Replacing Alternator and removing PS pump

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-17, 09:36 AM
socalturbo
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Alternator and removing PS pump

Hi Guys,

My alternator stopped charging my battery so i'm trying to replace it. After removing the bolts, nuts, and cables from the alternator, I couldn't remove it completely because the power steering pump is in the way. Anyways, I removed the 2 bolts in the back and the 1 nut behind the pulley but it wouldn't come out. I kept all of the hoses attached, since i probably only need a few inches. Does anyone have a picture of how the PS pump mounts so I can remove it?

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-22-17, 08:40 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

I didn't take pictures, but I jacked my Sc up & removed the alternator from the bottom.....it was a pretty simple & easy procedure.
Old 06-23-17, 05:12 AM
Poqman
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

You don't need to remove the pump, just the pump pulley. See post 13 from https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...t-came-on.html.
Old 06-23-17, 05:12 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by texsexlex
I didn't take pictures, but I jacked my Sc up & removed the alternator from the bottom.....it was a pretty simple & easy procedure.
I had mine replaced this week at Firestone and this is the way they did it. From the bottom.
Old 06-23-17, 10:13 AM
socalturbo
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone. Yea, i ended up removing the PS pump pulley and removed the alternator from the bottom. Jam the PS pump pulley with a wrench so it doesn't move, WD 40 the pulley nut, use a breaker bar to remove the pulley nut. after getting the nut off, i sprayed the pulley with WD40, hit it with a mallet a few times, then i pulled it off by hand.
Old 06-23-17, 10:22 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by socalturbo
Thanks everyone. Yea, i ended up removing the PS pump pulley and removed the alternator from the bottom. Jam the PS pump pulley with a wrench so it doesn't move, WD 40 the pulley nut, use a breaker bar to remove the pulley nut. after getting the nut off, i sprayed the pulley with WD40, hit it with a mallet a few times, then i pulled it off by hand.
....glad you were able to get it done....good job !!!!....but still a little more work than needed, because I didn't take off any pulleys. I had to maneuver it over the sway bar & it dropped right out
Old 05-24-18, 10:49 AM
BCT
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

....glad you were able to get it done....good job !!!!....but still a little more work than needed, because I didn't take off any pulleys. I had to maneuver it over the sway bar & it dropped right out
Are you saying you can get the alternator off without taking the power steering pulley out? Do you remember how you do this? I am in the middle of trying to replace alternator, and not sure how I can get the alternator out without removing the power steering pulley. Currently I have the nut off from power steering pulley, but the pulley itself is stuck. Any idea what to do? Should I just put a lot of pressure to get the pulley off?

How does the power steering pump attached to engine? I can see one nut right above the alternator. I am thinking to loosen and move the power steering pump away to give space to the alternator.
Old 05-24-18, 10:54 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 457 Likes on 383 Posts

I did mine from the bottom. I think I ended up taking out the cooling fan, which is much easier than taking off the pulley.

The bad part is the alternator is heavy to support one handed when you try to figure out the angle you need to get it past the sway bar, but with a little trial and effort, it does come out.
Old 05-24-18, 10:55 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

BTW, was it all greasy and wet? If so, it is because your power steering reservoir is leaking.
Old 05-24-18, 10:58 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Here are some great steps from TexSexLex that I followed

...just replaced my alternator last week, not a bad project, it took me about 3hrs without rushing at all. Here's a quick diy off the top of my head...
1)....disconnect battery
2)....remove drive belt by taking pressure off tensioner
3)....remove pulley from vane pump
.....all other steps will be performed from under vehicles
4)....remove undercover from vehicle
5)...loosen 3 bolts from front of alternator...(1 on bottom, 1 on side, 1 on top)
6)....remove bolts & support alternator with hand or front sway bar
7)...unplug harness....be very careful, it has a push in lock tab,may be hard to get loose
8)...disconnect battery connection from alternator....(1 nut )
9)...should be able to wiggle it out over the sway bar & in front of radiator
####....removing the bottom radiator hose will make the job easier (pulling alternator out & installing),but I was able to manage it without removing the hose....#####
10)....reverse the steps to install....I did test everything,before bolting the undercover back in place

