SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Propper procedure for jacking up vehicle and using jack stands

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-14, 05:45 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Propper procedure for jacking up vehicle and using jack stands

I'm looking for the correct procedure to jack up my sc and transfer to jack stands. I searched for this in the forum, but I'm afraid I could not find what I needed.

Specifically, when you use the jack points as directed in the owners manual, how do you use the jack stands? That is, if I am using my jack on the jack point location, where do I put the jack stands?

Can I just put the jack stands a couple inches from the recommended location and lower my jack to replace by jack stands? Since the recommended jack points are occupied by the jack, where do I put the jack stands?

I appreciate your help!!
Old 06-30-14, 06:37 AM
Lexeffect
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBrett
I'm looking for the correct procedure to jack up my sc and transfer to jack stands. I searched for this in the forum, but I'm afraid I could not find what I needed.

Specifically, when you use the jack points as directed in the owners manual, how do you use the jack stands? That is, if I am using my jack on the jack point location, where do I put the jack stands?

Can I just put the jack stands a couple inches from the recommended location and lower my jack to replace by jack stands? Since the recommended jack points are occupied by the jack, where do I put the jack stands?

I appreciate your help!!
This is a good topic and one that should be addressed to all the Forum members who wish to service their SC430. I use a low profile 3- ton floor jack and four 3- ton jack stands. I use the recommended jack points underneath the vehicle. To clarify, you can either go a couple of inches to the side of the recommended jack locations and do each corner individually, or more simply, jack up the front half using the central cross member underneath the front of the car and then jack up the rear of the car from underneath the rear diff. case.

First set the parking brake and or chock the vehicle. In the front I position the floor jack underneath the central cross member. It is safe to jack the vehicle up using this point. (Make sure you are squarely underneath the cross member and not the oil pan or anything else of consequence.). I then position jacks on either side of the vehicle using the recommended jack points or the vehicle's frame rails. (This prevents possible folding over of the pinch welds). Lower the vehicle slowly onto the jack stands. Check vehicle stability on jack stands before removing the floor jack completely. This way if the vehicle is unstable and slips off one of the jack stands by accident it will only drop one quarter of an inch onto the floor jack.

I then position the floor jack underneath the rear diff. (Also a recommended jack point). After lifting the rear of the vehicle to the same height as the front, I position 2 more jack stands at the recommended locations for the rear and lower the vehicle slowly and safely down. Make sure to check that the SC430 rests firmly upon the jack stands before going underneath to service the vehicle. A few shoves in both locations will help to verify this. Again, keep the floor jack underneath the rear diff. for safety when checking for any movement at the rear of the SC430... When servicing is complete, reverse the process.

This process has worked well for me in the past. I'm sure other members may have their own approach. Feel free to enlighten us if you have a better method. (Aside from a commercial hoist of course...)

Last edited by Lexeffect; 06-30-14 at 06:53 AM.
Old 06-30-14, 06:58 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Dear LexEffect, thank you for the excellent response.

Could you please clarrify the statement "you can either go a couple of inches to the side of the recommended jack locations and do each corner individually, or more simply, jack up the front half using the central cross member underneath the front of the car and then jack up the rear of the car from underneath the rear diff. case.".

Are you saying that it is ok I used my jack stand a couple inches away from the reccomended jack point? And where is the "central cross member"? I didn't see reference to that in the owners manual.

Thank you very much for your help!!
Old 06-30-14, 09:03 AM
Lexeffect
Driver

Dear LexEffect, thank you for the excellent response.

Could you please clarrify the statement "you can either go a couple of inches to the side of the recommended jack locations and do each corner individually, or more simply, jack up the front half using the central cross member underneath the front of the car and then jack up the rear of the car from underneath the rear diff. case.".

Are you saying that it is ok I used my jack stand a couple inches away from the reccomended jack point? And where is the "central cross member"? I didn't see reference to that in the owners manual.

Thank you very much for your help!!
To clarify, if jacking up one corner of the SC430 at a time, it is okay that you position your floor jack slightly fore or aft of the "Recommended jack point" in the owners manual. That way, you can install a jack stand in the recommended spot without having the floor jack occupying the same spot at the same time. Personally, jacking the front of the SC430 up using the cross member and jacking the rear of the SC430 up using the rear differential case is the way to go in my opinion. Less work, easier operation and also saving some time. It may not be stated in our owners manual, but is in the Lexus Service Manuals. The suspension cross member I refer to is black in color and approximately 3-4 inches in width and is located immediately behind the oil pan of the SC430. (Approx. one inch to the rear of the oil pan). Again, although an excellent jack point for the front of the SC430, please be cautious that the floor jack you are using to jack up the vehicle is centered and positioned squarely underneath this suspension cross member and not under anything else that could get damaged while jacking up the SC430, like the oil pan itself. Don't be afraid to use it. It works wonderfully. I have included an image of the underside of Shawn's Lexus SC430 for clarification. You will see the red sway bar. Behind that is the oil pan, and finally, behind the oil pan is the suspension cross member.
Attached Thumbnails Propper procedure for jacking up vehicle and using jack stands-333936d1403815074-sway-bar-img_20140624_143924_927.jpg  
Old 06-30-14, 09:09 AM
Lexeffect
Driver

