SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

sc430 for my 16 year old daughter?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-18, 08:04 AM
VVTiBob

Received 272 Likes on 204 Posts

My 02 gets to 110 MPH without even trying with plenty room left to accelerate . I believe our points are, or at least those of us who believe it’s a bad idea to give a 16 year old this type of car, the temptations to do very risky behaviors, as well as peer pressure from others as pointed out by JohnnyCake and GmanSC above, outweigh any of the benefits.

I suppose you could use the car as a teaching tool since most of us learn more from our mistakes than our successes. Installing an OBDII device to the port AND monitoring the car’s activity and whereabouts may provide some parental oversite.

I still believe providing this car, as a first car, is a mistake but who am I to judge. While not knowing you or your daughter, generally speaking, teenagers from my training and experience, tend to take more risks, make poorer decisions, and seem to believe that they are indestructible. Why? I’ve seen many reasons but most often it’s inexperience, a misunderstanding of the fragility of the human body, and incomplete reasoning and cognitive development.

IMO a parent’s never ending duty IS TO GUIDE their child from infancy through adulthood. Sermon over. Thanks for you patience. Good luck with YOUR decision.
Old 03-23-18, 08:41 AM
sixonemale
Intermediate

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
My 02 gets to 110 MPH without even trying with plenty room left to accelerate . I believe our points are, or at least those of us who believe it’s a bad idea to give a 16 year old this type of car, the temptations to do very risky behaviors, as well as peer pressure from others as pointed out by JohnnyCake and GmanSC above, outweigh any of the benefits.

I suppose you could use the car as a teaching tool since most of us learn more from our mistakes than our successes. Installing an OBDII device to the port AND monitoring the car’s activity and whereabouts may provide some parental oversite.

I still believe providing this car, as a first car, is a mistake but who am I to judge. While not knowing you or your daughter, generally speaking, teenagers from my training and experience, tend to take more risks, make poorer decisions, and seem to believe that they are indestructible. Why? I’ve seen many reasons but most often it’s inexperience, a misunderstanding of the fragility of the human body, and incomplete reasoning and cognitive development.

IMO a parent’s never ending duty IS TO GUIDE their child from infancy through adulthood. Sermon over. Thanks for you patience. Good luck with YOUR decision.
Not knowing you or your daughter, but knowing how I was as a teenager and observations of teens driving over the years, I think having any teen drive a SC as their first car would be a HUGE mistake. As Bob stated his SC gets to 110 MPH with plenty of room left to accelerate, in addition to very little strain on the engine and most importantly it can sometimes feel like your still driving at 70 MPH, but now with handling and making quick adjustments compromised significantly. Not that I was risky teen driver, but I'll admit I did like to sometimes push my car to the limits, therefore, if the SC was my first car at 16 years old there is reasonable chance I may not be typing this. Now mix in cell phones, texting and other activities that teens may indulge themselves in.

Last edited by sixonemale; 03-23-18 at 09:37 AM.
Old 03-23-18, 09:41 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 197 Likes on 166 Posts

I am sure glad I didn't grow in with you guys. I started driving in 1968. My friends had Camaros and my dad had a Cutlass with a 330 cc inch and a 4 barrel Holly. It was basically a 442 with an automatic. And you think an SC is too much for a 16 year old. I would much rather my daughter (and I do have one) have been in an SC than most, if not all, the cars I grew up in. The SC is a very safe car and I would have no issue with my kid driving one. It would sure keep the number of passengers down and they would have to be creative as there is no back seat (to speak of) to climb into.
Old 03-23-18, 01:31 PM
jrfiero
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

From Bgw70 -
"Also, what is a 6s?"

An iPhone 6s, sorry.
Old 03-23-18, 02:45 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 914 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by jrfiero
From Bgw70 -
"Also, what is a 6s?"

An iPhone 6s, sorry.
LoL, after a few minutes I figured out you were referring to a phone...I should have did an edit on my post!

