SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

2003 sc430 remote start and roof

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-15, 04:21 PM
noroolz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 sc430 remote start and roof

hi guys, bought the car about a month ago and looking to get a remote start and remote roof opening and closing installed, i am Ny, does anyone knows where i can get this done? thanks
Old 11-05-15, 05:15 PM
vietpr1nce
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You will need to purchase a product called LUXLINK. Not sure if they still make them but you maybe able to find someone selling it in the classified.
Old 11-06-15, 04:56 AM
FlopTop04
Advanced

Received 209 Likes on 103 Posts

LuxLink might be hard to find. They sometimes make a special run of units but for the most part
you will have to see if someone has an extra, unused unit for sale.

There is a way to install a full featured after-market unit ( like the Viper 4706V ) that will do almost
everything the LuxLink will. Here is a link to that install on my 2004 SC430 :
http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/...asp?tid=131859

Here are some differences between the two systems :
FOB's
Viper -- Separate remotes
LuxLink -- Uses the factory key FOB
Discussion : The Viper remotes are an extra item to carry around. The Viper remotes are two-way
and confirm your commands. The Viper remotes give you up to 1 miles range.
Using the factory remotes, you are limited to their ( short ) range. There is a bit of a
learning curve to get the button sequence and timing correct for certain commands
with LuxLink and the factory remotes.

Door Locks
Viper -- Can operate door locks while engine is running
LuxLink -- After car is remote started, you must actually use your key to unlock the door.
Discussion : Factory FOBs are locked out while the engine is running ( a Toyota thing ). After-market
systems can be installed and set up to operate the door locks with the engine is running.
There is a way to press buttons quickly to get the doors unlocked as you remote start the
car using LuxLink but the car will be unlocked during the warm up period.

Top operations via console switch
Viper -- Hold the button
LuxLink -- Press the button twice
Discussion : This is a real nice LuxLink feature that can't be done ( easily ) with an after-market system.
Just press the Top open or close button twice and the LuxLink handles the rest. No need to hold the button
for 22 seconds. As an added bonus, if you do this as you leave the car parked, it will shutdown the engine
after the top is closed and the windows are up. ( You can do this manually with the Viper by parking, going
into pit stop mode, pressing the Viper Function key for Top Close, walking away and pressing the engine
stop button after 22 seconds. )

Total Closure
Viper -- Can be set up to happen with a lock command
LuxLink -- NA
Discussion : While the engine is off, a lock command will also roll up the windows the same way you can if
you turn the key in the drivers door to lock and hold it there ( for about 5 seconds ). The Viper can also
be set up to vent the car by rolling down the windows while the engine is off via another programmed
AUX button on the Viper remote.

There are other differences. If you can find a LuxLink ( ~ $300+ ) the install is pretty easy. It comes with
an ignition T-harness but you must give up a key or the flat-key chip for the transponder bypass. Not sure
what a professional installer will charge for the install but I think I have heard $400 is common. A Viper
4706V install using a No-Key-Required bypass module is probably around $700 but prices vary with the
extra options desired.
Old 11-06-15, 09:18 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

I have the LuxLink version 2.0. Best investment I have made in my SC. Unfortunately, I will say that they are not being produced by Steve at LuxuryMotorwerks out of California, anymore. I found one from a previous member here on the forum that was selling his spare. As I indicated, there are different versions and not all have the same options. For example, version 1.0 was only the remote start. Version 2.0 was the remote start and remote top up/down. Version 3.0 added the single button top up/down from the OEM console button. As I only have version 2.0, I only have the remote start and remote top up/down. I do not have the single button push console feature. There is an additional add-on feature called QuarterWindow mod which allows the driver to lower/raise the quarter windows to give the Sc430 a true cabriolet feel. Anyway, the above mentioned description is pretty accurate except for a few things, that I will say may be in part due to the different versions. Following the above layout, I will indicate these differences that I have noticed.

