SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

*&#*& Tire leaking around bead

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-17, 12:58 AM
Summerfun7
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default *&#*& Tire leaking around bead

I should not be surprised at this point in my life that people tend to be dirt bags an feel the need not to disclose problems when buying a car despite when asking direct questions. To that end I am plagued with a wheel that leaks 10psi a day..i have only owned the car for a few weeks and for some bizarre reason it went from only leaking a few pounds in a day to now 10. There is/are no nails, no cuts, no damage to the tire-its new as the other three also are (only about 500 miles on the rubber-non run flats) I took it to a major chain tire store where I have purchased multiple sets of tires for other cars/suvs over the years. They (like I did) inspected the tire for any damage-none...put it into a bath and said "its leaking around the bead" The tire was removed, they sanded down the area where It was leaking, put a sealant around the bead. It was inflated to 35 psi put back on the car and within a few hours my **%$% low pressure light came on...a quick check showed 24 psi. I have never had a car/truck do this before despite owning over 20 vehicles in my lifetime, this is driving me nuts.
I looked on ebay and found many used/ refurbished and one new mfg of the same wheel (not Toyota) but different company making 100% exact replicas of the wheel that is on my 02. So my question deals with the tire sensor. I looked and no one sells a sensor with a reman or after market new wheel. I see many used lexus sensors listed and some new for around 20 dollars with free shipping. The lower priced ones do not say they work with a 2002 only 2006 and higher. Is there a difference between tire sensors from 2002 to other years? Will any sensor work? What is the color dot that I saw in a posting? How would I know what color dot is on my wheel sensor unless its removed...this kind of causes an issue because tire/wheel are on the car and will stay that way until I get a replacement wheel/tire sensor. if its a different color dot, can you program the sensors with a magnet like on a corvette? If so what is the process on a sc430? thank you iin advance.
Old 09-04-17, 01:15 AM
Summerfun7
Driver School Candidate

follow up question, looking at partsgeek, they show tire pressure sensors by wheel location, lf, rf, lr, rr...and say no programing is required.. right rear tire pressure sensor pn from them 7587-05187345 is this some joke or are they actually sold by location on the vehicle??
Old 09-04-17, 03:19 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by Summerfun7
follow up question, looking at partsgeek, they show tire pressure sensors by wheel location, lf, rf, lr, rr...and say no programing is required.. right rear tire pressure sensor pn from them 7587-05187345 is this some joke or are they actually sold by location on the vehicle??
purchase them from www.rockauto.com ~$70 for each sensor.
you must program them to the car and almost all places CANNOT program them to your car. Techstream can tell you which is which. No, they are not specific to each location...and yes you can rotate the tires. I was confused like that in the beginning.
discount tire installed my new one for free, then I programmed it with techstream.

you need techstream to program the sensor...~$25 on eBay or Amazon. plenty of techstream data on CL.

so, does you wheel have a crack? Why else would it leak?
check craigslist for wheels.

here is a picture of what the TPMS sensor looks like in techstream...note there are four colors and they show voltage, temp and pressure.
your other alternative is to bypass the TPMS system. The procedure is located in the stickies.

Last edited by Bgw70; 09-04-17 at 03:35 AM.
Old 09-04-17, 08:25 AM
Helogadget
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am having a similar issue with the wheels on my car. They are aftermarket Platinum chrome wheels and 2 have started leaking at the bead after having my Michelin Pilot Super Sports put on a couple of months ago. I have had terrible luck with chrome wheels and bead leaks on the last 2 cars I have owned. I have ordered 4 brand new tourmalines and am eagerly awaiting their arrival!
Old 09-04-17, 09:23 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts

Once the chrome starts peeling where the bead sits, they start leaking. Only permanent fix then is repair and rechrome, or replace. I had to get rid of my Dayton wire wheels for the same reason on my jaguar. I tried bead sealer. Grinding. I was told repeatedly that it would not fix it, but being thick headed. The op's does sound like it might have a hairline fracture though.
Old 09-05-17, 03:21 AM
Summerfun7
Driver School Candidate

the wheels on my car are not the chrome option but rather the brush/painted ones. I ordered a new lexus wheel to solve the problem. .
Old 09-05-17, 11:37 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 458 Likes on 384 Posts

Did you ask the tire company if it is a bad bead on the tire, or a bad rim on the car?

Also, if you buy a new rim and take it in to have the tire changed, you can ask them to put the old sensor on your new rim. That way you won't need to program anything.
Old 09-05-17, 12:24 PM
jonas's RX
Instructor

Received 146 Likes on 95 Posts

Gang

unfortunately with Chrome rims, as soon as they start to peel
they do all leak.

The permanent solution is getting new rims
Old 09-06-17, 04:28 AM
Summerfun7
Driver School Candidate

I planned on just carrying in the new wheel and problem one and have the tire shop swap tires and sensor. They told me it was leaking around the rim...I know in the back of my mind that the only way to test 100% sure that it is not the tire would have been to mark the rim and than rotate the tire on the rim 180 degrees to make sure that the rim is bad and not the tire. Time will tell if I made the right choice by purchasing a new rim. I also picked up a new tpms kit, o ring etc as I don't want the oring to be bad/flat spotted on the existing wheel when they swap it to the new one.
Old 09-06-17, 07:40 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by Summerfun7
I planned on just carrying in the new wheel and problem one and have the tire shop swap tires and sensor. They told me it was leaking around the rim...I know in the back of my mind that the only way to test 100% sure that it is not the tire would have been to mark the rim and than rotate the tire on the rim 180 degrees to make sure that the rim is bad and not the tire. Time will tell if I made the right choice by purchasing a new rim. I also picked up a new tpms kit, o ring etc as I don't want the oring to be bad/flat spotted on the existing wheel when they swap it to the new one.
are you going to reuse the existing TPMS sensor on your 2002 SC430?