SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Radio Headunit

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-19, 07:33 PM
nprest2
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Radio Headunit

I've searched the forums but was hoping to get some additional feedback from @Bgw70 and others who have completed this install.

A couple of general questions:
1. If you replace the factory headunit with an after market apple carplay/nav/radio & beatsonic, is the factory bluetooth retained or do you need a new install? Would the existing OEM microphone work with the new out of the box radio after installed or do you need to wire a separate mic?
2. Has anyone used the metro double din kit here https://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-2010-LEXUS-SC430-SINGLE-or-DOUBLE-DIN-Radio-Dash-Kit-Metra-99-8161S/202118573335?fits=Model%3ASC430%7CMake%3ALexus&hash=item2f0f34ad17:g:f2EAAOSwQS1aER86:rk:1f:0 .....looks like this one matches the chrome interior as compared to the black side panels that come with beat sonic
3. What is the best carplay unit / any considerations in make / model. The Pioneer AVH-W4400NEX seems to get good reviews and has wireless carplay capabilities
4. What happens to the OEM navigation headunit / display when you install a new carplay radio but do not setup screen mirroring (i.e. leave the wiring connection unchanged). Do the factory navigation & controls continue to work as-is?
5. Is wire splicing / advanced modification needed to be able to mirror new radio headhunit to OEM navigation screen for purposes of displaying navigation maps while vehicle is in motion or is this only needed if you are watching movies etc. In other words, can just connecting the wires (PnP) without doing anything else allow the new radio unit to mirror to navigation screen while driving?

Thanks all
Nick

Last edited by nprest2; 02-14-19 at 07:52 PM. Reason: additional question
Old 02-14-19, 09:38 PM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

1. Bluetooth is a function of the headunit. I believe it wasn’t OEM til 04 and later. Chances are the mic in the overhead was never wired. Very few cars came with the phone option. I just used the mic the new headunit and installed in the ‘A’ pillar garnish driver’s side.
2. Don’t know about the one you mentioned. I used the kit from Beatsonic( see the photo in my signature block)
3. This is a personal preference issue.
4. You can choose to mirror the new head unit display, or not. Others have used the OEM screen to play DVDs from their new head units. I chose to leave the NAV function OEM. Playing DVDs would be a violation of the Cal Vehicle Code as well as a really unsafe practice while the car is moving.
5. Mirroring is just a couple of wires.

my 2012 headunit write up and PDF document are not coming up on a search.

Last edited by VVTiBob; 02-14-19 at 10:10 PM.
Old 02-15-19, 05:02 AM
nprest2
Rookie

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
1. Bluetooth is a function of the headunit. I believe it wasn’t OEM til 04 and later. Chances are the mic in the overhead was never wired. Very few cars came with the phone option. I just used the mic the new headunit and installed in the ‘A’ pillar garnish driver’s side.
2. Don’t know about the one you mentioned. I used the kit from Beatsonic( see the photo in my signature block)
3. This is a personal preference issue.
4. You can choose to mirror the new head unit display, or not. Others have used the OEM screen to play DVDs from their new head units. I chose to leave the NAV function OEM. Playing DVDs would be a violation of the Cal Vehicle Code as well as a really unsafe practice while the car is moving.
5. Mirroring is just a couple of wires.

my 2012 headunit write up and PDF document are not coming up on a search.
thank you - just to confirm, I have a 2006 model. Did you mean Bluetooth is in the radio or in the navigation. Wondering if I just take out the existing radio if my hands free phone will still work that I setup through the Nav screen. I’m a bit worried about wiring a new mic from the picture i’ve seen on here so was hoping wherever the existing one is it would work (unless there isn’t an existing one wired somewhere).

5. I do not plan to play dvds, etc and completely agree. If I just want to mirror the navigation from applecar play from bottom to top screen I wonder if I can just connect the video out from new radio to existing headunit or if I need that video in motion modification. Wondering what nav screen will show if there is no video in motion modification
Old 02-15-19, 04:54 PM
VVTiBob

In my car, a 2002, Bluetooth exists in the new Pioneer headunit I installed. I’m not sure how it integrates in 2006 or newer. The mic in my new head unit was simple to install by routing the wire from the headunit to the A pillar garnish near to top. It works great in that position even with the top down.

Once the Search feature is fixed my 2012 Radio upgrade PDF includes photos and has a wiring/pin-out diagram for the NAV display screen.
Old 02-15-19, 06:37 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 543 Likes on 413 Posts

Originally Posted by nprest2

thank you - just to confirm, I have a 2006 model. Did you mean Bluetooth is in the radio or in the navigation. Wondering if I just take out the existing radio if my hands free phone will still work that I setup through the Nav screen. I’m a bit worried about wiring a new mic from the picture i’ve seen on here so was hoping wherever the existing one is it would work (unless there isn’t an existing one wired somewhere).

