SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Help with rebuilt 2002 SC430

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-13, 07:57 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help with rebuilt 2002 SC430

Hi guys, a buddy of mines was interested in a wrecked SC430. He was going to find cheap used parts and take it a bodyshop to fix and daily it. The seller had originally told us over the phone that it had 34k on it. Turns out it really has 80k. They're asking $4,900 and they sound like they aren't willing to go much lower. What do y'all think is a fair price? And about how much will it cost to repair? Is it even worth it? Thanks guys

As you can tell by the photos the car will need a new hood, grill, front bumper, fender, driver side headlight, driver door and core support repairs.

Old 09-27-13, 08:10 AM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks like the airbag deployed. That's not an SC430 steering wheel. The car is totaled. Meaning it would cost more to repair it than the car is worth. Throw another $5,000 on top of that and your friend is not getting a very good deal.
Old 09-27-13, 08:13 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah that came out of the old SC didn't it?
Old 09-27-13, 08:16 AM
Yes

Probably. I wouldn't take this car for free if I had to repair it. It's a parts car. No one in their right mind would try to fix it.
Old 09-27-13, 08:50 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

My buddy John has found cheap parts. Bodywork shouldn't cost that much right? Unless there is major frame damage under the hood? Haven't seen the car in person. Wanted to get advice and input before driving out. Thanks again

$175 - headlight
$200 - bumper
$75 - grill
$60 - fender liner
$200 - fender
$300 - hood
Old 09-27-13, 09:36 AM
Yes

You can add to that a steering wheel and airbag for sure. Looks like the navigation might have been ripped out of it too. I suspect you're going to need a lot more parts than you think you need. And then there's the fact that the title probably shows it as totaled.

Your friend will save a lot of headaches and probably a lot of money if he just finds a higher milage car that hasn't been wrecked. I would much rather buy something like this '02 SC430 than even think about touching that wreck.
Old 09-27-13, 09:44 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

I feel for that price, for a vehicle that will need so much repair, you're getting robbed. $30-35k, maybe. The fact that the airbag deployed is not a good sign, overall structurally speaking. Just my opinion. Also, you should check the electrical components, such as the amp, speakers, roof function, etc. Those things that we as everyday owners have noticed problems with can really add up. If you do decide to travel down the repair road, why not go aftermarket on some of the exterior parts like the front bumper? Also, I don't feel that the door needs to be replaced. From my experience, a good body shop can probably hammer that leading edge out. Anyway, just my thoughts. Good luck in whichever decision you make.
Old 09-27-13, 09:49 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Liquid SC
You can add to that a steering wheel and airbag for sure. Looks like the navigation might have been ripped out of it too. I suspect you're going to need a lot more parts than you think you need. And then there's the fact that the title probably shows it as totaled.

Your friend will save a lot of headaches and probably a lot of money if he just finds a higher milage car that hasn't been wrecked. I would much rather buy something like this '02 SC430 than even think about touching that wreck.
^Agreed, I would rather have a clean car than a rebuilt one. But its my friend, and he doesn't wanna fly out just to get a car, but thanks for the link.

Title is rebuilt, but that doesn't matter to him.

Honestly, he would just keep the SC300/400 steering wheel lol.

I think the navigation is still there.
Old 09-27-13, 09:56 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
I feel for that price, for a vehicle that will need so much repair, you're getting robbed. $30-35k, maybe. The fact that the airbag deployed is not a good sign, overall structurally speaking. Just my opinion. Also, you should check the electrical components, such as the amp, speakers, roof function, etc. Those things that we as everyday owners have noticed problems with can really add up. If you do decide to travel down the repair road, why not go aftermarket on some of the exterior parts like the front bumper? Also, I don't feel that the door needs to be replaced. From my experience, a good body shop can probably hammer that leading edge out. Anyway, just my thoughts. Good luck in whichever decision you make.
He wants to get it for as cheap as possible. Maybe like $3,000? Just send photos of the car to two bodyshop. Now just waiting for them to get back to us. Seller says everything is still working fine. The car just needs body work. Is aftermarket parts cheaper than used OEM parts? Yes the door can be repaired. Thanks
Old 09-27-13, 10:06 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Me, personally... if I had my mind made up and this was the car that I had my heart set on to buy and repair.... $35K max b'c there will always be more damage then expected. (radiator, A/C, electrical, etc). And depending on the style you want, some aftermarket parts are cheaper than OEM.
Old 09-27-13, 10:07 AM
GQD_GS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

have you seen the car in person yet? if not, bring a mechanic or body work guy and let them estimate the cost to fix. i'm guessing $8k to fix.

not worth the hassle
Old 09-27-13, 10:32 AM
Yes

There are a lot of little parts missing that he doesn't know he needs. There's probably suspension damage as well. I'm willing to bet an insurance adjustor looked at that car and put the repairs at $12,000 to $15,000. That's using aftermarket and used parts whenever possible.

If you're asking if it's a good idea, I don't think anyone will tell you it is. He's going to spend more money to get it repaired and have a worse car worth less money.

As far as driving across the country goes, you can have a car shipped for about $500. I would rather buy the Florida car sight unseen and have it shipped. Or ask a forum member in the area to take a quick look at it and give it a test drive. Or just keep looking closer to home.
Old 09-27-13, 12:17 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
Me, personally... if I had my mind made up and this was the car that I had my heart set on to buy and repair.... $35K max b'c there will always be more damage then expected. (radiator, A/C, electrical, etc). And depending on the style you want, some aftermarket parts are cheaper than OEM.
I think the most he wants to put in is $3k lol

Originally Posted by GQD_GS4
have you seen the car in person yet? if not, bring a mechanic or body work guy and let them estimate the cost to fix. i'm guessing $8k to fix.

not worth the hassle
Going to look at it tomorrow. The photos weren't that great. Would have a better idea after seeing it in person.

Originally Posted by Liquid SC
There are a lot of little parts missing that he doesn't know he needs. There's probably suspension damage as well. I'm willing to bet an insurance adjustor looked at that car and put the repairs at $12,000 to $15,000. That's using aftermarket and used parts whenever possible.

If you're asking if it's a good idea, I don't think anyone will tell you it is. He's going to spend more money to get it repaired and have a worse car worth less money.

As far as driving across the country goes, you can have a car shipped for about $500. I would rather buy the Florida car sight unseen and have it shipped. Or ask a forum member in the area to take a quick look at it and give it a test drive. Or just keep looking closer to home.
Yes, there is always a chance that it will need more parts. Will have a better idea after seeing it tomorrow.

One of the reason why my buddy came to me was because I had a wrecked MK4 Supra a few years ago.

It was acutally a lot worse than this SC430. But I got new core support, hood, front bumper, headlights and radiator done for under $2k.

Good point, but hes one of those people that wants to see something before getting it.

Anyways, thanks for all the input guys.
Old 09-27-13, 01:59 PM
fj40ih8mud
Pole Position

That front wheel looks moved back.

No way is my vote.

I got mine with about same miles for 12k in perfect condition, less oxygen sensor without a carfax report of being totaled.

I said before and will say it again, never get a wrecked convertible with any frame damage.
Old 09-28-13, 02:52 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

I don't think hes getting it. The seller is kinda an @ss and he won't go down that much from the $4.9k.

Thanks guys

Quick Reply: Help with rebuilt 2002 SC430