SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Coilovers suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-16, 07:48 AM
My1998LS40
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Coilovers suggestions

Looks like my struts and springs are getting old that they're making squeaky noises over the bumps. Had a shop checked to make sure and they suggested replacing them. I've been wanting to do air ride but not a lot of good shops in town have done that before. (I live in a small town of Wichita, KS). So far by searching, most complete kits run around $4k or so without installation. Is that about right? How complicate is it to do the installation? And if I have a shop do it, how much would it normally run for basic install?

My second option was to purchase coilovers and put them in myself. Cheap and easy. But again, there are 4-5 brands out there and what would you guys suggest? Megan, D2, BC, K-Sport, etc? I want it mildly lowered and not too bouncy. What spring rates should I get?

Any advices will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!
Old 05-30-16, 08:32 AM
416tt
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

i am really happy with the BC coilovers i have car feels great!
Old 06-04-16, 11:07 PM
kuWuPt
Advanced

Received 93 Likes on 44 Posts

D2, I've had them on multiple cars and I've loved it. Also if you get the coilovers and you want to go air later you can swap the springs for bags and go that route later on if you wish. If you have any questions just send me a pm, not on here as often as I like.
Old 06-05-16, 02:06 PM
hlthlnk
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I installed Megan coil-overs about 4 years ago and I still like them. Keep in mind that I can only compare them to the original shocks i had on my 2002 sc430. I lowered the car about 2 inches and have the settings half way and really like the ride, not too bumpy.
i'm not a mechanic and feel that it was not very difficult doing the job myself. There are plenty of DIY's when you search this forum, study the pictures and follow the instructions and you will save plenty of money to add another modification to your car. Good luck!
Old 06-05-16, 03:42 PM
Poqman
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by hlthlnk
I installed Megan coil-overs about 4 years ago and I still like them. Keep in mind that I can only compare them to the original shocks i had on my 2002 sc430. I lowered the car about 2 inches and have the settings half way and really like the ride, not too bumpy.
i'm not a mechanic and feel that it was not very difficult doing the job myself. There are plenty of DIY's when you search this forum, study the pictures and follow the instructions and you will save plenty of money to add another modification to your car. Good luck!
+1, What he said. I installed Megans on my '02 and loved them and cost didn't break the bank.
Old 06-06-16, 08:45 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Guys, I'm a little confused. So I do want to swap to coilover also, and I see the kits from D2 and Megan and BC and have a few questions. In terms of parts, just buying one of these kits has all the parts, or do I need to buy springs separately? I was a little confused. I want to know exactly what I'm getting into as I have no experience with this realm of suspension. Additionally, what tools would be needed for a DIY coilover install? Would I be able to do it myself or would I have to have it done at a shop? Really low on expendable income at this time, and would rather spend the installation portion on quality coilovers and do it myself. Please let me know your thoughts. If MY19908LS does end up doing a coilover install and putting in the wrench time, a DIY write up would be really helpful to the entire forum (and myself), I think. Thanks in advance any helpful info. Good luck My1998LS.
Old 06-06-16, 10:38 AM
JM Auto Racing
Sponsor
CL Vendor - Starter

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

All 5 brands are very good however some are a little better than others.
We sell alot more of the BC and D2 because both brands stock their replacement parts where as Ksport and Megan have to be ordered. So if a strut blows on the Megan, it could be 4-6 weeks before you get a new one while they are always available at D2 and BC.

The D2 are 36 way adjustable where the BC are 30 way adjustable.
We have some really great deals on both brands so send me a PM and I can help you out!
1-855-998-8726
Old 06-06-16, 01:33 PM
Poqman
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
Guys, I'm a little confused. So I do want to swap to coilover also, and I see the kits from D2 and Megan and BC and have a few questions. In terms of parts, just buying one of these kits has all the parts, or do I need to buy springs separately? I was a little confused. I want to know exactly what I'm getting into as I have no experience with this realm of suspension. Additionally, what tools would be needed for a DIY coilover install? Would I be able to do it myself or would I have to have it done at a shop? Really low on expendable income at this time, and would rather spend the installation portion on quality coilovers and do it myself. Please let me know your thoughts. If MY19908LS does end up doing a coilover install and putting in the wrench time, a DIY write up would be really helpful to the entire forum (and myself), I think. Thanks in advance any helpful info. Good luck My1998LS.
Wil44 and I have both posted a DIY. Checkout my post at https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...r-install.html
Old 06-08-16, 05:12 PM
My1998LS40
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for all the replies. I ended up buying the BC coilovers. Will post pics once they're here.