SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Brake Caliper Covers - what size?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-16, 12:29 AM
Agent305
10th Gear

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default MGP Caliper Covers For 2007 Lexus SC430

After doing some research I decided to get caliper covers for my 2007 Lexus SC430. Here is what I found...

There are cheap plastic caliper covers that are supposed to be glued on to your calipers but they should be avoided as they actually cause your brakes to heat up as shown here...

Another way to install these plastic caliper covers is to drill out holes in your calipers....YIKES...keep in mind these plastic covers are not custom fit to your car and have to be cut as well as shown here...

They can be bought on eBay for short money but I would not put these on my Lexus as shown here...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4pcs-3D-Red-...ZSXHZn&vxp=mtr

What I found to put on my Lexus SC430 are aluminum caliper covers made by MGP in San Diego CA. They are the real deal and actually reduce the temperature of your brakes.

This video tells you about MGP caliper covers as shown by owner of MGP

This video shows some of the colors and covers available...

This video shows an actual field test on the heat reduction with MGP caliper covers installed vs bare caliper...

This is what the stock MGP caliper covers look like....

I chose to get MGP custom logo caliper covers like these

They are available in a variety of colors with silver lettering or you can pay extra for custom letter colors other than silver. There is an extra charge for the custom Lexus Logo so if you want the lettering other than silver you are paying extra for that as well.

Here are some photos of my Lexus Logo MGP caliper covers...

You can get these MGP caliper covers directly from MGP located in San Diego CA by calling 877.995.0003. I worked with Marisol Espinoza to make sure my order was processed properly and she was a pleasure to work with. She can be reached at ext 7060.

You can also order the MGP caliper covers from Hawk Brakes Direct online which is what I did. I worked with Laurie at 888-257-7149, ext. 420 and she was very helpful. Their website is here...

http://hawkbrakesdirect.com/p-412-br...er-covers.aspx

The front install was pretty straight forward but my mechanic preferred to remove the rear calipers and then install the MGP covers on them and then re-install the calipers again due to the heat shield on the rear calipers which would have required adjusting the MGP caliper clips.

Although I could have gotten these MGP caliper covers in red instead of black I didn't want them to be that noticeable because my Lady would be seeing red that I spent this on my Lexus instead of her "calipers".

If you are considering adding caliper covers to your Lexus I highly recommend getting MGP aluminum caliper covers instead of the cheap plastic ones.
The following 3 users liked this post by Agent305:
Felix (03-15-20), ivanj (05-01-19), Mark2002 (05-05-19)
Old 08-10-16, 07:26 AM
MrMark
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Paint the stock calipers......
Old 08-10-16, 11:59 PM
Agent305
10th Gear

Great idea

Why didn't I think of that? Probably because I don't drive an AMC Pacer (smile)
Old 08-11-16, 02:01 PM
Agent305
10th Gear

This Lexus Forum has helped me many times over the years with the (4) Lexus vehicles that I have owned. Although I have never posted before I thought by spending an hour and a half gathering up my info it would be my way of paying this forum back for all the help I have received. Hopefully someone will benefit from my post.

Thank you
The following users liked this post:
Mark2002 (05-05-19)
Old 08-11-16, 10:06 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

....appreciate the info Agent & pretty sure there are others that do also.
Old 08-12-16, 04:43 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

I have never been a fan of the covers for the reason some of videos demonstrated, heat build up. Paint can also cause additional heat but not nearly as much.

if you want the Lexus decal on the caliper, paint the caliper, apply the decal, then clearcoat over the decal.

you can find the decals on eBay.

also, that last video from MGP is interesting, here's why.

if you are going to take the temp of the caliper, it must be directly on the caliper because the materials are different. A caliper is made out of steel, the cover is aluminum and it is not completely touching the caliper, there is air between the surfaces.

if I were to use plastic covers, the temp would be even less...

if you drive your car easy you will be okay but if you drive hard don't install covers...

if the OEMs thought this was a good idea, they would sell them as an option, do any car manufactures sell caliper covers? If not, why?

last word...it's your car and you can do any mod you like!

Last edited by Bgw70; 11-10-19 at 12:47 AM.
Old 08-12-16, 06:45 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Bgw70
I have never been a fan of the covers for the reason some of videos demonstrated, heat build up. Paint can also cause additional heat but not nearly as much.

if you want he Lexus decal on the caliper, paint the caliper, apply the decal, then clearcoat over the decal.

you can find the decals on eBay.

also, that last video from MGP is interesting, here's why.

if you are going to take the temp of the caliper, it must be directly on the caliper because the materials are different. A caliper is made out of steel, the cover is aluminum and it is not completely touching the caliper, there is air between the surfaces.

if I were to use plastic covers, the temp would be even less...

if you drive your car easy you will be okay but if you drive hard don't install covers...

if He OEMs thought this was a good idea, they would sell them as an option, do any car manufactures sell caliper covers? If not, why?

last word...it's your car and you can do any mod you like!
Bgw, I agree whole heartedly
Old 08-12-16, 07:01 AM
sideswipe
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Agent305
This Lexus Forum has helped me many times over the years with the (4) Lexus vehicles that I have owned. Although I have never posted before I thought by spending an hour and a half gathering up my info it would be my way of paying this forum back for all the help I have received. Hopefully someone will benefit from my post.

