SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Brake, ABS, VSC, VSC off (dash lights),no speedometer, steering difficult

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-15, 11:26 AM
emg2919
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Brake, ABS, VSC, VSC off (dash lights),no speedometer, steering difficult

2002 SC430, 150,950 miles.
Searched for some answers, but getting multiple ideas/answers.

Backstory:
Had new front brake pads, re-surfaced rotors, new windshield fluid level sensor installed, 4 x wheels balanced and rotated on 8/11 at Lexus Dealer. Picked it up 8/13, drove 30 miles and it sat 8/14-8/16. Drove to work on 8/17, and on the 18 mile freeway trip home yesterday, the Brake and ABS dash lights came on as I was making a gradual left turn with damp roads.

Thought nothing of it initially, thought my knee had hit the e-brake as mine is very touchy and as long as you pull the release, the light goes away. Not this time. The Brake and ABS lights were on for 4 minutes, then eventually the VSC and VSC OFF dash lights also came on. Steering became difficult, checked brake fluid (ok), checked power steering fluid (ok). No leaks underneath, all fluid levels were just checked on 8/11 and were fine/topped off.

Parked it, set up an appointment and just dropped it off this AM. I am curious if anyone has dealt with this, and what I can expect? I've read brake booster, speed sensor, alternator, skid control unit (?).

I am hoping it's just the alternator, which makes sense with the difficult steering and the lights going on one by one. If the alternator isn't outputting enough volts, those lights will trip. I've had all O2 sensors recently replaced, other standard preventative maintenance done (timing belt, thermo, etc). I'm just hoping it's something manageable and not something that makes me wonder if the repair is worth it (vs the value of the car)...

Thanks for the input!

There are no CEL lights, just the above (no codes to my knowledge).
Old 08-19-15, 03:15 PM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Sorry to hear about this it can be so stressful! First thing to do is to reset the ecu. Fully disconnect the battery for at least 20 minutes. Many times problems go away in our cars just from doing this. If that doesn't work, check for coded using a obd2 reader. We should definetly be able to help you if you find a stored code in the computer.
Old 08-19-15, 03:17 PM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Correction: probably want to read codes first since the ecu reset will erase. You can go to autozone and they will do it for free. If you find a code, report back and we will help. If not, reset the ecu!
Old 08-20-15, 06:20 AM
emg2919
Pit Crew

I already dropped her off at the dealership, awaiting to hear back from what they think the issue is. I'll report back what they tell me, and what it ends up being.
Old 09-06-17, 04:45 PM
inlinedave
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What did the dealer say? I have all those lights on as well on my '02 sc430, and they all came on at the same time or within a few days
The following users liked this post:
jsavant1 (01-15-19)
Old 09-06-17, 06:47 PM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 181 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by inlinedave
What did the dealer say? I have all those lights on as well on my '02 sc430, and they all came on at the same time or within a few days
You did look at the date of the last post, right?
Old 09-07-17, 05:06 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 462 Likes on 387 Posts

The VSC off and VSC lights come on just about any time you have a dash light on. It is sort of Lexus' way of getting your attention. Once you fix the brake problem, the VSC lights usually go off
Old 09-08-17, 05:46 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 858 Likes on 689 Posts

hope your not a one and done poster...

have you had any maintenance done to the car recently?
Old 09-08-17, 07:45 AM
emg2919
Pit Crew

Default Update

A little update:

i ended up trying to reset the ecu with a paper clip, but it didn't take.

replaced power steering pump and picked up a used ecu and had it re flashed to my car. Since then it's been great.

I think the power steering pump that was replaced I think was due to the faulty ecu but I had them do it anyways.

Also had new ac condenser, compressor installed.

Need valve cover gasket to be replaced but I just tightened it for now.

only other issue is a clunk/clank noise from the front when I turn at slow speeds over a bump. Probably bushings of the control arms maybe?

Long story short the ecu was replaced and flashed to my car. But those lights come on after a balance. Could be odd timing or because of something else.
Old 09-08-17, 08:06 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 181 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by emg2919
A little update:

i ended up trying to reset the ecu with a paper clip, but it didn't take.

replaced power steering pump and picked up a used ecu and had it re flashed to my car. Since then it's been great.

I think the power steering pump that was replaced I think was due to the faulty ecu but I had them do it anyways.

Also had new ac condenser, compressor installed.

Need valve cover gasket to be replaced but I just tightened it for now.

only other issue is a clunk/clank noise from the front when I turn at slow speeds over a bump. Probably bushings of the control arms maybe?

