SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Replacing door speakers in SC430

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-14, 10:15 AM
mcgene
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Replacing door speakers in SC430

I've read a number of posts here via Google searches and decided to join the Club.

I just purchased a 2002 SC430 with less then 20K miles on it. While it looks brand new -- as you would expect the woofer door speakers are nasty.

I have limited knowledge about ohms and amps, etc. But, after reading a number of posts here and else where -- it seems staying with 8 ohm replacement speakers is the right thing to do.

Now, just finding the darn things is the problem. I'm not sure I want to simply replace the ML speakers with more ML speakers -- nor do I want the hassle of repairing the ones in the door.

I've found some speakers at the two links below, and if anyone has the time to comment, I'd surely appreciate it.

BTW, I called a local audio car shop who claims they have replaced a ton of these front door speakers in the SC430. I asked what they were installing -- Infinity speakers that are 2 ohm!!!! Good grief -- I think I'll keep my distance.

Thanks for reading this far -- and responding if you choose.

http://www.turnswitch.com/speakers.htm
http://www.audiosavings.com/products...KER/XM698.aspx
Old 06-23-14, 11:49 AM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I use the DC Gold 6X9 front speakers. to me they are the best speakers and 3 year replacement free. Great Sounding Speakers. 8 ohm like our cars and after 3 year they will rebuild them to new cheap also they are waterproof.

Last edited by bacardi11; 06-23-14 at 12:04 PM.
Old 06-23-14, 11:53 AM
NAmVet68
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

eBay usually has some NOS ML speakers available, and has a few door speakers on right now for about $175-190/each. Just do a search on "SC430 speaker" and they will pop right up.

About 95% of the time, all you need to do is replace the foam surround, which is about $20-30 bucks for a pair, and VERY simple to do (especially the door speakers). If you still didn't want to mess with it, ask the stereo shop for a price on pulling your speakers, replacing the foam surrounds, and re-installing them if you supplied the kit. A good shop should be happy to do that for you (especially those that deal with classic car restoration - they do it all the time).

Never hurts to ask.....
Old 06-23-14, 02:34 PM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

if you do a search on speakers, a ton of threads will show up. Myself I did the Polk.
Old 06-23-14, 06:53 PM
mcgene
Pit Crew

Thanks for the replies.

Curious about the Polk speakers. Which ones did you select? Were they 8 ohm?

-gene
Old 06-24-14, 09:21 AM
mandyfig

Yes 8 Ohms for the Polks peakers. They are not 6x9, I had to create an adapter. Search the thread that I posted my mini-DIY. Good luck. Am working on my rears shortly. At least tear it apart and see if they are still intact, although I doubt it.
Old 06-25-14, 02:56 PM
psu83
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I repaired my speakers for about $25 and about 90 minutes.
Old 06-25-14, 07:29 PM
BumpMaster
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

McGene, do a repair on the Mark Levinson speakers, which are really JBL speakers, which are quality speakers. The repair kit is 10 bucks or if your not handy a qualifies stereo shop can remove , repair and replace for you. a fair price would be about $175.00 If you go with polk or other after market replacements you may have a problem fitting the speakers in the door. There is very little room !
Old 06-26-14, 07:26 PM
mandyfig

Originally Posted by BumpMaster
McGene, do a repair on the Mark Levinson speakers, which are really JBL speakers, which are quality speakers. The repair kit is 10 bucks or if your not handy a qualifies stereo shop can remove , repair and replace for you. a fair price would be about $175.00 If you go with polk or other after market replacements you may have a problem fitting the speakers in the door. There is very little room !
Where is the $10 repair kit? Thanks.
Old 06-26-14, 07:30 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

I and a few members replaced the door 6x9 with a Rockford Fosgate PPS8-6 6.5" 8ohm midbass. It required a little modification with an adapter plate. I'm incredibly happy with this speaker. I also replaced the rears with Rockford Fosgate 4" 4 ohm speakers. Great sound and I get tons of compliments. Something to consider, also.
The following users liked this post:
MattInLex (03-22-20)
Old 06-26-14, 08:04 PM
mcgene
Pit Crew

Thanks for the continued help.
I decided not to be such a chicken and ordered the repair kit from simple speakers.
Not here yet but have been watching videos on both how to get the door panel off and how to repair the speakers.
For me when I get something kinda new it takes a while before I'm comfortable with tearing into it.
I've read many fine posts about the fosgate and may go that route if the repair is not successful.
Again, thanks for the comments
Gene
Old 06-27-14, 05:07 PM
Moondog
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

MCGENE, I would recommend you try to repair them before replacing them. I replaced my front speakers before I realized this was as easy as it was... I put Fosgates in the doors. Honestly, I am not that happy with them. I think the OEM speakers sound better. Now, to qualify this, I have done the full harness replacement from BeatSonic and new radio...great, great addition! I did the work myself and it is easy to do if you take your time (I didn't put new radio and harness in...I paid to have that done...but I believe I could do the work). There are DIY on line here that will give detailed info. On the back speakers and the woofer I repaired them for $22 bucks or so, and bought them off of Ebay. The sound was absolutely amazing! I would highly suggest you try the repair first, then go from there. As said earlier, the speakers are hearty, the foam is not. It dry rots quickly... I hope this helps.
Old 06-27-14, 06:20 PM
mandyfig

I was happy with my OEM speakers until they gave up. I would get OEM replacements except they are quite expensive compared to aftermarket speakers. The OEM speakers are however balanced and calibarated for our SC430 acoustics.
Old 06-30-14, 03:35 AM
psu83
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When doing the repair, be careful which video you follow. There is one that talks about trimming the foam and that is completely wrong. Once you have the speaker out of the door there is a retaining ring around the rim of the speaker. It is held on by 4 screws. Remove that ring, remove the old foam, install the new foam, and re-install the ring. This ring will actually help hold down the outer edge of the foam.
Old 06-30-14, 04:27 AM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

mandy
I use the Dc Gold speaker in mine and when I change to them I seen a major change in the sound of my radio to the good. the amp also give it the bass I needed. the stock speakers just don't have it. speakers make a big difference. you can hear the sound difference. its like having a great home system at home speakers are the thing. to me the ML radio sounds great but what comes out at the end is what counts. a good sub and bass amp makes a world of difference on these car.

Last edited by bacardi11; 06-30-14 at 05:07 AM.

Quick Reply: Replacing door speakers in SC430