Thank you
Thanks for this thread, seems like a quality and tested product. At the very least, you have warned us about buying the cheap plastic eBay caliper covers.

FYI I also bought a set and will let everyone know how it goes. Again, thanks for the useful info.
Old 08-14-16, 04:05 PM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I love how well these rear 6 piston caliper covers work with the 356mm rotor covers too. Haha. On a serious note. Just paint your stock ones but don't run covers.
Old 04-30-19, 03:50 AM
kingofbyte
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Agent305
After doing some research I decided to get caliper covers for my 2007 Lexus SC430. Here is what I found...

There are cheap plastic caliper covers that are supposed to be glued on to your calipers but they should be avoided as they actually cause your brakes to heat up as shown here...

Another way to install these plastic caliper covers is to drill out holes in your calipers....YIKES...keep in mind these plastic covers are not custom fit to your car and have to be cut as well as shown here...

They can be bought on eBay for short money but I would not put these on my Lexus as shown here...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4pcs-3D-Red-...ZSXHZn&vxp=mtr

What I found to put on my Lexus SC430 are aluminum caliper covers made by MGP in San Diego CA. They are the real deal and actually reduce the temperature of your brakes.

This video tells you about MGP caliper covers as shown by owner of MGP

This video shows some of the colors and covers available...

This video shows an actual field test on the heat reduction with MGP caliper covers installed vs bare caliper...

This is what the stock MGP caliper covers look like....

I chose to get MGP custom logo caliper covers like these

They are available in a variety of colors with silver lettering or you can pay extra for custom letter colors other than silver. There is an extra charge for the custom Lexus Logo so if you want the lettering other than silver you are paying extra for that as well.

Here are some photos of my Lexus Logo MGP caliper covers...

You can get these MGP caliper covers directly from MGP located in San Diego CA by calling 877.995.0003. I worked with Marisol Espinoza to make sure my order was processed properly and she was a pleasure to work with. She can be reached at ext 7060.

You can also order the MGP caliper covers from Hawk Brakes Direct online which is what I did. I worked with Laurie at 888-257-7149, ext. 420 and she was very helpful. Their website is here...

http://hawkbrakesdirect.com/p-412-br...er-covers.aspx

The front install was pretty straight forward but my mechanic preferred to remove the rear calipers and then install the MGP covers on them and then re-install the calipers again due to the heat shield on the rear calipers which would have required adjusting the MGP caliper clips.

Although I could have gotten these MGP caliper covers in red instead of black I didn't want them to be that noticeable because my Lady would be seeing red that I spent this on my Lexus instead of her "calipers".

If you are considering adding caliper covers to your Lexus I highly recommend getting MGP aluminum caliper covers instead of the cheap plastic ones.
Dredging this thread up, thank you Agent 305. I've always wanted to get my calipers the lexus racing blue color. I looked at these aluminum ones. Problem: Can't get them in Blue - bigger problem - only for LS's with RWD.

Painting looks like a lot of work to do properly. Thoughts?
The following users liked this post:
Mark2002 (05-05-19)
Old 04-30-19, 09:02 AM
digitatc
Instructor

Received 263 Likes on 182 Posts

Instead of buying the caliper cover, for half the price, you can get a set of powder coated reman calipers and be done with it. Well, unless you want to get the BBK look of the cover.
Old 04-30-19, 09:47 AM
kingofbyte
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where did you see them? Link?
Old 04-30-19, 10:38 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Kingofbyte, there are a couple of DIY threads on painting calipers. If memory serves me well, I believe that Mandyfig did the most recent one. Depending on your skillset and tool arrangement, it may be easier than you think. However, I do like digitatc's approach of buying rebuilt calipers and having them powdercoated. That way your car is only down for the time that you are actually replacing them.
Old 04-30-19, 11:16 AM
digitatc
Instructor

Received 263 Likes on 182 Posts

@Kingofbyte, search for Power Stop S2774 on rockauto. The front set is only 100 + $40 for core deposit. If you send the old ones back to PowerStop, they'll send you $40, so that's up to you. It's already RED power coated.
While you are at it, grab a set of stainless steel brake lines and do them all at the same time.
Old 04-30-19, 08:22 PM
Agent305
10th Gear

Originally Posted by kingofbyte
Dredging this thread up, thank you Agent 305. I've always wanted to get my calipers the lexus racing blue color. I looked at these aluminum ones. Problem: Can't get them in Blue - bigger problem - only for LS's with RWD.

Painting looks like a lot of work to do properly. Thoughts?
I would contact MGP directly and see if they can make the blue you are after. Mine are on a SC430 but it is a RWD so I did not have to ask about other options.

Thank you

Quick Reply: Brake Caliper Covers - what size?