I have included a second pic of the same view with the suspension cross member highlighted with green arrow to eliminate any confusion...
Attached Thumbnails Propper procedure for jacking up vehicle and using jack stands-333936d1403815074-sway-bar-img_20140624_143924_927.jpg  
Old 06-30-14, 09:12 AM
Lexeffect
Driver

Shout outs to ShawnOk for the nice pic he provided of the underside of his beautiful SC430. I believe this is his. Please correct me if I am mistaken...
Old 06-30-14, 09:55 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Lexeffect,

Thank you for the useful picture and description. As a sidenote question, is that the drain oil plug in the diagram just to the left/northwest of the green arrow about 1 inch? I have been searching for a diagram of the drain plug location to no avail. By the way, the underside of your car is beautiful and especially those red sway bars!!
Old 06-30-14, 10:26 AM
Lexeffect
Driver

Lexeffect,

Thank you for the useful picture and description. As a sidenote question, is that the drain oil plug in the diagram just to the left/northwest of the green arrow about 1 inch? I have been searching for a diagram of the drain plug location to no avail. By the way, the underside of your car is beautiful and especially those red sway bars!!
The oil drain plug is located just a few inches to the left of the green arrow. (Northwest). It is not one of the vertical screws one inch away from the green arrow, but rather juts out from the oil pan at a 45 degree angle. I have included a third pic of the oil drain plug highlighted with a Blue arrow.
Old 06-30-14, 10:44 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Thank you!!
Old 06-30-14, 01:31 PM
Lexeffect
Driver

Thank you!!
My pleasure LexBrett... Good luck with servicing your Lexus SC430 and many miles of happy motoring to you!
Old 06-30-14, 05:52 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Hey! That's my car!!! Glad my pics can serve multiple functions for the member of this forum! That's the TRUE ClubLexus moral! Helping each other to make the most of our machines! The Pursuit of Perfection! Booyah!!!

Ps. I'm pretty perturbed that the Wiki Lexus page doesn't have a photo of the SC430. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexus. Additionally, I believe the page to have an error stating that 2001 was the first model....

Last edited by ShawnOk; 06-30-14 at 05:59 PM.
Old 07-01-14, 09:20 AM
Lexeffect
Driver

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
Hey! That's my car!!! Glad my pics can serve multiple functions for the member of this forum! That's the TRUE ClubLexus moral! Helping each other to make the most of our machines! The Pursuit of Perfection! Booyah!!!

Ps. I'm pretty perturbed that the Wiki Lexus page doesn't have a photo of the SC430. Lexus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Additionally, I believe the page to have an error stating that 2001 was the first model....
Yes Shawn, that is INDEED your Lexus SC430 in the pics I used. Thank you! I gave you credit for the pic a few postings into the thread. The undercarriage pic is a good one for pointing out certain things for members! Worked great! As to the Lexus-Wikipedia link you provided... Good read. I have enjoyed it before, but it has been a few years now. I think what they meant by stating that the 2001 was the 'First' model was that it went into production in 2001 and was released as a 2002 model perhaps. As I have stated before, Lexus has made and continues to make the best cars in the world.
Old 07-15-15, 04:55 AM
lukeb
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Diff Jack Point

Hi,
I am new to the Lexus Sc430 having just brought one (amazing car!) and want to do some work on the brakes.
You mentioned that for jacking at the rear, to use the rear diff. To be honest, I have no idea what that is! Do you have a similar picture or diagram highlighting where this is or what it looks like?
Thanks!
Luke

Originally Posted by Lexeffect
I have included a second pic of the same view with the suspension cross member highlighted with green arrow to eliminate any confusion...
Old 07-15-15, 07:40 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

The rear differential or also known as the rear axel.

Please be very careful and have someone help you, always use jack stands. If you do not, the jack could fail and the car could fall on you and That would not be cool.

SAFETY First!

The owners manual may show jacking points.
Old 07-15-15, 07:30 PM
SC43052
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1

Raise the car with a floor jack using the differential for the rear and the sub frame in the front.

Place your jack stands only on a firm surface. Important: Use the same locations on the frame to place your jack stands as those indicated in the manual for using the scissor jack provided for changing a tire. If you choose to place the jack or a jack stand on the wrong point on the suspension a component can easily be bent and ruined (the same reason separate reinforced flat bed tie-down loops are provided - to prevent straps from being used across suspension components).

Ideally use jack stands in pairs, either two or four and use wheel chocks to prevent the car from rocking on the jack stands.

In addition to jack stands and wheel chocks, as a final safety measure, if your repair includes any aggressive pushing or pulling that might rock the car, remove a wheel and slide it under the edge of the frame in the corner where you are working to guarantee the car can't fall all the way to the floor and crush you.

Quick Reply: Propper procedure for jacking up vehicle and using jack stands