SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Takata air bag recall....survey

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-15, 07:22 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by iolmaster
Clearly someone is wrong here. Most people are saying that the dash does not have to be removed. Others say it does. Slingshot has an 06 like mine and the tech that did mine said they took out the seat and went in from under the dash. When I spoke to the dealer in Florida (I had mind done in North Carolina) he said with a safety recall they do not have any discretion in how it is done. They are required to perform the repair in the manner Lexus details. Of course this is to keep the lawyers happy. I have no idea why you would choose to remove the dash when clearly there is an alternative.
I'm guessing Lexus came up with "remove the dash" as "best practice" but someone figured out the glove compartment short cut, which apparently works just fine. Because they receive a flat fee from Lexus based on the more time consuming "remove the dash" option, the glove compartment could be a real bonus for the dealer.

I got an email reply from my service writer today -- he said they have done both and would check what their current practice is and get back to me.
Old 09-02-15, 04:07 AM
2ksoftail
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

1. 2004
2. Through Glove Box
3. Antenna halfway down
4. 5 Hrs
5. 2015 RX, NO fuel

*****They recommended I have timing belt replaced, $740: I said maybe later****************

Last edited by 2ksoftail; 09-02-15 at 04:13 AM. Reason: Add info
Old 09-02-15, 08:05 AM
kjcole
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just set up my appointment for next week with Lexus of the Quad Cities (Iowa-Illinois border). They confirmed that they access the air bag through the glove box route (and they are rather proud of taking what they call the 'smarter' approach). Loaner, tank of gas, 5 1/2 hours are planned.
Old 09-02-15, 09:22 AM
inscents41
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Had my 2006 done last Thursday, picked it up on Friday. Did it from underneath. Clean, neat job. Got loaner and full tank of gas. Prestige Lexus, Ramsey NJ.
Old 09-02-15, 09:39 AM
Slingshot1
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Picked up mine today, dealer called last night at 4:30 saying replacement was done but the wash rack was backed up. Told them I could pick it up this morning. They're sticking to their story of removing the dash, car looks great, washed with a full tank of gas. No rattles, scratches or dings and everthing works. Great job Kuni Lexus! Loaner was a 2015 RX 350.

Last edited by Slingshot1; 09-03-15 at 06:16 AM.
Old 09-02-15, 10:52 AM
editordz
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Greater Los Angeles Area

I tried three different dealers so far. Keys in Van Nuys says they're removing the dash. Glendale says they can do it from underneath, but the service rep and the tech I talked to didn't inspire confidence. Woodland Hills never even responded to my inquiry.

Has anyone gotten it done from underneath in the great Los Angeles area?
Old 09-02-15, 11:13 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

This is an interesting thread as I am looking into this. I decided to email a few local dealers in addition to my regular. Sheehy Lexus of Annapolis (MD) indicates that they do the glove box method, but do NOT remove the passenger's seat. Rather, they lay it all the way back and the tech works like that. Must be a small guy!
Old 09-02-15, 11:44 AM
430keeper
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't let them lay the passenger's seat all the way back....it strains the seat motors, and will probably leave
a seat mark on your "back seat" cushion.
Old 09-08-15, 09:29 PM
430keeper
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More on Takata airbag recall installation....

My Lexus service adviser shed some more light on the way they
go about replacing the passenger air bag per the recall. They
said removing the dash is safer for the technician so the air bag
module doesn't trigger and go off by accident. The glove box method is not
as safe. I believe them. So I'll be taking mine in soon. Be sure
to take pictures of the odometer and all the dash instruments,
climate control panel, stereo panel, and navigation screen to have on record that
there were no "trouble lights" before the dash is removed.
Old 09-09-15, 02:38 PM
2ksoftail
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Update

Just got back from North Lake Lexus, Charlotte, NC, repairing antenna damaged during bag recall. Couldn't ask for better service. 2015 RX loaner, installed NEW antenna, washed & filled with fuel(at my suggestion). RX is wife's next car for sure......love the mirror warning & joystick controller.
Old 10-19-19, 10:34 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Had my first airbag recall replacement back in 2015...they just issued a new airbag inflator replacement on 10-17-19.
received an email a few minutes ago...called Lexus and the parts are on order.
time to go drive a new Lexus!!!
hope they give me a tank of gas again! ;-)

this recall is for my 2002, the 2007 is still okay

Last edited by Bgw70; 10-19-19 at 10:39 AM.
Old 10-19-19, 11:03 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Wow, I'm surprised that they took so long. My second one was done a long time ago.
Old 10-20-19, 05:37 AM
ivanj
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Recall and 2019 loaners

I just had my 2002 passenger airbag done recently; after the service somehow the passenger side door came out of alignment, and the battery was reconnected improperly. I had to turn around and take the car back. Had to leave the car again. Closest alternate dealer is another hour away in a higher tax state. They wanted to charge me $0,20/ mile over 30 miles until I pointed out the terms and conditions of a recall. Thankfully they have waived the loaner charge in the future. Note this was the second time the passenger airbag was recalled.

As far as loaners go they gave me a 2019 IS and then an ES350. Not impressed. Either one could be any generic Japanese car if not for the Lexus badging. The seats do not have the size or support of a MB. The service assistant could not explain the controls or the NAV system. This radar cruise control almost got me in an accident since it slows the car down suddenly, and I almost got rear ended. The ES was front wheel drive, I believe.

The interior was quiet on the ES except for the infamous Bridgestone tire noise. I did not try the sound system. The suspension was acceptably firm but bottomed out over frost heaves. The service advisor could not explain what the Sport settings did to the suspension, motor, etc. The car tended to wander if I took my hands off the wheel in a straight line. As a driver I did not feel connected to the driving experience by the car or the service assistant. Oh, the first service assistant told me my 2002 was obsolete and I should get a new car.

On the plus side I did like the large navigation display and the fact I could give it some voice commands rather than playing with an oversensitive track pad whilst driving. It also did not have a dreaded pano roof.

The ES350 reminded me of getting in a French car, completely alien environment.

Last edited by ivanj; 10-20-19 at 05:45 AM.
Old 10-20-19, 07:19 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by ivanj
Oh, the first service assistant told me my 2002 was obsolete and I should get a new car.
Wow, that's pretty rude for a service adviser. Also kind of surprising because you'd expect a service guy to be one who keeps a car a long time and tinkers on it, along with being a car guy. (A car guy would never say to replace a car because it's old, unless he is the car guy who only buys new and sells within 3 years.)
Old 10-21-19, 06:32 AM
ivanj
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Not all service advisors are "car guys"

Originally Posted by Harold57
Wow, that's pretty rude for a service adviser. Also kind of surprising because you'd expect a service guy to be one who keeps a car a long time and tinkers on it, along with being a car guy. (A car guy would never say to replace a car because it's old, unless he is the car guy who only buys new and sells within 3 years.)
Due to being in the northeast there is a demographic of service advisers that are hired to appeal to the "aspirationals" They are definitely NOT car guys - or gals. Their idea of an oil change requires calling Whole Foods first. This first adviser had never seen a SC430 before - I guess most were sold in the warmer climates....

However, I had a talk with the service director who is a "car guy" - he was at the Lexus IMSA races at our local track - who assigned me to a service advisor who was a tech for 9 years. This new guy is definitely a car guy - he wears his old service uniform, not Ralph Lauren.

If your service adviser actually knows something about servicing you are very lucky but I have always had to seek them out.

Last edited by ivanj; 10-21-19 at 06:35 AM.