.
The following users liked this post:
finallyayo (03-13-24)
Old 04-08-17, 02:49 PM
JMal
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thank you T. Sorry I neglected to specify I was referring to the steel square bar that houses the luggage cover which is bolted to the trunk wall. Is that steel housing of the luggage cover required for structural integrity or the like?

Quick Reply: Trunk / Storage area