back-up camera on 2006

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-16, 09:25 AM
maxse
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default back-up camera on 2006

Hey guys,

Do you know if it's possible to add a back-up camera to a 2006 SC 430 to the stock system so that it shows on the existing screen? Thanks
Old 10-31-16, 09:30 AM
jzdulexus
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

I just did that on my 2007 SC. I used Naviks and this item from Amazon. It turns out like a factory install and integrated nav feature. You can see from the picture of license plate it is barely visible. The rear cam view pops onto nav screen when the car is put in reverse gear. It took me about four hours.
Attached Thumbnails back-up camera on 2006-backupcamonplate.jpg   back-up camera on 2006-closeup.jpg   back-up camera on 2006-dashview.jpg  
Old 10-31-16, 11:19 AM
sideswipe
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by jzdulexus
I just did that on my 2007 SC. I used Naviks and this item from Amazon. It turns out like a factory install and integrated nav feature. You can see from the picture of license plate it is barely visible. The rear cam view pops onto nav screen when the car is put in reverse gear. It took me about four hours.
If I was more technically inclined I'd try this. Anyone know any nyc area installers they can recommend?
Old 10-31-16, 11:26 AM
jzdulexus
Pole Position

In fact, you are very lucky that Naviks is located in NYC area. They routinely talk people thru installation on the phone. They know very well about this particular car and I am sure they have done many of them. I wish they were located near me.
The following users liked this post:
sideswipe (12-19-16)
Old 11-02-16, 10:35 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by jzdulexus
In fact, you are very lucky that Naviks is located in NYC area. They routinely talk people thru installation on the phone. They know very well about this particular car and I am sure they have done many of them. I wish they were located near me.
the guys at NavIKS are awesome. They helped me through my install about 4 years ago. I did the install myself, but their customer support and techs gave me the confidence and direction I needed over the phone. I highly recommend them and their product.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...on-naviks.html

Last edited by ShawnOk; 11-03-16 at 07:50 AM.
sideswipe (12-19-16)
Old 11-03-16, 07:36 AM
sideswipe
Pole Position

I bought the Naviks and the backup camera. What is required from the install as far as running wires through the cabin/trunk? Trying to decide if I can tackle this or I need to have it professionally installed. Sounds like I can do it. Thanks for all the help guys.
Old 11-03-16, 07:46 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

The only wire that NEEDS to be run into the cabin is if you're adding a second media unit on the video 1 channel, as I did (the Asus Media Player). I decided not the run the wire and instead added a wireless RF switch that mounts in the trunk and can be toggled on the key fob keychain. Otherwise, if you only want the backup camera to activate when you shift into reverse, all the connections occur in the trunk near the DVD player. You will have to remove all the trunk dressing pieces. In making the connections to the DVD harness wire, I would suggest using T-taps (easily found at Home Depot), but then also using electrical tape over each tap to secure it in place. This is my suggestion, I'm sure others will have more.
sideswipe (12-19-16)
Old 11-03-16, 08:17 AM
sideswipe
Pole Position

Great, thanks for the info. Is removing the trunk dressing pretty straightforward? I've removed the front radio pieces before to add my VAISTECH, so I know how to do that. Is there anything else I should know? I think I'm going to tackle this tomorrow.
Old 11-03-16, 02:42 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by sideswipe
Great, thanks for the info. Is removing the trunk dressing pretty straightforward? I've removed the front radio pieces before to add my VAISTECH, so I know how to do that. Is there anything else I should know? I think I'm going to tackle this tomorrow.
start reading at post 15, it shows my backup camera install to include where I pulled power for the camera.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...placement.html
sideswipe (12-19-16)
Old 11-03-16, 09:29 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 544 Likes on 413 Posts

Sideswipe, basically how I did mine:
1. Remove the trunk dressing.
2. Install the back up camera to the license plate. Feed the power wires and camera video wire thru hole in the back pane to the trunk area. You don't have to drill the hole, there is one on the right side.
3. Run a wire from the back up light (remove the light bulb and insert wire to socket then replace the light bulb) to the camera positive, the camera negative wire to the chassis (ground). Also use this wire connect to trigger wire (blue wire) on the Naviks.
4. Unplug the 10 pin connector from the back of the NAV and plug in the Naviks connector to the NAV, then plug the NAV connector to the other connector of the Naviks.
5. Power the Naviks by spice to pin 18 (gray wire) of the DVD connector. Test the camera in reverse.
6. Dress wires, double-sided tape the Naviks to the floor (not on top of the NAV, you won't be able to install the trunk dressing.)
7. Install the trunk dressing.

Related links:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...s-install.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...ictures-2.html (read post #27, there is PDF files with pics)

Last edited by GmanSC; 11-14-16 at 10:22 PM.
sideswipe (12-19-16)
Old 11-11-16, 10:15 AM
sblevins
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi guys, I am sick of banging my head against the wall with my current backup camera - a Pioneer hooked up to my Pioneer NEX4200 stereo. It only works about 40% of the time, and I have taken it back to the Best Buy Geek Squad installers twice to get them to fix it and I give up. So I'm going to just buy the NAVIKS and a new backup camera and have them installed instead and the other one taken out. Does anyone have a recommendation for someone in the Los Angeles area that can do this for me? I was going to try Al and Ed's to see if they would do it since I am not really keen on heading back to Best Buy. Or do any of you guys live locally and want to earn a couple hundred bucks?
Old 11-11-16, 07:59 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 544 Likes on 413 Posts

Sblevins, there is an establish in Sata Ana, namely Harbor Sound, where I had my windows tinted. They also do DVDs, stereos and back up cams. They're very busy while I was there so they must be good.
Why don't you give them a call.
Harbor Sound
1014 Harbor Blvd., Santa Ana, CA 90703
(714) 835-4060
Old 11-12-16, 06:26 AM
sblevins
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by GmanSC
Sblevins, there is an establish in Sata Ana, namely Harbor Sound, where I had my windows tinted. They also do DVDs, stereos and back up cams. They're very busy while I was there so they must be good.
Why don't you give them a call.
Harbor Sound
1014 Harbor Blvd., Santa Ana, CA 90703
(714) 835-4060
Thanks for the recommendation.
Old 12-18-16, 08:32 PM
Mazor1
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been wanting a backup camera for such a long time and finally today I came across this thread. To JZDULEXUS, can you tell me why you purchased the specific backup camera that you did, and have you been happy with it. The photos you provided make the picture look so clear and with my ole eyes, that is what I am looking for.

I am about the least technical person in the world, but if the read the various replies on this thread it seems like all you need is the NAVICKS Interface which now appears to be $185 on their website, and something like this $33 backup camera that simply applies to the top of your rear license plate, run a few wires to the area near the DVD player in the trunk, and that's all to it. Am I missing something or is it really just this easy if the only thing that I want is the backup camera to come on the Nav screen when I put my car in reverse?

Thanks so much to everyone on this Forum. For me I have learned so, so much for what has quickly become my favorite car that I have ever owned. So much so that my wife now wants a white one, and I have an itch to purchase a black or matidor red one to leave at our condo in Florida.
Old 12-18-16, 08:43 PM
jzdulexus
Pole Position

I researched the backup camera for a while before I purchased this one and couldn't be happier. My criteria were three: largest sensor possible, which gives the best picture (I am an amateur photographer and I know sensor size is everything); least conspicuous look (I don't like the LED lights surrounding the camera and such); easy installation (the thin connector means that the line from the backup cam can go thru gaps with ease, no drilling or cutting).
As far as installation goes you can go to a local shop or call Naviks for support.

Quick Reply: back-up camera on 2006