Search this Thread

Old 01-07-19, 12:16 PM
Ossy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car does not rev over 3000 rpm

Hello everyone

My name is Ossy

My 2008 lexus SC430 rev’s up to 3000rpm and the engine will start shaking and it not go beyond 3000rpm. Please anyone know what could be the problem
Old 01-07-19, 12:30 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 913 Likes on 733 Posts

Originally Posted by Ossy
Hello everyone

My name is Ossy

My 2008 lexus SC430 rev’s up to 3000rpm and the engine will start shaking and it not go beyond 3000rpm. Please anyone know what could be the problem
any work done on the car recently?
how many miles?
ever change the timing belt, water pump etc, if so when?
is the check engine light on?
Old 01-07-19, 10:26 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 567 Likes on 433 Posts

We need more infos. Take the car to the mechanic. They should be able to tell you what is your problem, then come back here, we might be able too help you to fix it.
Old 01-08-19, 02:23 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 512 Likes on 428 Posts

It sounds like one of your computers are unhappy.

I would disconnect your battery for 10 minutes and reconnect it.

If I were to make a wild guess, I would say possibly your transmission is in LIMP MODE. That is a mode which will allow you to drive your car to a mechanic, but not let you get out of 2nd gear.

Or possibly, your transmission is having such a big problem, it won't let you get out of first gear.
Old 01-08-19, 03:50 PM
nomods4me
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm pretty sure that a transmission problem would still let the car rev higher
although with my transmission in "D" it never revs over 3000 anyway
Old 01-08-19, 04:38 PM
Ossy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by nomods4me
I'm pretty sure that a transmission problem would still let the car rev higher
although with my transmission in "D" it never revs over 3000 anyway
Lexus. Address

10025 SW Freeway 77074

Thursday 27th December

7:00 am

Keven Rep

Do Complete diagnostic on the entire car

My lexus rev over 3000rpm and the engine will start shaking (check)

Car does not ride smoothly (check)

Climate control system (check)

If anything is wrong with the car

Hello everyone

My name is Ossy

My 2008 lexus SC430 rev’s up to 3000rpm and the engine will start shaking

Thanks guys

Ok

I bought the car and lost the timing belt one month after, car had about 112,000 miles on it when I bought it. The timing belt and the sub head one side was replaced and since after that I have been having that problem.

The mechanic told me it was the air flow meter and we replaced it and it didn’t solve the problem. Now he is telling me it is the ECU. Not sure what to believe anymore I started looking elsewhere and I found you guys. Really appreciate the response to my concern

Old 01-08-19, 05:15 PM
Ossy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Ossy
Hello everyone

My name is Ossy

Lexus. Address

10025 SW Freeway 77074

Thursday 27th December

Keven Rep

Hello everyone

My name is Ossy

Lexus. Address

10025 SW Freeway 77074

Thursday 27th December

Keven Rep

Hello everyone

My name is Ossy

Thanks guys

Ok

I bought the car and lost the timing belt one month after, car had about 112,000 miles on it when I bought it. The timing belt and the sub head one side was replaced and since after that I have been having that problem.

The mechanic told me it was the air flow meter and we replaced it and it didn’t solve the problem. Now he is telling me it is the ECU. Not sure what to believe anymore I started looking elsewhere and I found you guys. Really appreciate the response to my concern

Note: please I am still trying to figure out how to use this site bear with me if I am not posting properly. Thanks

Thanks guys

Ok

Old 01-08-19, 07:11 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

First, you need to learn how to post. Your post is confused the heck out of me (us). Second, you said you lost the timing belt, what's happened? Was the belt snap broken? Was the engine damage?
I think your problem is related to the timing belt, its timing could be off, your cylinders are miss-fired. Do you have Techstream or know someone has Techstream? With Techstream, it could point you to the right direction.
Good luck.
Old 01-08-19, 07:12 PM
nomods4me
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Ossy - stop posting
Old 01-09-19, 01:12 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Give the guy a break! He just joined ClubLexus, so if his post are a little confusing, ask clarifying questions. Don't flame him.

The one thing everyone says about this forum is that it is civil. Don't ruin it now by jumping on people.
Old 01-09-19, 01:15 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Ossy,

Can you answer these questions to help us understand your situation better?

Does you car drive? Does it drive, but the engine shakes when you get over 3000 RPM?
Has your car ever driven properly since you owned it? Or did you buy it that way?
After the timing belt break, what have you tried other than the air flow meter?

Gman is right about having the codes. Did the dealer or your mechanic give you any trouble codes? They would most likely start with a P and have 4 numbers following them.

Last edited by DshngDaryl; 01-09-19 at 01:18 PM.
Old 01-09-19, 02:28 PM
Ossy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DshngDaryl
Give the guy a break! He just joined ClubLexus, so if his post are a little confusing, ask clarifying questions. Don't flame him.

The one thing everyone says about this forum is that it is civil. Don't ruin it now by jumping on people.
I am really sorry about my multiple posting didn’t intend to annoy anyone.

I am trying to figure out how the site works.

Is there any instructions on what button to push to post, and then follow the treads as I was just trying to see what works.

To me the SC430 is one of the most beautiful classy cars I have ever seen and I would think that anyone who appreciates the classiness of this cars has some as well because it deserves it.

Ultimately we are all here to help each other because of our common interest. I would accept private message from any one to guide me on how to post.

Once again I didn’t mean to offend anyone and if I did I am sorry. I hope this posting comes out right

Old 01-09-19, 03:09 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Your post came out good. Now can you tell us more about your problem? We’re here to help.
Old 01-09-19, 04:39 PM
Ossy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DshngDaryl

Ok
I bought the car and the mechanic opened it and found out the timing belt snapped and broke, Engine damaged: The following items was replaced,

...Timing belt. Replaced
...Engine Head (one side) Replaced
...Radiator and hoses Replaced
... Pistons Replaced
... Ring sets. Replaced
...Gaskets. Replaced

Car had about 112,000 miles on it when I bought it.
After all the repairs was done the car runs and drives fine but would start shaking violently once it reaches 3000 RPM. This happened while it was idling or driven. At this time the mechanic thought it could be the Air Flow meter and that was replaced too but it did not resolve the issue.

The mechanic is telling me now he thinks it is the ECU. Not sure what to believe anymore I started looking elsewhere and I found you guys. Really appreciate the response to my concern

Old 01-09-19, 06:07 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Ossy,
I'm so sorry this happened to you. Now we understand your problem. Let me ask you:
1. When did the job was done? Was it done by licensed mechanic?
2. Do you have any written warranty?
3. How about the valves? Did they get replaced?
It sound little funky to me because if the job was done by licensed mechanic, he must warranty his work. If he was good mechanic, he should have a code reader or diagnosis software to pinpoint the problem area.
Unless, your mechanic is unlicensed, I would pressure him to fix the problem or take him to court.
I'm not a mechanic so I can't help you much but others on this board can. I still lthink it has something to do with the timing belt. For the mean time, you can disconnect the battery, let it sit for good hour or so, hopefully it will reset the ECUs.
BGW, VitiBob, Cold, Shawn, Johnny what do you guys think?

Quick Reply: Car does not rev over 3000 rpm