....I think I remembered all the steps I took....hope this helps you
The following users liked this post:
tyhz (07-04-18)
Old 05-24-18, 12:42 PM
BCT
Advanced

Originally Posted by DshngDaryl
Here are some great steps from TexSexLex that I followed
Yeah I saw that thread. I am stuck at no 3.
3)....remove pulley from vane pump - I think this means the power steering pump pulley right?
Old 05-24-18, 02:51 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BCT
Yeah I saw that thread. I am stuck at no 3.
3)....remove pulley from vane pump - I think this means the power steering pump pulley right?
Wow, yeah. That is right.

I ended up changing it in the parking lot of my work place and didn't remember taking the pulley off, but I guess I must have.

Take a look at this video. at 2 minutes and 30 seconds, you can see how this person took off their Lexus GX470 pulley

If it is REALLY stuck, you can probably take a rubber mallet (not a hammer) and just tap it off. (After you take the bolt out of course) You want to tap in multiple places along the edge of the pulley. Maybe at the 9 o clock position, the 12 o clock position, the 3 o clock position. The key word is TAP.
Old 05-24-18, 04:31 PM
BCT
Advanced

Thanks for the link @DshngDaryl.

I am so frustrated now. Been trying to do this since yesterday. Got all of the nuts off. All needed is this pulley to come off. The video confirms my thought that the pulley should just come off easily. Mine is super stuck. I had tap it with a rubber mallet, but as you know it is tight there, so I can not really get a good tap. Its been soaking in PB Blaster, so hopefully that helps.
Old 05-24-18, 05:05 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BCT
Thanks for the link @DshngDaryl.

I am so frustrated now. Been trying to do this since yesterday. Got all of the nuts off. All needed is this pulley to come off. The video confirms my thought that the pulley should just come off easily. Mine is super stuck. I had tap it with a rubber mallet, but as you know it is tight there, so I can not really get a good tap. Its been soaking in PB Blaster, so hopefully that helps.
It's a tough one, 'cause I don't want to tell you anything that could bend or break your pulley. You could try something long and tapered like maybe an old fashioned crowbar? If you wedge it between the pulley and the pump, maybe you can convince it to come off gently

Really, it would probably be best if you go to an auto parts store and use a pulley remover. they let you borrow one for free.

You can watch this video on how one works. https://youtu.be/RVr_rA65jNo

It has been a Loooong time since I took mine off, so make sure you take my advice with a grain of salt
The following users liked this post:
BCT (05-26-18)
Old 05-25-18, 01:30 PM
BCT
Advanced

Originally Posted by DshngDaryl
It's a tough one, 'cause I don't want to tell you anything that could bend or break your pulley. You could try something long and tapered like maybe an old fashioned crowbar? If you wedge it between the pulley and the pump, maybe you can convince it to come off gently

Really, it would probably be best if you go to an auto parts store and use a pulley remover. they let you borrow one for free.

You can watch this video on how one works. https://youtu.be/RVr_rA65jNo

It has been a Loooong time since I took mine off, so make sure you take my advice with a grain of salt
I appreciate it DshngDaryl. I actually went to autozone yesterday. They do not have pulley remover that would fit. Unfortunately I am running out of time with the long weekend coming up, so I called a mobile mechanic who can fix car at your driveway/garage. He is supposed to come here at my house, and fix it. I am going to watch to see what he does.

It is kinda annoying on a personal level. I have not had my car fix by anyone for years. I have replaced things that are a lot more complicated, and this simple pulley manage to defeat me lmao.

EDIT: I am planning to buy a pulley removal tool when I have some extra cash. I really hate driving around town trying to find tools that I need.

Last edited by BCT; 05-25-18 at 01:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Replacing Alternator and removing PS pump