SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Alternator or Battery problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-18, 10:50 AM
AustinTex
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Alternator or Battery problem

My daughters SC430 (105K miles) would not start this weekend. (it had been in the garage for 3 weeks)
Battery completely dead. I hooked up jumper cables and the car made multiple rapid clicks but would not start.
After letting the jumper cable sit for 5 minutes the car started up and we drove it over to the auto parts store for a diagnostic check since it was Sunday.
The diagnostics showed the battery and starter are fine but it got a fail on the alternator..

I called the Lexus dealer and the service tech thought it sounded like the battery not the alternator but the would need to run test first.
I was planning on seeing if it will start today when I get home..

Has anyone had this issue?
Any suggestions appreciated.
Old 10-08-18, 11:13 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 458 Likes on 384 Posts

If you want to test it yourself, watch this video

Or you can take it to an auto parts store and they will usually test your charging system for free
Old 10-08-18, 11:15 AM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 543 Likes on 413 Posts

Common problem with the SC. I would first buy the battery from Costco., If it goes dead after day or two ( with some driving) then replace the alternator. You can always return the battery.
Old 10-12-18, 09:47 AM
iamsam9
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Mr. Austin,
yes, I also had the same issue years ago.
it was the alternator on an '03 and changed it out to an aftermarket one from Toyota.
after that, the only thing I had to replace over the years was the battery.

thanks...sam
Old 10-12-18, 12:38 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by AustinTex
My daughters SC430 (105K miles) would not start this weekend. (it had been in the garage for 3 weeks)
Battery completely dead. I hooked up jumper cables and the car made multiple rapid clicks but would not start.
After letting the jumper cable sit for 5 minutes the car started up and we drove it over to the auto parts store for a diagnostic check since it was Sunday.
The diagnostics showed the battery and starter are fine but it got a fail on the alternator..

I called the Lexus dealer and the service tech thought it sounded like the battery not the alternator but the would need to run test first.
I was planning on seeing if it will start today when I get home..

Has anyone had this issue?
Any suggestions appreciated.
You said a service tech thinks it’s the battery...is this the person you speak to on the phone? If so, ignore them unless they have a mechanical background. A service tech is the person who takes your keys, directs you to the free coffee and pastries along with giving you that loaner Lexus.

its been several days, what did you do?
Old 10-14-18, 09:49 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

So had some trouble starting my car for the last two mornings. It's been pretty cold and I'm sure it had something to do with my issues. Had battery and alternator tested at AutoZone that reported it was only 82% charged and meter suggested replace battery. Luckily, it was an Interstate MTP Megatron and has a 30 month free replacement and 6 year warranty. Took it to authorized Interstate dealer who warrantied it out completely free even though I was a "little" over the 30 month date. Happy to see this company stand behind their warranty.
Old 10-14-18, 10:24 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
So had some trouble starting my car for the last two mornings. It's been pretty cold and I'm sure it had something to do with my issues. Had battery and alternator tested at AutoZone that reported it was only 82% charged and meter suggested replace battery. Luckily, it was an Interstate MTP Megatron and has a 30 month free replacement and 6 year warranty. Took it to authorized Interstate dealer who warrantied it out completely free even though I was a "little" over the 30 month date. Happy to see this company stand behind their warranty.
Good for you. I also have an Interstate. It's still going strong but I will keep it in mind for the warranty. Thanks Shawn.
Old 10-15-18, 03:06 PM
AustinTex
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

So I took the car to Firestone. They test it and say the alternator is fine.
Battery a little low but ok for now. It has been starting just fine the past week.
I might get a trickle charger if a have to let the car sit for weeks at a time. (anyone recommend a brand of trickle charger?)

The Lexus dealership did say the Lexus batteries are just Interstate batteries with a Lexus sticker slapped on it..
So I will go with an Interstate battery when time comes.\

Prices around here for an Interstate Battery is $192 (installed at Firestone)
New alternator Installed is $500 (dealership would be double)

Last edited by AustinTex; 10-15-18 at 03:16 PM.
Old 10-15-18, 04:39 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Battery a little low but ok for now. It has been starting just fine the past week.
I might get a trickle charger if a have to let the car sit for weeks at a time. (anyone recommend a brand of trickle charger?)

The Lexus dealership did say the Lexus batteries are just Interstate batteries with a Lexus sticker slapped on it..

some of our SC430s are known to drain batteries after a few days or so. I have two of these trickle chargers and very happy with the performance. They will top off the battery then maintain a good charge. It will also provide a longer life of the battery. I have one on my 2002 SC430 and the other on my 2000 Trans Am. Both are sitting more these days.
if the link doesn’t work let me know.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00068XCQU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00068XCQU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 10-16-18, 04:17 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

I use the Die Hard Battery Charger Maintainer. $42 Solid State. Auto Feature. I bought multiple connectors, I just move them from car to car. I installed a quick connector on the batteries, all I do is plug in.

Last edited by mandyfig; 10-16-18 at 04:20 AM.
Old 10-16-18, 09:40 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 458 Likes on 384 Posts

When you park your car, turn the headlights all the way off and flip the door lock with your finger (Don't use the lock button or the remote) This will lock your car without turning on your alarm. This won't solve your battery issue, but it will give you a longer time that you can let your car sit without having to jump start it.
Old 10-18-18, 04:31 PM
bgeeez
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

ive left my SC for almost two weeks and it started right up. i normally daily drive it though
Old 10-19-18, 08:52 AM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bgeeez
ive left my SC for almost two weeks and it started right up. i normally daily drive it though
If the battery is new or fairly new, two, three weeks or a month sitting is probably still OK. I would not let it sits if the battery is more than 2 years old. Battery tender is a good investment.
Old 10-19-18, 09:43 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

A battery tender is the simulation of the charging that happens if the car being used if a daily driver. Hence you get the 4 to 6 years of use for a good battery, maybe even more. The newer trickle chargers today are electronic-solid state. None of the heavy transformer type ones that normally would blast the battery with a constant voltage and current, which can negatively result in shorter lifetime of the battery. They are compact and light.