SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Best bang for the buck, coilover or shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-16, 12:50 PM
BCT
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Best bang for the buck, coilover or shocks?

I just bought an 02 SC. The shocks will need to be replaced. The car will be daily driven, but I probably only drive 3K/year. I work from home, so daily driven is mostly weekend driving or picking up my son from school occasionally. I would not mind lowering the car a bit and firmer, better handling. Having said that, I do not want the ride to be rough. I have spent reading up different coilover, or just replacing the shocks with Bilstein, KYB etc.

I will be installing them myself. I am currently leaning toward Megan EZ coilover. Here are my thoughts, and please correct me if I am mistaken here:
- Coilover - all I need is to remove the old shock+springs then install the coilover. If I buy new shocks, I will need to install the new shocks that require spring compressor, which tbh kinda scares me lol. Cost wise, 4 shocks, plus labor cost for someone to install the shocks is not much cheaper than buying coilover and install them myself. I never buy a coilover before but I have installed shocks in different cars. I have the tools and can take my time to work slowly.
- Megan EZ coilover - damping is adjustable, and height is also adjustable. I am sure I can find a setting that pleased me (and the wife and kid).
- Reading some older posts, there are members who has had Megan for several years, with thousands of miles. I have not seen any complaints, such as they only last xx years. I will probably keep the car 5-10 year from now, unless I find a great deal on newer SC, so I am hoping for something that will last that long.
- Megain EZ coilover seems to be the cheaper option compare to other models/brands. I do not mind paying more, but I am not sure what I am gaining with the more expensive coilover. Again, the car is for daily drive, cruising around, not trying to take on a curve at 60 mph.

Any feedbacks are very appreciated.
Chris
Old 10-04-16, 01:58 PM
hlthlnk
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Congrats on the new SC430! I also have an 02 and love it. About 5 years ago I replaced my shocks with the megan EZ coilovers and would do it again if you asked me. I followed instructions I found on the forum and installed then myself. I felt it was not difficult to remove the old shocks and replace them with the coilovers. I would recommend having a good set of heavy duty tools including a breaker bar. Good luck
Old 10-04-16, 02:49 PM
Poqman
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

BCT, if you install Megans, then you need to consider how you will get to the rear ride adjustment *****. Before you remove the trunk interior, go under the car and transfer a mark where the center of the shock tower is below the trunk interior. That way you can drill a hole centered over the adjustment ****. Look at this link, thread #32 to see what I did. It worked out great.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...ictures-3.html

Good luck on your project.
Old 10-04-16, 04:38 PM
Tngo23
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was looking at Megan Springs only and not the entire CoilOver set......I hardly drive it but would like to drop it 1.25-1.5".....Thoughts?
Old 10-04-16, 05:29 PM
BCT
Advanced

@hlthlnk thanks and good to hear 5 years later you still happy with EZ coilover. Yep I got electric impact, pry bars, breaker bar (and a long pipe for cheater if needed). I think I should have everything I need.
@Poqman thanks for the tip. That is very clean install.
@Tngo23 Why Megan springs only? What will you use as the shocks? Would love to understand your thoughts and reasoning here.
Old 10-04-16, 05:38 PM
supergo94
Driver School Candidate

When lowering do you need to worry about any lights coming on like VSC trac or Headlight leveling? Gonna lower mine right away when I get it. Thanks
Old 10-04-16, 05:40 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

I did Tein Sports springs a few years ago & have had no issues, my drop is about 1.5-2 inches. I bought the springs from a forum member, because I wanted to lower it & he gave me a great deal. I've always planned to move up to coilovers, but just hadn't had any complaints in the ride, especially after doing the rear sway bar upgrade. I know the coilovers give you more flexibility in ride height & quality, but I've been satisfied with my setup. I may still do coilovers at some point, but not in a rush,unless I get a deal I can't pass up.

.....her's an older pic of my Sc, lowered on Tein Sports
Old 10-04-16, 05:45 PM
texsexlex
Racer

[QUOTE=supergo94;9639996]When lowering do you need to worry about any lights coming on like VSC trac or Headlight leveling? Gonna lower mine right away when I get it. Thanks[/QUOT

....Supergo you shouldn't have any issues, there is a leveling unit on the rear & front, but if you reconnect,exactly as you disconnect, then you won't have any problems with lights coming on
Old 10-04-16, 05:56 PM
Tngo23
Driver School Candidate

BCT....I want to keep stock Shocks/Struts to save $.....I know replacing the set with Coilovers will give me a better ride and handling.....Just thought I save $600-800.....
Old 10-04-16, 05:59 PM
Tngo23
Driver School Candidate

Looks good TexLex......I have an 06 so Tein does not have it for my ride.....I asked and every where I looked.....Tein for for 02-05 only.......I would think the Tein springs would fit an 06-10....Thoughts?
Old 10-04-16, 06:02 PM
texsexlex
Racer

.....I know there was some suspension upgrades done for 2006+, but didn't know it actually included the springs, although I did know the shocks were different
Old 10-05-16, 11:32 AM
BCT
Advanced

Originally Posted by Tngo23
BCT....I want to keep stock Shocks/Struts to save $.....I know replacing the set with Coilovers will give me a better ride and handling.....Just thought I save $600-800.....
Ah understood! My shocks are worn out so I have to replace them. Thanks!