1. Fobs- 100% accurate.

2. Door Locks- after I do the key sequence, i have 5 seconds to hit UNLOCK either once or twice to unlock the driver or passenger door, respectively. Anything after that you must use the key to unlock the driver's door. If you turn the key towards the nose of car, it will shut down the car. If you turn the key towards the rear once, it will unlock drivers door; turn key toward rear twice it will unlock driver and passenger door. This is a safety feature, so thieves can't enter the car if you're taking extra time to get to your car (ie. in the winter I used to start my car from my window and then walk out after a good amount of the snow was melted- no one can get in my car while I'm not watching the car). Also, after 15 minutes, the car will automatically turn off (or naturally if the BRAKE is pressed without the key in the ignition--- ie. the shifter can't be moved without the brake being pressed).

3.Console switch- One touch push is not available on my version, but is part of Version 3.0

4. Total closure- I can use the same key sequence that I use to drop the top, which will put the top back up and ends with windows rolled up. The car does remain unlocked but I usually physically flip the door lock on the interior of the car and walk away. My car is set for auto alarm engage after a few minutes. If you hold the UNLOCK button for a few seconds longer than the audible beep from the car, it will only roll the windows down or up without starting the top up/down sequence.

It is absolutely true that you will need a separate transponder chip for the remote start feature. I used my wallet key transponder since my wallet key holder was broken. My installation was first quoted at $400 and two days at a place in Texas that was supported by LuxuryMotorwerks after I purchased the unit. I contacted my local audio shop and met a guy who was very experienced with data kits installs (which is what the LuxLink is in essence), and he did the install after reading the directions I supplied in four hours and $250 (if I recall correctly). Best deal and installation I could imagine. I have heard of other installation places that said they have never heard of LuxLink but do have comparable data kits that they can program to do the same things that LuxLink does. So if you're unable to find a LuxLink, you can possibly question local audio installers to make you a custom data kit. Just a thought. Good luck.

Last edited by ShawnOk; 11-06-15 at 09:26 AM.
Old 11-07-15, 08:21 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
I have the LuxLink version 2.0. Best investment I have made in my SC. Unfortunately, I will say that they are not being produced by Steve at LuxuryMotorwerks out of California, anymore. I found one from a previous member here on the forum that was selling his spare. As I indicated, there are different versions and not all have the same options. For example, version 1.0 was only the remote start. Version 2.0 was the remote start and remote top up/down. Version 3.0 added the single button top up/down from the OEM console button. As I only have version 2.0, I only have the remote start and remote top up/down. I do not have the single button push console feature. There is an additional add-on feature called QuarterWindow mod which allows the driver to lower/raise the quarter windows to give the Sc430 a true cabriolet feel. Anyway, the above mentioned description is pretty accurate except for a few things, that I will say may be in part due to the different versions. Following the above layout, I will indicate these differences that I have noticed.

1. Fobs- 100% accurate.

2. Door Locks- after I do the key sequence, i have 5 seconds to hit UNLOCK either once or twice to unlock the driver or passenger door, respectively. Anything after that you must use the key to unlock the driver's door. If you turn the key towards the nose of car, it will shut down the car. If you turn the key towards the rear once, it will unlock drivers door; turn key toward rear twice it will unlock driver and passenger door. This is a safety feature, so thieves can't enter the car if you're taking extra time to get to your car (ie. in the winter I used to start my car from my window and then walk out after a good amount of the snow was melted- no one can get in my car while I'm not watching the car). Also, after 15 minutes, the car will automatically turn off (or naturally if the BRAKE is pressed without the key in the ignition--- ie. the shifter can't be moved without the brake being pressed).

3.Console switch- One touch push is not available on my version, but is part of Version 3.0

4. Total closure- I can use the same key sequence that I use to drop the top, which will put the top back up and ends with windows rolled up. The car does remain unlocked but I usually physically flip the door lock on the interior of the car and walk away. My car is set for auto alarm engage after a few minutes. If you hold the UNLOCK button for a few seconds longer than the audible beep from the car, it will only roll the windows down or up without starting the top up/down sequence.