Anyway, thanks for the clarification.

how long have you had your SC430?
Old 03-24-18, 01:19 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 413 Likes on 362 Posts

I don't really have an opinion on this subject but don't think that the SC430 will limit the number of passengers, other than keeping below 5 or 6. I've carried 3 adult passengers in my car and they weren't small adults (not really large either). Just remember what you were like as a teenager when someone said lets go for a ride or let's go somewhere but only one of the group has a car. If nothing else, teenagers will cram in a car just because they can and for the adventure.
Old 03-24-18, 03:06 PM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

A convertible make absolutely terrible first cars for inexperienced young drivers. No one has a problem understanding how catastrophic it would be for the occupant(s) to accidentally roll an SC with its top down. Honestly the lack of real structural protection in a top down roll over event would not be much different with "hardtop" up. The SC top, being completely retractable, results in its having significantly less structural integrity than an actual hardtop. Adults owning convertibles typically understand there is more risk driving any convertible and many may be a little more careful as a result. I am not sure many 16 yo first car drivers given a convertible have the experience and the forethought to fully appreciate the additional risk and adjust their behavior accordingly.

btw - when I was 16-17 yo new driver I owned a very fast car and even faster motorcycle(s). Never crashed and killed myself, but I should have done so multiple times, only completely undeserved sheer luck allowed me to avoid injury in multiple serious mistakes/events that would have buried someone less lucky.

Last edited by Jabberwock; 03-24-18 at 03:11 PM.
Old 03-24-18, 05:44 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 567 Likes on 433 Posts

Some statistic to keep in mind and consideration:

1. In first year of driving after having a license: 50% of teenagers will, either got a ticket or involved in car accident.
2. In US, every year, 6000 of teenagers died in car accident.

Think about it !
Old 03-24-18, 08:26 PM
MitchalTX
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I'll just get one for myself.
She can drive it maybe with me in the car with her.
The following users liked this post:
2wPushkins (04-07-18)
Old 03-24-18, 10:20 PM
Prasha
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MitchalTX
I was looking into a sc430 for my 16 year old daughter?
They seem to last a long time if taken care of.
I've not owned one yet.
Do you think it is too much car for a 16 year old?
thanks
If she is not asking for sc430, stay out of it.
Buy her any small current reliable model and under warranty.
Old 03-25-18, 12:26 AM
Kubbz
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've driven the SC430 many times and it's too much car for a 16 year old. The power is too tempting not to speed, especially with the pressure of her peers etc. Not to mention the distractions of the convertible aspect, namely the attention it will draw while driving. You want her focused on driving safe, given she's a new driver. If you really wanted to get her something on the more luxury side, I'd recommend the IS250/350 (V6)or the IS250/350C "If" you are set on a convertible. Again, the IS250 is plenty of car and the IS350 puts out around 300+ quick ponies. (Years 2006+). I unintentionally made quite a few mistakes when i got my license at 17, looking back my first car should have been a tank, aka Lincoln town car or any older American car. Good luck and let us know what you decide...
Old 03-25-18, 05:15 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 914 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by MitchalTX
I think I'll just get one for myself.
She can drive it maybe with me in the car with her.
LoL, the responses may have been a little overwhelming!

here is a thought, how about a Toyota Camry Solara?
Girls/Ladies love this car!!!
ask any of them...and a low mileage version is very affordable.
they do have a V6, but it is certainly not a V8...plus the Toyota reliability.
here is a link to low mileage Solara’s nationwide!
they were made 1998-2008. The search is for 2005-2008 convertibles only...they make hardtops also.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...sModified=true
Old 03-25-18, 11:50 AM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Received 195 Likes on 154 Posts

Sc’s have scary high speed handling and enough power to be dangerous. Bad combo.

safer to have great handling and less motor IMO.
Old 03-25-18, 03:13 PM
Taysdad
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dissenting opinion

Michaeltx - I may be about th only one who thinks this is a good idea if your daughter has a good head on her shoulders.

However, I do speak from experience....... I gave my daughter my 2002 SC430 when she turned 16. She is now 21 and finishing up her Junior year in college and still drives the car. She still loves it and considers it the best present ever. She liked being able to say to her friends “I can’t drive, my car is too small” as an good way to get out of driving. Additionally, its bulletproof reliability has been great for a student.

Your mileage may vary.

Michael
Old 03-25-18, 03:33 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 413 Likes on 362 Posts

Michael, you make a good point. Most of us are looking at the situation from a guy's viewpoint and we as teenagers were highly likely much less careful and responsible than our female counterparts. Also, it will completely depend on the personality and character of the particular teenager. Some are old souls in their teens and some are just hormonal driven until their, uh, hmm, some don't grow out of it.

(I'm still staying neutral on this one.)

Quick Reply: sc430 for my 16 year old daughter?