Long story short the ecu was replaced and flashed to my car. But those lights come on after a balance. Could be odd timing or because of something else.
If you are referring to a tire balance in your last line, tires out of balance will not turn lights on in the dash.
Old 09-08-17, 10:15 AM
emg2919
Pit Crew

Sorry, I was on mobile for that post.

I realize the tire balance wouldn't turn on dash lights, but my initial thought and inclination was that while they were doing rotors, pads, tire rotation, that they bumped a sensor on the wheel, causing the lights to go off.

The ECU could have gone bad, at the same time of the work done on the wheels and tires, I just thought it was suspect because of the timing - within <30 miles the lights went off.

New (used) ECU, flashed. New power steering pump (steering was also difficult after these lights went on) - couldnt hurt.

I now have 165K on it - a/c components replaced and have ice cold AC, everything else has been great. My only outstanding issue is a clank/noise that happens when I turn the wheel real far one way or the other and/or go over a curb of some sort. I think it's control arm bushings or control arms? I will be looking into this soon. I also need to replace the valve cover gasket as my bolts were loose and it was dripping a few drops of oil - I tightened them up and they've been fine - I just don't feel like dropping 800 bucks on a VCG at the moment.

But all in all, the last 15k miles have been great once I did the ECU and PS pump. AC components needed to be done, and a did need a new radiator about 5k miles ago but other than that, all is well.
Old 09-08-17, 04:43 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 462 Likes on 387 Posts

I know the problem has already been resolved, but in case inlinedave is still around..
But those lights come on after a balance.
It's possible they messed up a speed sensor on your car when the were balancing your tires. A bad speed sensor would keep your ABS/Skid system from knowing what speed your wheels are going and trigger those lights.
Old 09-09-17, 03:26 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

I am glad the OP got his issue fixed but I'd suggest that sending the old ECU out for repair is a better less expensive option than sourcing a new or used ECU for your car. A new or used ECU has to be reprogrammed to your keys and your cars engine - I think the labor charge to reprogram the ECU would be more than the $200-225 charge (including shipping) for sending out your old ECU for repair. The downside on repair is that your car is down for 7-10 days waiting on repair and return of ECU. There is also a possibility that your old ECU cannot be repaired but I think majority can be repaired, if it can't the charge is minimal.
Old 09-10-17, 10:26 AM
emg2919
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
I am glad the OP got his issue fixed but I'd suggest that sending the old ECU out for repair is a better less expensive option than sourcing a new or used ECU for your car. A new or used ECU has to be reprogrammed to your keys and your cars engine - I think the labor charge to reprogram the ECU would be more than the $200-225 charge (including shipping) for sending out your old ECU for repair. The downside on repair is that your car is down for 7-10 days waiting on repair and return of ECU. There is also a possibility that your old ECU cannot be repaired but I think majority can be repaired, if it can't the charge is minimal.
Exactly. This was just it - it was cheaper to get a used one on eBay and have it reflashed then to be without a car for 7-10 days to get it fixed. To each their own.
The following users liked this post:
Jabberwock (09-10-17)
Old 12-31-18, 01:34 PM
greddy09sc
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry, I was on mobile for that post.

I realize the tire balance wouldn't turn on dash lights, but my initial thought and inclination was that while they were doing rotors, pads, tire rotation, that they bumped a sensor on the wheel, causing the lights to go off.

The ECU could have gone bad, at the same time of the work done on the wheels and tires, I just thought it was suspect because of the timing - within <30 miles the lights went off.

New (used) ECU, flashed. New power steering pump (steering was also difficult after these lights went on) - couldnt hurt.

I now have 165K on it - a/c components replaced and have ice cold AC, everything else has been great. My only outstanding issue is a clank/noise that happens when I turn the wheel real far one way or the other and/or go over a curb of some sort. I think it's control arm bushings or control arms? I will be looking into this soon. I also need to replace the valve cover gasket as my bolts were loose and it was dripping a few drops of oil - I tightened them up and they've been fine - I just don't feel like dropping 800 bucks on a VCG at the moment.

But all in all, the last 15k miles have been great once I did the ECU and PS pump. AC components needed to be done, and a did need a new radiator about 5k miles ago but other than that, all is well.

Same thing is happening to me. Took my car to discount tire to balance and rotate. Immediately, backing out of parking space, noticed a light clanking/twitches coming from steering wheel and front tire from a full turn. After about 100 miles, these lights came on.

So, getting a new ECU fix the problem?

Quick Reply: Brake, ABS, VSC, VSC off (dash lights),no speedometer, steering difficult