SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Poor Man's Aux input

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-16, 02:40 PM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Poor Man's Aux input

There has been a lot of discussions of various options for Aux input on the SC430 radio, but I wanted to propose a very simple one.

All the necessary signals are located on the center connector on the back of the radio. This is the external CD changer port (5+7 connector). Currently only two wires occupy that space on the <2005 models. These are the IEBUS signals that goes on to the Navigation ECU. You will want to keep that connected.

So, anyway, you pick up a Y cable for about $12
Amazon.com: APPS2CAR Toyota Lexus Scion 5+7 Pin to 5+7 Pin & 5+7 Pin Y Cable Radio Wiring Harness For USB Adapter CD Changer Navigation Device (Y-TYT02): Automotive Amazon.com: APPS2CAR Toyota Lexus Scion 5+7 Pin to 5+7 Pin & 5+7 Pin Y Cable Radio Wiring Harness For USB Adapter CD Changer Navigation Device (Y-TYT02): Automotive

You can either plug the original cable into one end of the connector and cut off the other for the wiring, or cut off both connectors and just wire those IEBUS pins tothe single connector. Either way, we are not monkeying with those signals.

And an 3.5mm audio extension cable. Cut off one end (whether you want a female or male connector)

Usually you will find red, white, and a braided shield or black wire. The red is right audio, white is left audio, and the black or braided wire is your signal grounds (L-/R-)

All you want to do is connect your audio device L/R audio signal to the R+/L+ pins and their shields to the L-/R- pins. If you want to wire in a pre-amp (because a headphone output is not very strong) you even have the ACC line on this connector to get 12V

Now you simply tune to an empty AM channel. Even though there will be some static, your audio will override it and the radio will filter the static out.

Since the radio thinks you are on a radio station, the volume, bass, etc... controls still work. The disadvantage is that the radio goes up, of course.

You can do this also in tape mode, but at least on mine if there is no audio on the tape, the radio will eject it. CD mode could work if you made a CD with silence.

Certainly not the most elegant solution, but you can get Aux on your radio for about $15. No modding to your radio or wiring, and you can just pull it back out and return to normal.

If the above is not self-explanatory, let me know.
Old 05-07-16, 06:19 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

This is a great find and one that should help many!

Originally Posted by Retroplay
CD mode could work if you made a CD with silence.
Question: When adding an input using the adapter sold by VAIS Technology, the music source shows up as a new mode, "CD1" Is that something that could be achieved using your plan?
Old 05-07-16, 06:42 AM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JohnnyCake
This is a great find and one that should help many!

Question: When adding an input using the adapter sold by VAIS Technology, the music source shows up as a new mode, "CD1" Is that something that could be achieved using your plan?
Nope. With an adapter like VAIS, it talks to the vehicle network and emulates an external CD changer. That is the CD1 mode. It silences all other audio sources and depending on the model, also listens to the radio buttons and uses them to control your phone or other MP3 player. These have a microcontroller in them. There are plenty of DIY circuits to do this out there if someone is inclined to go that far.

With the poor man's mod, your radio is not aware of any external input and that is why you need to chose a mode with silence. The volume and everything works to control the amp, you are simply mixing your audio on top of the radio/CD/Tape, etc... which, if silent, means only your audio.

If all you want is an AUX input on your radio, this will do the trick.

I actually have all the parts to do this (actually, I have tested it already informally and it works great), and I need an aux input to hold me over until I finish the CarPC, so I am planning to put together some photo instructions hopefully later today.

Last edited by Retroplay; 05-07-16 at 06:46 AM.
Old 05-07-16, 07:31 AM
tuterz
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Take apart the head unit and you'll find these pins. R G L connect you 3.5mm cable to that. Put everything back together and bring the male end of the cable out.
Old 05-07-16, 07:55 AM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tuterz

Take apart the head unit and you'll find these pins. R G L connect you 3.5mm cable to that. Put everything back together and bring the male end of the cable out.
Yep. That will give you the exact same result. However, it requires taking apart the radio. Though you only need to remove the big cover and that is very simple, some people are reluctant to open their radio.

No need to take apart the radio for the mod I proposed.

Last edited by Retroplay; 05-07-16 at 08:00 AM.
Old 05-07-16, 08:13 AM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

To show you where the connector is that Tuterz is pointing out, here is my spare radio with the cover off already:

I circled where the connector is. I removed the pins on mine a while back.

It's really not all that scary to take that cover off if you prefer that route. There is no advantage or disadvantage to doing it either way, though. Same result.

Old 05-07-16, 08:24 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts

The video on it.
Old 05-07-16, 08:32 AM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Coleroad
Note that for the radio in the SC430, you do not need to remove the faceplate to get to that connector. Just the bottom cover.
Old 05-07-16, 08:35 AM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Either way you do this, this is optional but will make the audio from a headphone jack sound a lot better without having to crank up your radio volume. Recommended, but optional. It won't hurt anything if you do not build this, but you will probably need to max the volume on your phone and crank the radio up quite a bit to get a reasonable volume without it:

All this does is impedance match the output of the headphone jack for maximum power transfer.
Old 05-08-16, 09:55 AM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

The title is deceiving. The poor mans aux input is a tape adapter. To be quite honest the sound is pretty good if you get a good adapter.
Old 07-29-16, 05:20 PM
punklexus
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you looked at attaching bluetooth or USB adapter to it ?
Old 07-31-16, 04:26 PM
LEXZILLA
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Can I use this item with the Amazon adapter retroplay spoke of
Old 08-01-16, 03:14 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 460 Likes on 386 Posts

Here is an interesting find. It is a Bluetooth adapter for your cassette.
This allows your cassette player to interface with the music on your phone.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I3YLHAC/ref=pd_cp_0_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=6RK8YWVXR06MW1WK6JKC http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I3YLHAC/ref=pd_cp_0_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=6RK8YWVXR06MW1WK6JKC

I am not sure how it would work with the Built in Hands Free Phone system in the car, but I suspect there is maybe a setting on your phone that would let you select which Bluetooth does what.
Old 08-06-16, 08:14 AM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LEXZILLA

Can I use this item with the Amazon adapter retroplay spoke of
Sorry for the late replay. I actually bought two of those exact adapters because I thought the first one was just defective (and you get no customer service) but after the second one, I am convinced that it simply doesn't work with our radios. All the right hardware is in there, so it must be the software. My guess is that is using the wrong address for the head unit.

Well, technically, I bought the USB version that could play MP3s off from a flash drive, but it is really the same thing as this one (the board inside has layout variations for different types.)
Old 08-06-16, 11:29 AM
TarheelNic
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DashingDar
Here is an interesting find. It is a Bluetooth adapter for your cassette.
This allows your cassette player to interface with the music on your phone.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...VXR06MW1WK6JKC

I am not sure how it would work with the Built in Hands Free Phone system in the car, but I suspect there is maybe a setting on your phone that would let you select which Bluetooth does what.
I bought one of these ION BT Cassettes, to test it out on my '07, and it works well for what it is. The iPhone connects to it and to the car simultaneously, and the stock nav unit will mute the streaming audio (tape-deck) when a phone call comes in.
Battery life wasn't great, so I purchased a spare one that i keep charged in the lower console.

Hope that helps,

Quick Reply: Poor Man's Aux input