SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

TPM confusion

Old 02-12-14, 02:38 PM
C-COOP
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPM confusion

Have an 05 SC430. Bought a second set on Lexus rims with winter tires off a guy. Put them on last winter, obviously the TPM sensor blinks - so I take the car to the dealer to get the sensors programmed on the new tires. Zero problems, works fine. So summer comes around and I put the original wheels back on and push the TPM button under the glove box and again zero problems and works fine. Now here is where I am confused, This winter I put on the winter tires and did NOT push the button and the TPM light never came on?? Can the dealer set all 8 wheels to the same code or something like that?? Why would that light not blink without pushing that button.

Also: it will still blink if the tire pressure is low.
Old 02-12-14, 04:59 PM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I think that it takes some time for the computer to realize that the programmed sensors are no longer on the car.

Not sure but what happened to me is that I bought a SC430 and had it shipped from out of state. After about 100 miles I got a blinking TPMS light. I brought it to the local dealer and they told me that the programmed sensors did not match the ones in the wheels of the car. They said it takes about 100 miles or so before the computer would catch it and flash the light. Solid light means low pressure.. Blinking light means malfunction.

They programmed the car for the current sensors and it has been fine for a year. It has reported low tire pressure when I got a nail in a tire after that so it works fine.

JR

Last edited by FLYCT; 02-12-14 at 05:07 PM.
Old 02-12-14, 07:37 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

In regards to my experience with the TPMS, I recently had winter runflat tires mounted and found that after a night, I woke up to the TPMS on in a blinking state and beeping every 5 minutes. I stopped to check pressure and my front right tire was 0psi. I filled up air and went on to work as I didn't have time to investigate further, when I got out of work the light was on again and in a solid light state. I check the tire and it was down to 25 psi. It seems that the mounting shop ruined my all four of my chrome rims with their mounting machine (going to small claims court soon). I later had the bead leak repaired at another shop, and now no light. I feel that if the psi drops to a certain dangerous point (or malfunction as FLYCT stated) then the solid light turns to a blinking light with the audio warning, indicating "get help immediately". Just my impression, though.

PS. I'll be starting a thread on the wheel damage soon for opinions on what I should do as I've never been to small claims court, and would appreciate any advice.

Last edited by ShawnOk; 02-12-14 at 07:41 PM.
Old 02-12-14, 09:29 PM
OBP
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by C-COOP
Have an 05 SC430. Bought a second set on Lexus rims with winter tires off a guy. Put them on last winter, obviously the TPM sensor blinks - so I take the car to the dealer to get the sensors programmed on the new tires. Zero problems, works fine. So summer comes around and I put the original wheels back on and push the TPM button under the glove box and again zero problems and works fine. Now here is where I am confused, This winter I put on the winter tires and did NOT push the button and the TPM light never came on?? Can the dealer set all 8 wheels to the same code or something like that?? Why would that light not blink without pushing that button.

Also: it will still blink if the tire pressure is low.
I had this experience too when I first got my winter tires and rims. Our TPMS takes some time to recognize that the sensors have changed. Three weeks ago when I swapped rims and winter tires and purposely did not press the switch, it took the car about 10-15 miles of driving before my warning light came on. Pressed the switch, switched off the car and did my errand. Came back, restarted the car and the blinking light stopped.
Old 03-25-14, 04:06 PM
StillLine
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default My TPMS Experience

Here's my recent experience regarding TPMS sensors. I purchased a set of G-Spider wheels from a fellow CL member. The wheels came complete with good rubber and TPMS sensors. The wheels came off a Lexus IS 350 AWD. I installed the wheels and pushed the switch in the glove-box to the position for a second set of sensors. So far the light is on solid. Took the SC to the local Toyota dealer and they were unable to register the sensors to my car. They said that they called a Lexus dealer and apparently the sensors that work in the SC's are color coded and the sensors from an IS are not. Therefore, the Lexus TPMS sensors in my G-Spider wheels are not compatible with the SC. Bummer. As long as the light simply stays on solid, and there are no beeps or other distractions, I'll be fine with that.

StillLine
Old 03-25-14, 04:31 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Sorry to hear about your woes. Rims look great tho! I'm in a similar situation. I was told to write down the frequency code on each sensor to help Lexus program them. But the seller who sold them to me (via this forum) told me they were from a 02' SC430. I took them to the local dealership to confirm that they were OEM Lexus parts and compatible to be programmed at a later date. According to Sewell Parts Online and as you pointed out, each color is coded to a position on the vehicle. So far so good. Haven't mounted the new tires and rims yet due to the continued winter weather, but will update with either my celebration or disappointment in regards to the TPMS. How much were they estimating the reprogramming before the incompatible "incident."

Last edited by ShawnOk; 03-25-14 at 04:36 PM.
Old 03-25-14, 04:47 PM
StillLine
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
How much were they estimating the reprogramming before the incompatible "incident."
I was quoted $96.00.
Old 03-25-14, 08:06 PM
OBP
Advanced

Originally Posted by StillLine
I was quoted $96.00.
That sounds about right. Local Lexus dealer charged me that to program my winter set TPMS into my car a few years back.

Still going strong today.
Old 03-31-14, 02:33 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by StillLine
Here's my recent experience regarding TPMS sensors. I purchased a set of G-Spider wheels from a fellow CL member. The wheels came complete with good rubber and TPMS sensors. The wheels came off a Lexus IS 350 AWD. I installed the wheels and pushed the switch in the glove-box to the position for a second set of sensors. So far the light is on solid. Took the SC to the local Toyota dealer and they were unable to register the sensors to my car. They said that they called a Lexus dealer and apparently the sensors that work in the SC's are color coded and the sensors from an IS are not. Therefore, the Lexus TPMS sensors in my G-Spider wheels are not compatible with the SC. Bummer. As long as the light simply stays on solid, and there are no beeps or other distractions, I'll be fine with that.

StillLine
Great looking rims, all your autos are superb!
Old 04-01-14, 09:04 AM
StillLine
Lead Lap

Thumbs up Thank you!

Originally Posted by tromly
Great looking rims, all your autos are superb!
Thanks tromly! I'm liking these G-Spider rims more each time I look at them.

I'm considering taking the TPMS sensors out of the original chrome wheels and making these wheels my primary set.

StillLine
Old 04-03-14, 04:28 PM
OBP
Advanced

Just to reconfirm how the TPMS warning light presents itself, today when I swapped my winter tire/rim set out and put on my OEM rim/all season tire set, I purposely did not hit the switch. All my tires were set at 35 psi already. Upon starting the car and driving about 100 feet, there was a flashing warning light with a beep. The warning light remained on and the beep continued every 2 or 3 minutes even after I hit the switch in the glove box to tell the TPMS to read my OEM set sensors. But the warning light and beeps stopped after another 2 miles of driving. So I conclude that my TPMS set is all in good working order.