5. I do not plan to play dvds, etc and completely agree. If I just want to mirror the navigation from applecar play from bottom to top screen I wonder if I can just connect the video out from new radio to existing headunit or if I need that video in motion modification. Wondering what nav screen will show if there is no video in motion modification
I have an 07 and the OEM Bluetooth is built in the NAV unit and for phone conversation only, not for streaming musics.
To mirror your phone to your NAV, you will need Navik. The new unit is available for backup cam and also dub video.
Old 02-16-19, 07:01 AM
nprest2
Rookie

I was under the impression you could easily mirror your new radio headunit video through beatsonic on the top screen. The question was whether you will be able to see your navigation mirrored on the top screen when you are driving or if you need to cut those 2 wires to allow video in motion. I’d prefer to not cut the wires if possible

since fhe the Bluetooth phone is setup in the nav headunit vs the radio, makes me think that functionality will be retained if the radio is swapped out and beatsonic is used
Old 02-16-19, 11:10 AM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 543 Likes on 413 Posts

I don’t do mirror, in fact, I don’t even replace the stereo. I do everything with my IPhone and a Monster cassette adapter. I could be wrong but I don’t think you can Mirro y’all phone with the beat sonic.
Old 02-16-19, 01:02 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

I was under the impression you could easily mirror your new radio headunit video through beatsonic on the top screen. The question was whether you will be able to see your navigation mirrored on the top screen when you are driving or if you need to cut those 2 wires to allow video in motion. I’d prefer to not cut the wires if possible

since fhe the Bluetooth phone is setup in the nav headunit vs the radio, makes me think that functionality will be retained if the radio is swapped out and beatsonic is used
I am not aware Beatsonic will mirror to the upper screen.
you can display the backup camera and play movies on the upper screen.
beatsonic shows you how to physically connect another video connection to the upper screen AND provides the control, mode button on steering wheel, to switch the upper screen between NAV and second video input.
when the car moves it always defaults back to the NAV screen unless make the wire cut mod.

OEM Bluetooth is NOT functional once you do the Beatsonic mod...the radio takes over all controls for Bluetooth phone and music.

yes, you need to install the aftermarket mic.
very simple, IMO
took me about 30min

Last edited by Bgw70; 02-16-19 at 11:23 PM.
Old 02-16-19, 07:22 PM
nprest2
Rookie

I stand corrected, I re-watched the videos I was referring to where I mistakenly thought you can mirror the screen. Looks like they played movies on the bottom screen radio and then sent it up top to the factory nav, rather then mirroring the nav, etc.

That leads me to the question whether it is worth for me to replace the factory radio or if I should just purchase Naviks or Navtool to have carplay functionality for the top screen. That seems like a more cost effective solution since I mainly want to use googlemaps/waze without having to touch my cellphone (or mount my cellphone in car which I am not a fan of).
Old 02-18-19, 07:46 AM
VVTiBob

This thread may help you, more specifically the link to the PDF document which is too large to be posted on Club Lexus.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...-controls.html
Old 02-18-19, 08:33 PM
nprest2
Rookie

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
This thread may help you, more specifically the link to the PDF document which is too large to be posted on Club Lexus.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...-controls.html
This is great and very detailed, thank you! I definitely want to attempt this install and will likely do so in the next month or two. I think i will go with the Pioneer AVH W4400NEX w/ wireless carplay for the head unit. Wish beat sonic was $200 instead of $400+!!

Amazon Amazon
Old 02-18-19, 08:41 PM
nprest2
Rookie

Originally Posted by Bgw70

I am not aware Beatsonic will mirror to the upper screen.
you can display the backup camera and play movies on the upper screen.
beatsonic shows you how to physically connect another video connection to the upper screen AND provides the control, mode button on steering wheel, to switch the upper screen between NAV and second video input.
when the car moves it always defaults back to the NAV screen unless make the wire cut mod.

OEM Bluetooth is NOT functional once you do the Beatsonic mod...the radio takes over all controls for Bluetooth phone and music.

yes, you need to install the aftermarket mic.
very simple, IMO
took me about 30min

I re-read your installation thread and it looks like you mounted the microphone on the top dash inside of the box with homelink and interior lights and then pulled down through the arm/pillar on which convertible top rests and into the glove box? I assume you could get from glove box into the main compartment where the head unit is mounted to make the connection there?

By the way, found beat sonic for $387 from another website...is this legit? https://www.carid.com/beat-sonic/dou...n-mva-13l.html

Thank you!

Last edited by nprest2; 02-18-19 at 08:46 PM.
Old 02-19-19, 02:56 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

I re-read your installation thread and it looks like you mounted the microphone on the top dash inside of the box with homelink and interior lights and then pulled down through the arm/pillar on which convertible top rests and into the glove box? I assume you could get from glove box into the main compartment where the head unit is mounted to make the connection there?

By the way, found beat sonic for $387 from another website...is this legit? https://www.carid.com/beat-sonic/dou...n-mva-13l.html

Thank you!
you are correct on the mic installation. Two screws and two bolts hold the glovebox in place.
there is a panel underneath the glovebox, the one with the light, you just slide it down and toward the rear.
carid is a legit online store.
Old 02-22-19, 01:14 PM
rpjense
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had an installer put this Kenwood in my '03. It has NAV, Apple Carplay, Android Auto, Sirius XM, bluetooth, backup & front camera. This spring I'm having the climate control lcd updated to black background. I've kept the original Levinson equipment in a box for the next owner in case they want to keep it original. But this is one way you can update your SC without too much hassle. I just keep the NAV door closed since the new head unit already has NAV..

Old 02-22-19, 02:35 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rpjense
I had an installer put this Kenwood in my '03. It has NAV, Apple Carplay, Android Auto, Sirius XM, bluetooth, backup & front camera. This spring I'm having the climate control lcd updated to black background. I've kept the original Levinson equipment in a box for the next owner in case they want to keep it original. But this is one way you can update your SC without too much hassle. I just keep the NAV door closed since the new head unit already has NAV..
nice head unit, what interface did they use and are the steering wheel controls still functioning?

Quick Reply: Radio Headunit