lower control arm bushing replacement question

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-13, 07:46 PM
lexfam01
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lower control arm bushing replacement question

Hey guys and gals,

I am having an issue with the car not feeling stable on the highway or at speeds over 50mph when I am on a curve and go over a roadwork patch. The cabin of the car seems to float way too much to the side, almost like hydroplaining although the wheels stay put on the road.

After describing this to a mechanic, he said it sounds like my lower control arm bushings are gone. He looked at them and confirmed it, the rubber bushings that control the side to side action are cracked and worn out. He said that he is unable to just replace the bushing and has to special order the whole arm from the dealer (approx 200$ each arm).

I went to get a second opinion and another mechanic basically told me the same thing except the price on the part went down to 175 per arm with 2-3 hours labor.

I ran across this thread noting that sewell has arms / bushings as after market parts. I dont mind paying the guy to install them (and lower my car by 1.5 inch by switching springs at the same time) but dont want to pay dealer price for parts if I dont have to.

Is switching bushings not a DIY job? (i dont have a press or a tool to yank the bushings out and install new bushings)?

I cannot seem to find the sewell part number for these arms (or separate bushings)
Are the sewell aftermarket parts as good as or better than OEM or do you recommend going with original complete arm?
While he is there, what else should he replace?

Thanks!
(the thread I got the sewell parts is this: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...hase-size.html )
Old 02-16-13, 06:39 AM
hlthlnk
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

To answer your question about Sewell, that is a Lexus dealer that sells only oem parts. I would also ck the shocks since they also can have that floating effect on the car. I replaced my shocks with coilovers about a year ago and the car feels tight going around curves and bumps making me feel secure and not like I'm going to loose control. Make sure you register with Sewell as a club Lexus member to receive an additional discount. Good luck.
Old 02-16-13, 08:58 AM
MLHawk
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Switching bushings can be a DIY job if you have a press. If no press then you're SOL. I have done some older Chevy's with a heavy duty vise, oversize sockets, and heat, but wouldn't recommend that.

As for the prices you received for parts, are those OEM parts? $175 sounds low for OEM.
Old 02-16-13, 01:46 PM
lexfam01
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On sewell they want 121 for each arm (i hope they include the bushing). Am I reading the part list correctly and thats the part i need? Thanks!

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/oem-cat...C430-2003.html
part number 48069A
Old 02-16-13, 02:12 PM
MLHawk
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was looking at the upper arms by mistake.