It is absolutely true that you will need a separate transponder chip for the remote start feature. I used my wallet key transponder since my wallet key holder was broken. My installation was first quoted at $400 and two days at a place in Texas that was supported by LuxuryMotorwerks after I purchased the unit. I contacted my local audio shop and met a guy who was very experienced with data kits installs (which is what the LuxLink is in essence), and he did the install after reading the directions I supplied in four hours and $250 (if I recall correctly). Best deal and installation I could imagine. I have heard of other installation places that said they have never heard of LuxLink but do have comparable data kits that they can program to do the same things that LuxLink does. So if you're unable to find a LuxLink, you can possibly question local audio installers to make you a custom data kit. Just a thought. Good luck.
On the last batch steve made he changed the timing for the remote start and remote top sequence
There also was a bug in the prior version[ the one I still have ] That if you used your 1/4 window mod to go up or down. The next time you would just remote start the engine the top would go down. He fixed this bug in the last version.

I was not aware that he made the top up down a one button press. First I heard of this. I am trying to understand what is the benefit of that over the double press ?

I did buy one of the last batch he made as a spare but I never installed it I just wanted to have a back up in case my first unit went bad.
Old 11-07-15, 09:37 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by mrblister
On the last batch steve made he changed the timing for the remote start and remote top sequence
There also was a bug in the prior version[ the one I still have ] That if you used your 1/4 window mod to go up or down. The next time you would just remote start the engine the top would go down. He fixed this bug in the last version.

I was not aware that he made the top up down a one button press. First I heard of this. I am trying to understand what is the benefit of that over the double press ?

I did buy one of the last batch he made as a spare but I never installed it I just wanted to have a back up in case my first unit went bad.
I'm sorry, I'm calling it single press but it's literally a double press. I'm counting it as one "additional" press.
Old 11-07-15, 10:06 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
I'm sorry, I'm calling it single press but it's literally a double press. I'm counting it as one "additional" press.
I use a single press sometimes and hold it down so I can lube the hinges etc and clean the rear window this way I can stop the roof where I want. In order for the top to work down or up with out holding is to press button twice in succession. But you already knew this
Old 11-10-15, 09:29 AM
noroolz
Driver School Candidate

thank u guys for the input, very much appreciated
Old 11-11-15, 05:49 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

How about this one?
Old 11-11-15, 06:00 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Here is a review of three systems, not sure if they all control the roof...I will leave that up to you to do your research and report back.
Old 11-11-15, 08:40 AM
ogjohnsmit
Rookie

I currently don’t have the time but I been thinking of a solution with a combination of Advanced Key and PAC TR-7.

The Advanced Key takes the place of your factory key so you need only the Advanced Key FOB. You could combine the Smart Entry + Push Start system with the Advanced Key Auto Window Closer Module and the PAC TR-7 timed trigger module.

In theory it could work something like this; you would press the remote start on your Advance Key Smart Card, then press the window open/close button on your Smart Card which would trigger the PAC TR-7 for say 30 seconds to drop the top. When you get close to the car, the Smart Card would automatically unlock your doors, than you just get in and drive away.

Sounds simple enough in theory…

http://www.advancedkeys.com/Prod_AK105B.html
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
tr-7_instructions_010505.pdf (575.7 KB, 249 views)
File Type: pdf
remote start and top.pdf (558.1 KB, 340 views)

Last edited by ogjohnsmit; 11-11-15 at 09:51 AM.
Old 11-11-15, 09:09 AM
noroolz
Driver School Candidate

Default roof

[QUOTE=Bgw70;9249159]Here is a review of three systems, not sure if they all control the roof...I will leave that up to you to do your research and report back.[/QUOTE. I saw this on YouTube the only question is if I would need to add a module to it.
Old 11-11-15, 06:15 PM
FlopTop04
Advanced

Received 209 Likes on 103 Posts

You can do a lot with the Viper remote starter and a full feature install. Here is a post from fellow ClubLexus member Turbo819 with his upgrade. Starts at post #29 and goes thru post #34 with both our cars.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...y-sc430-2.html