SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

JL Audio vs Hertz Component Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-18, 07:47 AM
Hwdrook
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default JL Audio vs Hertz Component Speakers

Whats up guys? Looking to upgrade my stock speakers and got quoted for both JL Audio and Hertz speaker set ups. I'm not familiar with Hertz so I wanted to ask you guys if you had any recommendations on which brand to choose. The JL's were quoted higher than the Hertz but from what I've seen and read the Hertz isn't too bad. Please let me know what you guys think, thanks.
Old 04-18-18, 12:00 PM
Neil E
Pit Crew

Received 81 Likes on 44 Posts

Both are good makes but it depends on the model of speaker or component set and what sounds best to your ears. Are they going to be run off a new amplifier or off the stock ML amp? In general terms I would choose JL Audio over Hertz. When I replaced the door components I considered JL but settled on Focal in the end and are driven by a DLS amp. Jl Audio do make very good subwoofers.
The following users liked this post:
Hwdrook (04-20-18)
Old 04-19-18, 06:40 AM
Hwdrook
Rookie

Originally Posted by Neil E
Both are good makes but it depends on the model of speaker or component set and what sounds best to your ears. Are they going to be run off a new amplifier or off the stock ML amp? In general terms I would choose JL Audio over Hertz. When I replaced the door components I considered JL but settled on Focal in the end and are driven by a DLS amp. Jl Audio do make very good subwoofers.
Well I haven't had a chance to hear the Hertz speakers for myself yet. I was going to get an 8 Channel 800W JL Amp bc I'm also going to replace the stock subwoofer, use the first 6 channels for the door speakers and bridge the last two channels for the sub. There is about a $1,000 difference between the JL set up and the Hertz set up so I wanted to see if there was really that big of a difference in sound for that price. I do want to get the most bass I can get out of the set up without having to install a custom box in the back or anything like that.
Old 04-19-18, 12:23 PM
Neil E
Pit Crew

That's a very neat, versatile amp that can take an RCA input spliced from the speaker wires. For improved, bass I would suggest considering an alternative sub in an enclosure.
Old 04-19-18, 01:02 PM
Hwdrook
Rookie

I would love to do that but don't want to take up the little trunk space I got lol. Thanks for the advice though Neil, I appreciate it. Do you know how many channels or watts the stock ML amp comes with???
Old 04-19-18, 01:35 PM
VVTiBob

Received 271 Likes on 204 Posts

SC 430’s system features a six-disc, single feed, in-dash CD changer, seven
channel Digital Sound Processor (DSP) with a 240-watt amplifier pumping through nine speakers, including a dedicated subwoofer mounted behind the rear seat back and domed tweeters in the A-pillar.

It is fitted with an Automatic Sound Leveliser (ASL) that automatically adjusts for sound quality and clarity in open top and closed top situations.

The Mark Levinson amp designed for the Lexus SC 430 uses a discrete output technology to get 55 watts per channel times eight channels with a distortion level of only 0.01 percent.

The nine speakers in the Lexus SC 430 are specifically designed and manufactured by Harman, who is also the parent company of Mark Levinson, JBL, Infinity and Revel, to bring the needed impact to autos in general and especially to the convertible car environment. The driver complement includes two 2.5-inch midrange speakers and tweeters in both doors plus six-inch by nine-inch Kevlar composite speakers, also in the door. Four-inch mid-drivers are located behind, and to the outside of the front seats, along with an eight-inch subwoofer placed in the trunk, behind the upper rear seat panel, center cabin.

The Levinson designers worked directly with Lexus to sculpt the seat cushions in the rear of the car to optimize the bass performance.

The last ingredient in the SC 430 system is equalization. Each speaker is
designed to work in a number of different environments, including top up and top down conditions. The use of EQ is the best way to maximize the performance of each driver as part of a total music system in the car. Additionally, the EQ system of the SC 430 allows for a different-sounding system when the top is up, as opposed to when it is down. As the top goes up, it automatically changes the EQ setting to optimize the sound of the system in a controlled environment.

And no, I did not write all of this. Some of it comes from Lexus.

Last edited by VVTiBob; 04-19-18 at 01:40 PM.
Hwdrook (04-20-18)
Old 04-19-18, 01:53 PM
VVTiBob

Received 271 Likes on 204 Posts

This thread is the absolute best all around go to resource for your project:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...all-sc430.html
Neil E (04-19-18)
Old 04-19-18, 05:20 PM
Neil E
Pit Crew

Great info, when all of the components are in good order, it's a very good set up.

Originally Posted by Hwdrook
I would love to do that but don't want to take up the little trunk space I got lol. Thanks for the advice though Neil, I appreciate it. Do you know how many channels or watts the stock ML amp comes with???
It's worth reading through all of the info provided by VVTi Bob to have a good understanding of the options and then you can make an informed decision on the best route to take. It all depends on what you are trying to achieve. With a little more bass the overall sound is much improved, I was content for a short while.

I too needed to preserve the trunk space for the spare wheel but was prepared to sacrifice the rear seats for 2 JL boxed subs and the DLS amp, it also now drives the Focal ES165 KX3 front components. The result is a far better sound but no rear seats and the door trims had to be adapted to house the Focal components.

Using an Alpine head unit with a modified Beatsonic interface, prior to installing the Focals, I could quite easily remove the subs and put the rear seat back in for more space whenever required.