SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Shipping SC430 Opinion

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-17, 04:16 PM
Pjoy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shipping SC430 Opinion

Hi... everyone has been so helpful as I search for my car so I once again need opinions.
Car i was looking at fell thru it was within 200 miles of my home. I've found an 07 approx 91,000 miles and they're asking 17,500, but is 600 miles from my home. Pictures look beautiful black over camel. It has 2sets of keys owners Manuel and good Carfax. I spoke with dealer told them if we could work out a deal I would probably fly in to check out car and drive it back. He brought up shipping said about 30% of customers had cars shipped. So...what is best thing to do? Do I have a car shipped that I've never seen in person? Do I fly in check it out and have it shipped instead of driving 10hrs back? I researched dealer, appears to be very reputable. So I'd like to know what some of you more experienced in this option think.
THANKS SO MUCH!!
Pjoy
Old 05-06-17, 04:22 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Really depends on the dealer and how much you trust them. I've heard nightmare stories about buying cars sight unseen, and occasionally about people who got great deals. Personally, if you have the time, I would fly down to pick it up, good excuse for a nice road trip.
Old 05-06-17, 04:28 PM
Pjoy
Driver School Candidate

Thanks so much. I kinda feel that way too. Shipping sounds good because of distance but that's a whole new world for me. Also there's a Lexus dealer in the town that I could have do an inspection. I really appreciate your response and think I'll see if we can have a meeting of the minds on price if so I'll just go to them. And your right it would be a great road trip! And this just popped in my head what do you think about the warranty dealers offer thru a 3rd party..do u think it's worth it or no.
THANKS AGAIN!!
Old 05-06-17, 05:06 PM
Lesly1
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Hi PJoy, I totally agree with 02SDGS. I bought the SC for my wife last June 500 miles away. We live in Adelaide South Australia, & flew to Melbourne Victoria to pick it up. Work out the best possible price before going there. Take someone with you as it's a long drive, to share the driving & for company. If they don't want to budge with the price much, at least try & get them to cover the Flights & the Fuel.

Best of luck.

Chris........From OZ.
Old 05-06-17, 05:15 PM
Pjoy
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Chris you're a peach!! It's great to be able to get advice for a newbie like me. It's beautiful so I'm going to visualize driving it home.
Thanks again
Old 05-06-17, 06:00 PM
sippy2
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

600 miles is drivable...I bought my car 500 miles away...flew in checked it out and drove home. The other car I was looking at was about 1800 miles away...my plan for that car was fly in check it out and have it shipped. Just what I was going to do.
Old 05-06-17, 06:04 PM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts

Just had my 2002 SC430 shipped to North Carolina from Florida, no problem at all! I purchased the car from Royal Palm Toyota and the sales rep gave me a video overview of the car. And of course I had a clean CarFax and went to LexusDrivers.com and put in the VIN - I definitely recommend you do that as it will give you the complete history from the Lexus dealer.

Keep in mind no used car is perfect. When I got the car I still had it checked out at the local Lexus dealer and they recommended I replace a power steering hose. Also, the check engine light came on and I had a cracked vacuum hose. Replaced it for $3 at AutoZone.

Overall, I love the car! They don't make them like this anymore. If the CarFax and service history is good (and the dealer is reputable) I say go for it!!
Old 05-06-17, 06:29 PM
Pjoy
Driver School Candidate

Thanks again so much again. I appreciate all the great advice, especially the Lexus site which I knew nothing about.
Thanks to all of you u you've been a tremendous help.
Old 05-06-17, 09:37 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 567 Likes on 433 Posts

Go get it and enjoy the drive home top-down.
Old 05-06-17, 09:45 PM
LindaSC430
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Pjoy,
I just purchased a 2006 SC 430 with 114,000 for $12K last month. For my peace of mind, I had the dealer drop off my potential SC430 at their near by Lexus dealership for a Pre Purchase Inspection PPI. My SC 430 was thoroughly inspected, and the dealer found it needed two new tire sensors replaced at a cost of $700+. Otherwise it was in great mechanical and structural condition. I was able to negotiate with the seller for the needed repairs. The dealer took off the cost of repairs. I would not recommend purchasing a car unseen for 17+K unless you have a PPI from a non-bias Lexus Dealer . This car is a fun pleasure to drive, and 500 miles will give you a chance to get to know the intricacy of this beautifully engineered masterpiece. Take a good friend, and enjoy your new ride home.
Old 05-07-17, 05:40 AM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

Like others have said, way too much money to put out without in person check out and pick up. And then if it works out enjoy the road trip home.
Old 05-07-17, 06:21 AM
Pjoy
Driver School Candidate

I think so too. And I checked there's​ a Lexus dealership in the town so I can take it In there and have it looked at. And worse case scenario I'm out a cheap plane ticket as opposed to having an expensive car I'm stuck with that has issues
Old 05-07-17, 06:50 AM
sixonemale
Intermediate

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

I would also recommend picking it up: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...rnia-done.html
Old 05-07-17, 06:52 AM
Pjoy
Driver School Candidate

Thanks so much for the link!
Old 05-10-17, 12:15 PM
hankinla
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Second that emotion

For that valued, better to check it out. I had a 78 CB750 sent to me. Video was clean, etc. when the bike came, there was a key pin missing in the drive train, PPI at the least is in orders. Bike was solid luckily, but as they say "buy the seller not what they're selling."

Originally Posted by Pjoy
Thanks so much for the link!

Quick Reply: Shipping SC430 Opinion