SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Took the SC out for some excercise. Came back with some toys

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-16, 10:24 AM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Took the SC out for some excercise. Came back with some toys

So, we had another melt here, with temps in the 30's, so I took the opportunity to get her out to stretch her legs. I decided that I was going to run out to my favorite electronics recycler that I like to check out now and then.

I found some interesting things that might come in handy for my SC projects.

First up is an RGB interface. Only $5. This converts VGA to RGB (and RGBs) I was planning to just make one myself, but for $5? Couldn't pass it up.

Next up is an older police car dashcam computer system. Not especially interesting as-is, but inside is a full-blown computer, backup battery, and a really nice interface card that can connect with the 12V vehicle signals as triggers, etc. So, with some new software, it can become pretty much whatever I want it be. Neato. Paid $8

Last edited by Retroplay; 01-23-16 at 10:37 AM.
Old 01-23-16, 10:35 AM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

To explain the first one a little better, it would be used to translate a computer VGA signal to the RGBs format used by the NAV display in the SC. It includes some smarts to stabilize the signal and provide adjustment it if needed.
Old 01-23-16, 11:04 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Sweet! We need to come up with a name for your car. It's like Back to the Future and Mr. Fusion Home Energy Reactor.
Old 01-23-16, 11:10 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

interesting police cam computer! I like all the I/O. I rarely see COM ports anymore
Old 01-23-16, 11:32 AM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jadu
interesting police cam computer! I like all the I/O. I rarely see COM ports anymore
Yeah. I doubt that it will actually end up in the car because it is quite a bit outdated. It has a VIA Mini-ITX fanless computer inside running off a compactflash card (probably a version of Linux). I'm going to guess it's probably about a 400-600Mhz processor circa 2004/2005.

It had 512MB RAM in it, I installed another 512MB. Working on figuring out how to power and turn on the dang thing right now.

I doubt it is something I am going to find a manual for. The interface card has a ton of video switchers/integrators, audio switching, etc.. There are a ton of jumpers for settings and a set of DIP switches, all unlabeled.

Just something to toy around with, I guess. I'm a nerd, this is what I call fun.
Old 01-23-16, 11:33 AM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JohnnyCake
Sweet! We need to come up with a name for your car. It's like Back to the Future and Mr. Fusion Home Energy Reactor.

I am open to suggestions. I do need a name for the voice recognition system.
Old 01-23-16, 11:34 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyCake
How about HABIOUS THE 2ND
Old 01-23-16, 11:51 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

I recently tried to change my Google voice app to Jarvis from Iron Man. Didn't work. Would be so cool if the Nav Voice in SC430 was Jarvis... thus Jarvis would fit accordingly.
Old 01-23-16, 12:07 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 858 Likes on 689 Posts

How about Jarvis and Edgar for the two of them!

Then again, with the police computer, it could be Adam-12
Old 01-23-16, 12:07 PM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
I recently tried to change my Google voice app to Jarvis from Iron Man. Didn't work. Would be so cool if the Nav Voice in SC430 was Jarvis... thus Jarvis would fit accordingly.
GMTA. I actually grabbed a few Jarvis themes for RainMeter.

Well, the main fuse is blown in the Cop computer, which means something downstream is blown. Just something in one of the various power supplies most likely; should be fairly simple to fix.

I should have pointed out that often the stuff at the electronics recycler were brought there because they are not working (hence why so cheap). I head up there every now and then and come up with home stereo systems, big-screen TVs, projectors, etc... and then fix them to sell them.

Sometimes stuff works and they just have no way to test it. So it is a gamble sometimes. Most stuff I've gotten there was very simple to fix.

Anyway, I did discover that it is running XP embedded, not linux.

We'll get it fixed up later and I'll see how much I can learn about how it works. As I said, probably not going to end up in the SC, but maybe I'll put it in the winter-beater Hyundai. Or maybe sell it after I fix it.
Old 01-23-16, 12:09 PM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Bgw70
How about Jarvis and Edgar for the two of them!

Then again, with the police computer, it could be Adam-12
Edgar? Is that a nerd reference I don't know?

Habious II (haha)
Old 01-24-16, 08:28 AM
TarheelNic
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Retroplay
To explain the first one a little better, it would be used to translate a computer VGA signal to the RGBs format used by the NAV display in the SC. It includes some smarts to stabilize the signal and provide adjustment it if needed.
Retro: Have you located/purchased a higher Resolution Nav screen LCD that accepts RGBs ---to use with the Xtron, or are you currently sticking with the 480i stock unit?
Old 01-24-16, 08:48 AM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TarheelNic
Retro: Have you located/purchased a higher Resolution Nav screen LCD that accepts RGBs ---to use with the Xtron, or are you currently sticking with the 480i stock unit?
Most modern VGA controllers can accept RGBs by simply putting the composite sync signal on the Horizontal Sync line of the VGA port. They are now able to autodetect all sorts of configurations. In fact, the existing LCD controller is doing just that. That means that any newer LCD controller with VGA input would work as far as that is concerned.

However, it is not as simple as that. The menu interface for the brightness, contrast, backlight on/off, etc.. is controlled by the main board in the nav display. So simply dropping in a new LCD and controller won't work. It would require finding a way to interface all the control signals from the main board.

I am aiming to replace the NAV display completely, but I am (still) debating whether to keep the original NAV ECU. I am leaning towards just removing it completely.

The disadvantage to trying to keep the original NAV is a great deal of reverse engineering to interface with the touchscreen and handle the communications over the AVC-LAN bus to the NAV ECU.

I don't see many disadvantages to removing it.
Old 01-24-16, 09:05 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

It would be really awesome if there was a way to connect our phones (iPhone/Android) that would incorporate the touch aspect with a screen mirroring setup. That way touching the OEM Nav screen (or upgraded replacement) would mimic a click on the phone without actually having to pull the phone out. Not sure what this is called but I'm sure the idea is out there for aftermarket systems. Right now I have screen mirroring but I still have to take my phone out to type addresses, return texts, etc (but usually I use voice command via OkGoogle, works usually 75% of the time I try). Or as Retro has planned a stand alone CarPC that incorporates these aspects, would be awesome, but reproducible for everyone that isn't a tech genius like Retro (respect where respect is due).
Old 01-24-16, 09:16 AM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
It would be really awesome if there was a way to connect our phones (iPhone/Android) that would incorporate the touch aspect with a screen mirroring setup. That way touching the OEM Nav screen (or upgraded replacement) would mimic a click on the phone without actually having to pull the phone out. Not sure what this is called but I'm sure the idea is out there for aftermarket systems. Right now I have screen mirroring but I still have to take my phone out to type addresses, return texts, etc (but usually I use voice command via OkGoogle, works usually 75% of the time I try). Or as Retro has planned a stand alone CarPC that incorporates these aspects, would be awesome, but reproducible for everyone that isn't a tech genius like Retro (respect where respect is due).

I have seen AM units out there that supposedly can do that, but they all seem limited to 06+. I am guessing because CAN bus is present in 06 and up which maybe makes it easier to intercept the touchscreen coordinates. Not sure the reason exactly.

I appreciate the compliment, but I make far too many mistakes to be called a genius. More of a maverick engineer.

To maybe settle my internal debate over keeping the stock NAV system, can anyone think of a good reason to keep it? Maybe it's just a fear of losing a feature I don't know about.

Quick Reply: Took the SC out for some excercise. Came back with some toys