SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

ABS module assembly leaking brake fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-17, 12:09 PM
foreste1
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default ABS module assembly leaking brake fluid?

Hi have noticed a few drops of brake fluid recently under front drivers side of car on ground. I took in to my mechanic and he said the complete abs brake module assembly has to be replaced that it is not rebuild-able etc. I am not convinced that is the problem. Has anybody else had a leak right below the brake filler reservoir and if so what was it and what parts need replaced?
Old 09-26-17, 01:01 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 854 Likes on 687 Posts

Originally Posted by foreste1
Hi have noticed a few drops of brake fluid recently under front drivers side of car on ground. I took in to my mechanic and he said the complete abs brake module assembly has to be replaced that it is not rebuild-able etc. I am not convinced that is the problem. Has anybody else had a leak right below the brake filler reservoir and if so what was it and what parts need replaced?
I am sorry this happening to you... :-(
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...luid-leak.html
Old 09-26-17, 01:12 PM
foreste1
Pit Crew

Hi! Thank you I appreciate that. So when you did yours was it the actual master cylinder leaking or the abs module? Do I need the abs module and master cylinder all as one piece as the tech said? I see you found the whole thing I believe for $100? Also how hard is it to change entire unit or again do I need to do that? I read through your threads, but I am still kind of lost. Thanks!!
Old 09-26-17, 01:16 PM
jonas's RX
Instructor

Received 146 Likes on 95 Posts

I notice all the older GS and SC all have ABS problems.
Is your unit making a humming noise on occasions ?

i had a few SC and they all made this low humming noise

if it is leaking then maybe that is the last leg with the unit though
Old 09-26-17, 01:52 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Hi! Thank you I appreciate that. So when you did yours was it the actual master cylinder leaking or the abs module? Do I need the abs module and master cylinder all as one piece as the tech said? I see you found the whole thing I believe for $100? Also how hard is it to change entire unit or again do I need to do that? I read through your threads, but I am still kind of lost. Thanks!!
i think it was the MC, but i never found out for sure.

Check www.car-part.com to see if you can locate the complete unit.

this thing is a beast, very unique and very expensive. I don’t think you will find repair parts but I could be wrong.
at $100, I was a lucky guy that day.
it is not difficult to change, a few connectors, four brake lines and a pin you pull under the dash.

bleading these brakes are different vs other cars. Do your homework.
we will help you when you get to that point.

where does it drip...onto the cat, like mine?
mine was leaking down the firewall, it saturated the padding/insulation on the firewall.
how often are you refilling?
does it pump every morning? The loud pump noise?
how do you know it is leaking from the ABS unit?

can you post pics of the location?

Last edited by Bgw70; 09-26-17 at 02:01 PM.
Old 09-26-17, 02:00 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

BTW, the 2002-2010 MCs are all the same.
I found one in Texas for $50
Old 09-26-17, 04:42 PM
foreste1
Pit Crew

So I dont hear any loud noise or hum coming from the unit. I had put it away all summer and just brought it out a few days ago and noticed a spot on driveway pavers when I parked. I did have to add about half a small container of Dot 3 yesterday and today its still full after driving maybe 30 miles or so.
I took a few pics so you can see where it is leaking, its on the side of unit toward drivers fender and toward rear of whatever the black plastic thing is that runs parallel with fender and back to firewall. I did reach in and touch firewall and its greasy/black on my hands.
Brakes function perfect, no issues.

Old 09-26-17, 04:45 PM
foreste1
Pit Crew

seems to be where that black piece meets the seam of the silver metal part under the brake fluid reservoir, sorry dont know names of the parts.
Old 09-26-17, 04:49 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 457 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Bgw70
BTW, the 2002-2010 MCs are all the same.
I found one in Texas for $50
Good find. Interesting how one is $50 and the other listing is $500

Foreste, if you are looking for a local find; There are three guys on Phoenix Craigslist that are parting out SC's
Old 09-26-17, 04:54 PM
foreste1
Pit Crew

Also have not noticed on exhaust or a smell. When you search for the used part is it just the master cylinder I need or the abs module unit with master cylinder? I had filled brake fluid to right below max line yesterday, and when I went out just now to take pics the fluid was above the max line and then after starting it, it went back down to right below max, so I assume that is all working correctly, its just leaking and I can see it under the reservoir kind of following the silver metal piece and then onto that black plastic piece and heading toward rear of car.
Old 09-26-17, 04:56 PM
foreste1
Pit Crew

DashingDar, good to hear from you, thanks! Ok I will go on craigslist, I thought I remembered somebody parting out one. Trying to understand if I am after the abs module with master cylinder or just master cylinder?
Old 09-26-17, 06:20 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DashingDar
Good find. Interesting how one is $50 and the other listing is $500

Foreste, if you are looking for a local find; There are three guys on Phoenix Craigslist that are parting out SC's
some yards know the value others price them like other cars...the yard I purchased from didn’t do any homework, they just quoted a price and I jumped on it... $100
Old 09-26-17, 06:29 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

DashingDar, good to hear from you, thanks! Ok I will go on craigslist, I thought I remembered somebody parting out one. Trying to understand if I am after the abs module with master cylinder or just master cylinder?
the MC, ABS and accumulator should all be sold as one assembly. Going in person would be best and hopefully you can see it operate on the car, then pull it.

look it over for any leaks. If it off the car already it may have some spillage on the outside.

I believe mine was leaking in the same area as yours...if you look back at my pics in the other thread, I point to that area.

the MC should be full after the car sat for several hours. It is normal for the fluid to go down in the MC reservoir after the car is turned on.
remember this MC is all electric, no vacuum assist like most cars. I think that accumulator is pumped up to several hundred psi. It’s the shiny round thing on the passenger side of the MC.

Last edited by Bgw70; 09-27-17 at 12:00 PM.
Old 09-27-17, 07:03 AM
foreste1
Pit Crew

Bgw70, thanks for all the help! I found a couple local, thanks Dashingdar on that. One guy says its one the car still and I would need to pull it, just a guy who wrecked his car I guess. Do you guys have step by step instructions to remove? Another guy said $350 from car with 140k, but seems too high.
Old 09-27-17, 11:59 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Bgw70, thanks for all the help! I found a couple local, thanks Dashingdar on that. One guy says its one the car still and I would need to pull it, just a guy who wrecked his car I guess. Do you guys have step by step instructions to remove? Another guy said $350 from car with 140k, but seems too high.
you want the one on the car and I hope the car electrical will allow a key on as a minimum.
engine on to press brake would be better.
how much and how many miles?

check fluid level and color.
clear would mean it has been changed recently, ask why.
dark would mean, not changed recently and probably no leaks if at a good level.

i don’t have a written procedure to remove the MC, but I have the service manuals.
will see about providing some copies when I get home tonight.

Trying to remember from 2.5yrs ago...
four fluid lines on pass side of MC, you will need line wrenches...DO NOT USE an open end wrench!
three electrical connectors.
Four bolts or nuts holding the MC to the firewall...don’t remember if access is under the dash or on the firewall...go look.
disconnect the brake peddle from the MC. It will be a rod and I think you need to pull a pin, access under the dash.

it should only take about an hour, two hrs tops.

brake bleeding is different with our car...do a search.

Quick Reply: ABS module assembly leaking brake fluid?