SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

New plan for BT

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-17, 03:58 AM
mandyfig

Received 412 Likes on 363 Posts

Good question, I would like to know how it costs only $25 for this BT capability. 1st thing that needs to happen is to get an adapter to plug into the head unit for an input.

Then you can buy like a Bluetrip (Bluetooth wireless) for example that gives you the connection to the head unit.
Old 04-20-17, 03:55 PM
supergo94
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default plug and play bluetooth

Amazon Amazon
...My car had an input with a 3.5mm wire routed into my center console...From what i'm told its not difficult to add an external input at the back of the factory radio....been done many times just do a search.
Old 04-21-17, 06:26 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

You still need to buy adapter wire harness. Some one had to buy one and install in your car they don't come from factory that way.
Old 04-21-17, 08:50 AM
stevemcb
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I just purchased a ION audio cassette Bluetooth adapter. it simply plugs into your cassette and you have instant Bluetooth to play your music. You do not need any aux. plugs or connections. I have the cassette adapter with the plug in adapter currently and am switching over to this . They are about 20-25 dollars. I will let you know how it works but there are over 1400 reviews on Amazon. Some people never removed the plastic covering the play head so of course it would not sound good with a piece of plastic on the head. (Probably protects the head for shipping and handling).
Old 04-21-17, 09:08 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

I would be interested to know how the sound quality would be going through the tape input . Doubt it would be cd quality
Old 04-21-17, 09:18 AM
stevemcb
Driver

I am sure it will not be cd quality but more in the line of cassette as it runs off the play head of the cassette, but this is a inexpensive "fix" to playing music without any connections. My wired unit sounds decent but is a pain pluging into the headset jack of my iPhone as there is not a good place to put the iPhone plus as it is a little too big . I will give you some feedback next week.
Old 04-21-17, 09:48 AM
jzdulexus
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Steve, if you have 2007 SC why bother with a cassette connection. For 2005 after SC additional digital connections to the factory radio are easily available. In fact my Grom adds up to five digital sources --- smart phone, USB stick, aux, HD radio and satellite radio to the existing sources and they can all be invisible. I am only using two now--phone and USB stick. The phone is auto connected vie BT every time I enter the car and USB stick is hidden in the center console. Both are CD quality or better. And the great thing about these integrated digital connections is that you can control them, like skipping songs and selecting radio stations from your steering wheel too.
Old 04-21-17, 06:08 PM
stevemcb
Driver

You are 100% right. I will go that route. I just wanted something quick without taking the unit apart as I do not drive the SC as my primary vehicle. It looks like a fairly easy DYI .
Old 04-23-17, 11:19 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by jzdulexus
Steve, if you have 2007 SC why bother with a cassette connection. For 2005 after SC additional digital connections to the factory radio are easily available. In fact my Grom adds up to five digital sources --- smart phone, USB stick, aux, HD radio and satellite radio to the existing sources and they can all be invisible. I am only using two now--phone and USB stick. The phone is auto connected vie BT every time I enter the car and USB stick is hidden in the center console. Both are CD quality or better. And the great thing about these integrated digital connections is that you can control them, like skipping songs and selecting radio stations from your steering wheel too.
which grom unit did you choose? What additional cables did you get? How's the handsfree microphone work, if you purchased that also? I'm looking to change my Vaistech sl3u to grom so I can change track from steering controls.
Old 04-24-17, 08:17 AM
jzdulexus
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

I have Grom USB3. Since I have Android phone, I normally have the smart phone's phone BT routed to the SC's BT and its media BT routed to Grom's BT. So basically, you have two BT devices---SC and Grom--connected to your android phone at the same time. All of your factory functionalities still work (as SC is still connected just like factory), plus all the smart phone features like webradio, music and google voice search etc. In this scenario additional mic is not necessary. You can also route both phone BT and media BT to Grom. In that case you will need a mic. So for the whole setup you will need a USB3 unit and a Bluetooth dongle which generally comes with a mic.
IMO, steering control is nice but spending over $200 just to gain that additional feature seems a bit expensive.